Gibson Brands Forums

Dream Bird (63 Maple )

Surely looked forward to hear this and took the entire intro till the test-pilot arrived. Turned out it was easier on the eyes than the ears. And that the pilot couldn't really fly.                                So another guy was called in - couldn't play either.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  All in all a fair share of misbalance there - let's rewind and start over. Maybe find that clip with the Norman's Guitars man and Ray himself. 

Skeptical at this point. Perhaps this beauty just never was played in. But thanx for sharing. 

• Like 1

'Was wondering the same thing. Is this the same '63 in this Norman's clip (maple HummingDove begins at 2:08):

EDIT:   .   .   .     these are long scale? I didn't hear the bass response  they were hearing, and thought with the square shoulders there should be some to be had. The ADJ ceramic saddle + maple = an acquired taste ?

EDIT2: Mark A mentions how the Doves of that era had a darker burst on them. Certainly not an Iced Tea burst whose original burst has faded.

Edited by 62burst

7 minutes ago, 62burst said:

'Was wondering the same thing. Is this the same '63 in this Norman's clip (maple HummingDove begins at 2:08):

EDIT:   .   .   .     these are long scale? I didn't hear the bass response  they were hearing, and thought with the square shoulders there should be some to be had. The ADJ ceramic saddle + maple = an acquired taste ?

It's not the same guitar - Norman's has the 63 plastic bridge.                   Something tell me these are short scaled, but there probably were variations.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

EDIT2: Mark A mentions how the Doves of that era had a darker burst on them. Certainly not an Iced Tea burst whose original burst has faded.

It’s not the same one since Ray purchased it from a lady .

I think these maple birds were all long scale . 

JC

7 minutes ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

If Marks explanation holds water you are right - which makes the Hummingdove rather uninteresting, , , , eeeeh apart from the fact of that the real Ds had T-O-M bridges. 

(the mid-sentence above hereby dismissed) 

4 minutes ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

JC

That is what some internet looking was saying. But as Emin7 was suggesting- specs could jump around. I thought I'd heard Mark Agnesi, or someone mention it, if not in that Norm's demo, maybe some other video. But in the above Norm's clip, he made it sound like Gibson made too many Doves (maple), so they put Hummingbird pickguards on them and sold them as HB's. Ok to do a bit of oversimplification for those who don't go into the weeds of guitar nerdom, but if that was the case, wouldn't these have the long scale Dove neck then, too?

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

That is what some internet looking was saying. But as Emin7 was suggesting- specs could jump around. I thought I'd heard Mark Agnesi, or someone mention it, if not in that Norm's demo, maybe some other video. But in the above Norm's clip, he made it sound like Gibson made too many Doves (maple), so they put Hummingbird pickguards on them and sold them as HB's. Ok to do a bit of oversimplification for those who don't go into the weeds of guitar nerdom, but if that was the case, wouldn't these have the long scale Dove neck then, too?

SSbi8y7.jpg Excellent, Watson, excellent - you can take the Monday off and go fishing.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Or if it rains spend it in the office with an open b of scotch and my violin. . 

This one came off more as a parody - Larry, Moe and Curley visit a vintage guitar store.   Ok, that was not nice.  But they did manage to make the guitar sound muddy and lifeless when fingerpicked.  Based on this video I would be holding out for an Epiphone Frontier.

Edited by zombywoof

5 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

If Marks explanation holds water you are right - which makes the Hummingdove rather uninteresting, , , , eeeeh apart from the fact of that the real Ds had T-O-M bridges. 

(the mid-sentence above hereby dismissed) 

I understand that if they are long scale it makes them uninteresting to you  …but not for me .The whole point of it  for me is it’s the best of both worlds .

I love the regular birds as well but these just tickle my maple obsession.

From a sold listing of a different one I pulled :

Up for your consideration is this fabulous Gibson Maple Hummingbird. The serial number is 104906 which clearly makes this one of the famed 1963 Hummingbirds that were made from the Dove bodies due to lack of Dove sales and a high demand for Hummingbirds that year. These aren't your average Hummingbird. They have the harder maple back and sides and a longer scale length that make them unique from most Gibsons in sound. They are BOOMERS to say the least and this one is no exception

So I guess that does back up the idea these are long scale .

JC

1 hour ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

I understand that if they are long scale it makes them uninteresting to you  …but not for me .The whole point of it  for me is it’s the best of both worlds .

I love the regular birds as well but these just tickle my maple obsession.

I too am very interested - particularly in short scales.

JCV -  did you read my fourth sentence about the second ? The ceramic saddle/possibly long scale combo made me think twice.                                                                                                                                                                         Though it of course is heard on especially later 60s squares.     But they were heavily braced, remember. . 

5 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

SSbi8y7.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Dove neck ? , , , need to think twice twice. . 

6 hours ago, 62burst said:

If you by Dove neck mean the later well known 3 piece maple neck, the first wave of Doves don't seem to have these. Still flying in the fog about this. . 

The 90ies quilted maple Bird I own is short scale,  if that means anything here.  I haven't done any research on the 63 scale, but I think I am going to do so just for an answer!   edit:  True Vintage Guitar says 1453 at 25.5.

Edited by Hall

3 minutes ago, Hall said:

The 90ies quilted maple Bird I own is short scale,  if that means anything here.  I haven't done any research on the 63 scale, but I think I am going to do so just for an answer!

Good idea ^ look forward to the result, , , and would more than like to hear your guitar. 

As a hot-blooded admirer of both square short scale hogs and long scale maples, this combo has been on my wish-to-try-list for quite a while. Not easy to find though.

2 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Good idea ^ look forward to the result, , , and would more than like to hear your guitar. 

As a hot-blooded admirer of both square short scale hogs and long scale maples, this combo has been on my wish-to-try-list for quite a while. Not easy to find though.

See my edit please.  *As I have said before, wish I had the computer skills to post sounds and pics, but just never got in early enough to learn much on the computer.

1 hour ago, Hall said:

See my edit please.  *As I have said before, wish I had the computer skills to post sounds and pics, but just never got in early enough to learn much on the computer.

Okay then - so let us await the research results. 

In 63 there were 1453 made at 25.5 scale, per True Vintage  Guitar.com.  That was enough research for my curiosity!  The short scale maple Bird I have was a 90ies run for Guitar Center in Cincy.  I walked into its sound unsuspecting and was taken by it while window shopping.  

20 minutes ago, Hall said:

The short scale maple Bird I have was a 90ies run for Guitar Center in Cincy.  I walked into its sound unsuspecting and was taken by it while window shopping.  

I often can't remember what day it is, but 'Bird details tend to stick a little bit better. . . I thought your Honeyburst quilt was a custom order. Or by custom order, it was a special run for GC, like the one GC did in 2007? Yours is a looker, IIRC, but you could always refresh our memories with a pic (hint).

I'll start:

oh, that quilt (from the 2007 GC run):

dc7BuZf.png

a nice fine-grained top:

mT0Bknd.png

Edited by 62burst

2 hours ago, Hall said:

In 63 there were 1453 made at 25.5 scale, per True Vintage  Guitar.com.  That was enough research for my curiosity!  

Did a little investigation too - the ones seen were all long. 1453, , , not a small number. And maybe some were added in 64.                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Wonder how many survived. Should we guess 7-8-900. 

26 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Did a little investigation too - the ones seen were all long. 1453, , , not a small number. And maybe some were added in 64.                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Wonder how many survived. Should we guess 7-8-900. 

Mine survived 😉

t7evl2g.jpg

2 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

And in extremely good health. If this gem is the maple version, can we please hear it. 

Sorry it's mahogany.  Sounds incredible though. Picture makes it looks a bit better condition than it is. Has a couple of cracks and numerous dings. No neck reset though, replacement bridge and frets the rest is original.

Edited by Jalex
  • Like 1

62burst - I have just recently parted with the  Honeyburst Bird.  The only custom order quilted maple guitar I still have on hand is the SJ-200.  Both those guitars were done by order with the help of the guitarstrummer (once on the forum) and Paul at the Music Villa.    The G.C. Bird, I think they called  Heritage finish.  

• Like 1