Gibson Brands Forums

42 Southern Jumbo (no banner)

JuanCarlosVejar

Definitely an interesting guitar, with features placing it among the primordial batch of Southern(er) Jumbos. Cool to see the white or silver (?) script logo. No truss rod.  It would be nice to see it in natural light, though. . . the harsh light where the guitar was demo'ed makes it look like an overspray. It did sound very good when he was playing it with a pick.

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

That guitarhq site has a photo of a '42 SJ with no Banner nor adjustable truss rod.

My question though is why the earliest Banners did not have the interior center back strip.  It is not like Gibson had not been using them before the Banners.  

Guitarhq lifted that photo from a post of mine, probably on UMGF.

These guitars really are an enigma. The lack of a trussrod says 1944. The logo says pre-1942. The fingerboard binding says way post 1945.

I'll have some more revelations for the second edition of KG, due in a couple of years (since the publication of the original, I have come to possess copies of the original banner spec sheets. I'd post something here but it would immediately end up on guitarhq. 🙂 )

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

My question though is why the earliest Banners did not have the interior center back strip.  It is not like Gibson had not been using them before the Banners.  

. . . maybe a good bunch of them had one-piece backs. The '43/'44 (that's around here somewhere) has the one-piece back. And for some reason,  it has the center back strip on the inside.  ?.

51 minutes ago, 62burst said:

. . . maybe a good bunch of them had one-piece backs. The '43/'44 (that's around here somewhere) has the one-piece back. And for some reason,  it has the center back strip on the inside.  ?.

They  have  two piece backs.  You can see the ebony strip running down the center where the back pieces were joined.

1 hour ago, jt said:

Guitarhq lifted that photo from a post of mine, probably on UMGF.

These guitars really are an enigma. The lack of a trussrod says 1944. The logo says pre-1942. The fingerboard binding says way post 1945.

I'll have some more revelations for the second edition of KG, due in a couple of years (since the publication of the original, I have come to possess copies of the original banner spec sheets. I'd post something here but it would immediately end up on guitarhq. 🙂 )

Obviously no original research went into that site with everything being culled from various other sources - the good, the bad and the ugly.  If I recall the Banner section was pretty sparse until your research and the Banner Registry came about.  But if you take it with a grain of salt it is not a bad one stop shopping site.

Oooh, a second edition of the Kal Gals book.

Edited by zombywoof

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

...  But if you take it with a grain of salt it is not a bad one stop shopping site.

Oooh, a second edition of the Kal Gals book.

I take it with a whole salt shaker. No hard feelings. There's neither fame nor fortune in this for anybody. I crossed over my break even point for Kal Gals only shortly ago (I've funded artists copies and my travels to loads of cool events to which I was lucky enough to receive an invite).

But, well, this may change. A film producer and I will be premiering a clip from an upcoming Kalamazoo Gals documentary next month at AmericanaFest. A Gibson exec will participate in the event. The producer and I will take the documentary on the film festival circuit while we raise awareness of and funding for the dramatic adaptation for the silver screen. Oh, and the screenplay is in the works with some cool folks involved.

Can you say, "better to be lucky than talented?" I most certainly can.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jt said:

I take it with a whole salt shaker. No hard feelings. There's neither fame nor fortune in this for anybody. I crossed over my break even point for Kal Gals only shortly ago (I've funded artists copies and my travels to loads of cool events to which I was lucky enough to receive an invite).

But, well, this may change. A film producer and I will be premiering a clip from an upcoming Kalamazoo Gals documentary next month at AmericanaFest. A Gibson exec will participate in the event. The producer and I will take the documentary on the film festival circuit while we raise awareness of and funding for the dramatic adaptation for the silver screen. Oh, and the screenplay is in the works with some cool folks involved.

Can you say, "better to be lucky than talented?" I most certainly can.

Here's wishing you all the best - can't wait to see the results.