Gibson Brands Forums

The new acoustic guitar line

lancegould

I received an email today that introduced a new line of acoustic guitars. Well, the email states it’s based on an old blueprint from 1964. That may be the case however,  the blueprint shows an acoustic guitar with no sound hole on the top and one that appears to be on the side on the larger portion of the resonance chamber. The email states that “through testing “ the perfect spot for this “innovative” hole was found.  The only problem I see with this is it’s EXACTLY what BREEDLOVE guitars have been doing for probably ten years now. Most people are surely aware of this. If not, look it up. 

1 hour ago, jvi said:

"problem"  ?   why?

I think what the OP sees as a "problem" is that he got the impression that Gibson was claiming it was their "innovation".

But you know....

Many pre-war archtop acoustics had only "f" holes for acoustic projection that seemed sufficient enough for them to be played surrounded by all those "swing" era and big band horns.  So those off center sound ports must not be a detriment.  Personally, I've never played an ax with those, or heard one "close and personal", so I'll withhold  any judgement.  [wink]

Whitefang

Here is the definition of exclusive - an item produced by only one source. So keep eating what their feeding ya.

Here is Gibson's marketing blurb - INTRODUCING THE GENERATION COLLECTION ACOUSTICS, FEATURING THE EXCLUSIVE GIBSON PLAYER PORT™, PROVIDING A TRULY UNIQUE AND IMMERSIVE SONIC EXPERIENCE. NOW YOU CAN FINALLY “HEAR MORE OF YOU”

Look Taylor does it too, and did it before Gibson did if I am not mistaken.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/browse

McKnight does it too. Who ever they are? I guess they will be sued by Gibson pretty soon and they didn't get the memo of who the "C-ock of of the walk" is and that they got all the lawyers and are not afraid to litigate with them.

https://mcknightguitars.com/more-info/options/sound-ports/

As mentioned in the OP,  Breedlove does it as well, so exclusive my a-ss. 

https://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-guitars/2018-solo-concert-acoustic-guitar

I can't find any Martin's with it and I have never seen one on their website. Dogs playing poker and David Croz on the tops of guitars yes, but a Martin with 2 holes nope. Except Willie's Trigger which was done with years of play and wear.

Later B-itches

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1