Gibson Brands Forums

What model is this guitar

Gadcmc

I'm inheriting the following guitar.  It’s in another state so I need to get a hard case in order to get it shipped.  Unfortunately, nobody seems to know anything about it so I don’t know the guitars dimensions.

The model number is 804261.

Can anyone help ID?D3480105-0C88-45EE-9DF4-3AC71327D421.thumb.jpeg.a4d97e715de9dfb0a591139bb3a04315.jpeg

It's very similar to a broadway, the headstock would fit a 60s, as would the serial number. However from those pictures, I would say that's not from the 60's. 

I don't think I've ever seen those fb inlays.

Assuming that it's modern, the serial number given would indicate a reissue. But a reissue wouldn't have those tuning keys, a replacement possibly? Also if its modern the biggest point is the two hole truss cover.

I don't know, it could be fake, it could have been a reissue, it could even have been for the Japanese Market only. Try asking Epiphone they may be more help.

congrats on the acquisition of a great guitar! that looks like an epiphone broadway regent e252 from the 60s. pretty rare, so numbers are a little all over the place, but yours looks to be early 60s with a wider nut (easier playing) and in great shape. 

super cool guitar! should be pretty collectable. 

Serial number: 804261

Production year: 1966 or 1969 [or 1958 (Solidbody)]

Made by Epiphone (Gibson) in Kalamazoo, USA.

Six digit serial numbers
From 1961 to early 1970, Epiphone used 6-digit serial numbers in the Gibson serial number line. However, many serial numbers were duplicated during this period, making the exact production year difficult to trace. It is certain that the models with a 6 digit serial number starting with 0 were produced in 1967.

It is a 1966 or 1969 Broadway. The fretboard isn't standard, which suggests to me it was either custom ordered, or was made in 1969, near the end of Kalamazoo production, when they got a little sloppy and put an Excellente fretboard on an unfinished Broadway.

Sunburst was the standard finish, so it was offered throughout the entire production, but the E252 model didn't designate a finish. In many cases, the shipping numbers included the cherry finish as well as sunburst, while E252N indicated natural. 82 were produced in 1966 and 9 in 1969.

In-hand, the year could be narrowed down further, but this is as specific as I can be from a single photo.

Since it has a 17.5" lower bout, you can probably get away with a case designed for a Gibson J-200, though they are "only" 17". Epiphone actually markets their J-200 case for the modern Broadway. You need something with an arched top. The Access Stage 3 Jumbo may be a good fit; they tend to oversize compared to TKL, and this is actually 17.5" case.

• 3 weeks later...

The fan inlays were originally used on the DeLuxe starting in the late ‘30s, and the peghead inlay was late-40s - 50s Triumph. 

Gibson was perfectly happy to build whatever combination of features you wanted in the 60s. There’s no evidence from the photo  to assume this isn’t original. 

steven

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2021 at 1:01 PM, pohatu771 said:

It is a 1966 or 1969 Broadway. The fretboard isn't standard, which suggests to me it was either custom ordered, or was made in 1969, near the end of Kalamazoo production, when they got a little sloppy and put an Excellente fretboard on an unfinished Broadway.

Sunburst was the standard finish, so it was offered throughout the entire production, but the E252 model didn't designate a finish. In many cases, the shipping numbers included the cherry finish as well as sunburst, while E252N indicated natural. 82 were produced in 1966 and 9 in 1969.

In-hand, the year could be narrowed down further, but this is as specific as I can be from a single photo.

Since it has a 17.5" lower bout, you can probably get away with a case designed for a Gibson J-200, though they are "only" 17". Epiphone actually markets their J-200 case for the modern Broadway. You need something with an arched top. The Access Stage 3 Jumbo may be a good fit; they tend to oversize compared to TKL, and this is actually 17.5" case.

Thank you  (and all the other posters) for your response.  In the interim, I was able to determine the guitar was acquired in the early 70's which would lend some credence to it being an original from the 60's.

Assuming it is, I was able to find an original marketing brochure from Epiphone with the dimensions, and you're correct that the Access Stage 3 Jumbo, appears to fit.  My intention is to have a family member bring it from Ohio to Arizona when they fly here for a visit in the spring.  While I hate the thought of it being shipped, I can't come up with a better option.  Thanks again for your help.