Gibson Brands Forums

J-185 Historic Collection

hojo199

Hi All,

I just purchased one of these on Reverb and am awaiting its arrival. I already own a J45 Historic Collection that I bought new in 2006. There were a limited number of those made (500 I think).

Does anyone know the details of the J185 Historic Collection? How many made? When were they produced? Anything else like that?

Thanks!

An early congratulations, then! Looking forward to the pics and your thoughts on it.

I'm not sure if they ever released a number-to-be-made on the Historic Collection. I know they did with the Artist Series' Love Dove because I almost missed out. Two new ones plus a demo left online when I ordered mine.

The J-185 Historic seems to have had a production run in 2005. They may have also been produced later, but I don't know.  If it is from 2005, you may be in for a treat as I have read that maple takes a while to break in. If yours has been well played for all this time, it may be closer to its full potential. I purchased a 2015 J-185. It was in good condition, but the case was really travel worn. So I assume it's been played a lot. It's tone has a warm, bassy growl, and overall very, very clear. It has the perfect amount of that maple "Brightness", which I very much like. Not at all like I have read that many maple guitars are sonically.  Hopefully you will have bypassed the break in period on your new purchase and get to enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor.

21 hours ago, Kwlsky said:

The J-185 Historic seems to have had a production run in 2005. They may have also been produced later, but I don't know.  If it is from 2005, you may be in for a treat as I have read that maple takes a while to break in. If yours has been well played for all this time, it may be closer to its full potential. I purchased a 2015 J-185. It was in good condition, but the case was really travel worn. So I assume it's been played a lot. It's tone has a warm, bassy growl, and overall very, very clear. It has the perfect amount of that maple "Brightness", which I very much like. Not at all like I have read that many maple guitars are sonically.  Hopefully you will have bypassed the break in period on your new purchase and get to enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor.

Yeah it's a 2005. Interesting what you said about the break in period. I bought a Historic J45 new in 2006 and it took ten years to open up all the way....

23 hours ago, hojo199 said:

Yeah it's a 2005. Interesting what you said about the break in period. I bought a Historic J45 new in 2006 and it took ten years to open up all the way....

Let us know how your J-185 sounds for you. I would love to hear your thoughts on where it falls between bright and brittle, and warm and clear. From what I've read, that seems to be the spectrum range for maple. 

Congrats on the incoming J-185. the 185 really is in the category of Gibson acoustics that everyone should have the experience of spending some time with. Sweet? ✔️. Bass note clarity?   ✔️ . Projection?   ✔️ . All of the above, with the Gibson Jumbo shape that rewards with comfort and balanced sound. When your ear is ready, it's ready to rock.  

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 10:26 AM, Kwlsky said:

Let us know how your J-185 sounds for you. I would love to hear your thoughts on where it falls between bright and brittle, and warm and clear. From what I've read, that seems to be the spectrum range for maple. 

Not brittle at all. The brightness is just pure transient attack, and it is DEEP.... I just love this guitar already. Totally opened up too. No stiffness anywhere

On 11/13/2021 at 10:41 AM, hojo199 said:

Not brittle at all. The brightness is just pure transient attack, and it is DEEP.... I just love this guitar already. Totally opened up too. No stiffness anywhere

That's fantastic to hear. I've only played a handful of maple acoustics, and the few I didn't like were all new.  Maybe getting a used one is a safer bet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 8:51 AM, Kwlsky said:

That's fantastic to hear. I've only played a handful of maple acoustics, and the few I didn't like were all new.  Maybe getting a used one is a safer bet.

Yeah I don't like new guitars at all. I mean, the modern builds are so well designed, but there is nothing like knowing where a guitar has ended up rather than having to suffer through the thing moving around for ten years until you realize he guitar that left the factory has disappeared and some crappy thing is at your house....

• 3 weeks later...