Gibson Brands Forums

How can Gibson made such a crappy custom guitar?

gibsonrene

It is 2007 custom LP....

I am attaching the hissing that just pierces your ears...it is unplayeable....as soon as you stop strumming the strings you hear this high pitch squealling noise that hurts your ears....

WHat happened to this guitar? Was it like that from the start? 

for example 0:53 is the high pitch

It has unpotted pickup(s), same as they did back then, in the 50's, or whatever year your guitar is a period correct, vintage authentic re-issue of.

The pickup is microphonic.  The coil of wire is vibrating, the speaker feels it, vibrates back, the coil feels it, vibrates back, etc.  Forever.

Get the pickup(s) potted or change them to potted pickups.

rct

There aren't pickups for blues and pickups for overdriven marshalls.  There are pickups, some(most(almost all)) potted, some not potted, usually as an indication of vintage authenticity.  You can get those pickups potted by someone that knows what they are doing, you can pot them yourself which usually doesn't work out that good, or you could sell them to someone that wants unpotted vintage-y pickups and get some modern, potted pickups.

Potting won't change the sound, it will stop the uncontrolled vibration of the pickup, which causes the uncontrollable feedback you are getting.

From the sounds of your video there, there isn't anything you can use with all that gain but some well potted pickups.

rct

Edited by rct
  • Like 1

rct is spot-on correct, as usual.

I might add:
I would just plug in with a longer cable and stand a lot further away from the amplifier. 
And slightly more off to the side. 
That's an enormously powerful amp and cabinet you are playing there, and you are quite close to it. 
Way too close to be up that loud. 

And I would wear some earplugs if I were you. 

😐

2 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

Good answers you've had. 

I believe a 2007 LP Custom was made in the USA production line (as opposed to the custom shop) and would have left the factory with potted pups.  Not certain though. Your pups may have been swapped, or may have become microphonic over time. Have you had run guitar from new?

I have a 58 reissue with unpotted pups. I can stand fairly close to a 60w Marshall half stack and play loud without feedback. I might have to choose where I stand. The size of the room and position of the amp will affect that too. 

With the amount of preamp stage gain you're running there you don't need to wory about different humbuckers sounding different. Almost any pup will do for total gain saturation. I doubt there would be much difference between a les Paul custom, a strat or a telecaster through that amp at that gain level. 

I askes Gibson and they told me they were potted. I have not opened the guitar up yet. It does not help if I move away from amp or not.....I have LP ST and Fender Strat and both have normal feedback, but this Custom it makes your ears bleed....I hope I can sell it

There's nothing wrong with the guitar, it's your amp or the environment that your using it in.  The amps far too loud for the room (I'm guessing it's not that big a room), try turning your volume & gain down.

My suggestion (for what it's worth!) is to turn your guitar down and set your amp so that you get a nice clean tone when the guitar volume is set at 2 or 3, then you can just turn up the volume for more distortion, I think you'll find that you don't need any pedals.

Give it a try, you might be surprised  🙂

Edited by IanHenry