Gibson Brands Forums

help identifying a Gibson acoustic

Nerder

4 hours ago, Dash_Starkiller said:

Seems to me to be a late 60s early 70s lg-0 with the spruce top. And aftermarket Yamaha pickguard. 

Yes you are 100 % correct on the pickguard

I found this on ebay looks the same one

do you happen to know what style bridge this guitar org. came with,

the one on there looks to new ?

Yamaha Style Acoustic Guitar Pickguard

image.png.ce3207fa8d4a83bbdfc4d359655fed4b.png

Yeah, those Yamaha pickguards are easy to single out of a crowd.  My 1942 J50 had one slapped on it when I stumbled across it.   

The bridge on this guitar also looks not be be original.  Granted though I am not all that well versed with Kalamazoo-made Gibsons built this late in the game.  I would also expect the guitar to have double line Kluson tuners.

Look at the logo though.  Not only have I never seen a LG or B series Gibson with anything other than the gold stenciled Gibson but it is also looks just plain wrong.  Note the "o" is not open while the dot is not even over the "i".

Edited by zombywoof

This guitar is most likely a B-25 from 1968 or later, and my best guess would put it at 1970 with the following notes of interest:

- The lack of a peghead veneer was initially a 1970 characteristic.

- The shape of the back cross braces doesn’t conform to small-body Gibsons from 1967 or earlier.

-the serial number is consistent with 1968 or 1970 (but in 1970 it should also be stamped “made in USA”).

- The last year of the plastic belly-up adjustable bridge was 1966.  1967 & into 1968 had rosewood belly-up adjustable bridges.  The belly-down adjustable rosewood bridge was standard by 1969.   A non-adjustable belly-down rosewood bridge was standard in 1970.

Bottom line:  1968 to 1970 was a period of significant transition at Gibson, in which parts and construction details were sometimes mixed & matched based on available stock on hand.  1970 was the true kickoff of the Norlin Era, which represented a low point in the history of Gibson acoustics.  Because this guitar points towards the start of the Norlin Era, it’s value should be somewhat depressed - but as always, a guitar is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Yeah, those Yamaha pickguards are easy to single out of a crowd.  My 1942 J50 had one slapped on it when I stumbled across it.   

The bridge on this guitar also looks not be be original.  Granted though I am not all that well versed with Kalamazoo-made Gibsons built this late in the game.  I would also expect the guitar to have double line Kluson tuners.

Look at the logo though.  Not only have I never seen a LG or B series Gibson with anything other than the gold stenciled Gibson but it is also looks just plain wrong.  Note the "o" is not open while the dot is not even over the "i".

ZW, It looks like the 'dot' is not really a dot....looks like the last of the "G"...with the top of the "G" chipped out....and no dot at all.

What do you think?

2 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

ZW, It looks like the 'dot' is not really a dot....looks like the last of the "G"...with the top of the "G" chipped out....and no dot at all.

What do you think?

that is correct the top of the g is missing

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

What do you think?

First off, looking at the multi-ply rosette I am leaning towards your guitar being a B25N.  A 1968 LG-0 would have had a single ply black purfling around the soundhole.

Regarding the logo, yeah I can see where what I thought was the dot for the "it" is actually the lower portion of the "G".   In 1969 Gibson did start to go with an inlay MOP logo with a separated dot over the "i" and a closed "o".   So closer to your guitar.  The absence of the dot could have occurred with some alteration to headstock.  But the stencil logo did not initially change.  And I keep getting back to the plain fact I have never seen either an LG-0 or B25 with anything other than the stencil logo. 

To sum it all up - I cannot figure your guitar out. 

2 hours ago, Nerder said:

found in a customers basement , i'm a plumber

given to me

It’s a real Gibson but it’s gone through some modifications that hurt the value. If someone offers you a couple hundred bucks, don’t feel cheated or insulted. Quick nickels are better than slow dollars. 

• Like 1