Gibson Brands Forums

Nice Conditions Down South

Brucebubs

Here in Australia on the far south coast of New South Wales I keep my guitars on stands spread around my living room - not in their cases.

Picked up my SJ-200 this morning, out of tune, flat.

Tuned up and it sounded particularly sweet today, even my wife commented.

Took a look at the temperature & humidity gauge I keep inside - perfect conditions maybe?

yBUUU5Ih.jpg

We have our winter-heat dry season here. 36-38% RH. I think mine like being around 45%. Summer times is a struggle to keep below 58-60%. Late November rolls around and they all get sweeter sounding. Humidipacks help. It seems like I only get a couple months a year where I could leave them out for an extended period.

Anyhow, don't you just love the way an SJ-200 engulfs you when it's rolling along to some nice strumming? One can feel the rumble with ease. No way to capture that with a mic, but the sound itself can be heard. That feeling, though. Nice!

• Like 1

I do hear a sigfificant difference on my J-150 when I do regulary water the sponge in the Kyser soundhole humidifier I use. We have RH around 35% and thats not enough so I do do humdify it. That  warm, maple, syrupy sound really comes out in droves.

ps: good to see the artwork on your guard is still fully intact. That used to go really fast on the modern Birds and J-200's.

Edited by EuroAussie
  • Like 1

Best not to talk about the weather right now.  Mother Nature really has had it in for us this winter.

But I am kind of a schizo when it comes to the J200.  While ours is certainly not the first Gibson I ever owned it is the one which has been with us the longest.    My wife who plays a lot of bass notes followed by upstroke and downstoke chords loves the thing.   It is an airy and open sounding guitar with mids which just will not quit.  The last time I picked it up was to putz around with a Carter Style take on Dylan's "Don't Think Twice".  I was figuring something like this is easier for others to play along with than my usual stuff and so am planning to break it out when the local picking parlors open back up after their winter hiatus.  But with me after 15 or 20 minutes I am putting the guitar down and reaching for something else.  So, while I do get what it is about the guitar which my wife loves for me it just does not feel like coming home.  Might be simply that odd as it is, the only thing we own that my wife does not consider ours are the guitars.  We have her guitars and my guitars.  I guess I just see the J200 as my wife's guitar which she kindly lets me use now and then.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1