Gibson Brands Forums

please indentify my Gibson

Cristian W

Hi dear Gibson enthusiasts

My mother passed this down to me, but she could not tell me anything, other than she had this beauty in her possession since she was 18 years old.

What I would simply like to know is, What model this guitar is in regards to the following terms:

- 50's, 60's, 70´s

- B-25, B-45, J45, J50

All i am sure of is that the Serial # is 811846, and that that should indicate that it was made in either 1966 or 1969

Every additional info regarding manufacturer details, or really any details at all, would be much appreciated as well

DSC04560.thumb.JPG.e732448404d6cad213186de7add997bf.JPG 

Link to full zoom https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=504553838793 

DSC04533.thumb.JPG.30d3eb00c351d30cfe0a8b03d9e41bfd.JPG

Kindest regards,

Cristian

The problem, as always, is Gibson did not change specs at the stroke of midnight on January 1.  There is generally going to be a transition period where you will have a mish mash of features.  So trying to nail down build dates by features can be kind of a Who's on First routine.

Given the facts that the latest Kalamazoo -built Gibsoni I have owed was birthed in 1963 and my memory ain't what it used to be, my take on your Mom's guitar is the bridge/tailpiece would date it to 1966 to at least early-1969.  Gibson though, was notorious about going with different bridge setups on their 12 strings.  You certainly need a scorecard to keep up with those on the B45-12.  So, no help there.  You might have better luck going by the tuners.  I cannot make out whether the double line tuners read "Kluson Deluxe" or "Gibson Deluxe."   If they read the latter mystery solved and the guitar dates to 1969.   Even then though, I would not, however, rule out the earlier Kluson Deluxe tuners existing on the guitar as at the end of the 1960s Gibson was transitioning from one style to another and would not have made the change until the existing supply of tuners had been depleted.  Waste not, want not.

Edited by zombywoof

42 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

The problem, as always, is Gibson did not change specs at the stroke of midnight on January 1.  There is generally going to be a transition period where you will have a mish mash of features.  So trying to nail down build dates by features can be kind of a Who's on First routine.

Given the facts that the latest Kalamazoo -built Gibsoni I have owed was birthed in 1963 and my memory ain't what it used to be, my take on your Mom's guitar is the bridge/tailpiece would date it to 1966 to at least early-1969.  Gibson though, was notorious about going with different bridge setups on their 12 strings.  You certainly need a scorecard to keep up with those on the B45-12.  So, no help there.  You might have better luck going by the tuners.  I cannot make out whether the double line tuners read "Kluson Deluxe" or "Gibson Deluxe."   If they read the latter mystery solved and the guitar dates to 1969.   Even then though, I would not, however, rule out the earlier Kluson Deluxe tuners existing on the guitar as at the end of the 1960s Gibson was transitioning from one style to another and would not have made the change until the existing supply of tuners had been depleted.  Waste not, want not.

The tuners are marked "Kluson Deluxe" FOR SURE, (I think).

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Kluson.

Beautiful guitar.  The known problem with the B-25 12s (and on the B45s) were the excessive pressure from the 12 strings when tuned in standard tuning, on the bracing of the body and the neck…causing the neck and the body to begin to cave in on each other.  Be sure to keep the instrument totally detuned when not in use for long periods and when in use to tune all the strings downward at least two frets and then use a capo (on the second fret) to get the guitar playing in standard tuning.  That will help preserve the instrument.

I’m sure others will expand with helpful tips.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

49 minutes ago, QuestionMark said:

Beautiful guitar.  The known problem with the B-25 12s (and on the B45s) were the excessive pressure from the 12 strings when tuned in standard tuning, on the bracing of the body and the neck…causing the neck and the body to begin to cave in on each other.  Be sure to keep the instrument totally detuned when not in use for long periods and when in use to tune all the strings downward at least two frets and then use a capo (on the second fret) to get the guitar playing in standard tuning.  That will help preserve the instrument.

I’m sure others will expand with helpful tips.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

I would think the neck was less of an issue than top distortion.  I would also think the floating bridge/tailpiece setup would at least help alleviate that problem to some extent.  

Gibson though initially did not seem to have a clue how to build a 12 string guitar so they simply slapped a wide neck with a humongous headstock on a six string instrument.  I know that with the B45-12, Gibson caught on and started installing sister braces to the lower legs of the "X" in late-1964 to reinforce the top.  I do not have a clue though whether they made any attempt to similarly beef up the bracing in the B25-12.  

By the way, Gibson originally shipped twelve string guitars with octave strings only on the three low strings.  So the G string was doubled up adding to the tension.

But the advice to tune down 1 to 1 1/2 steps would be well heeded.  Harmony, which was the only U.S. Company making stock 12 string guitars at the time Gibson introduced theirs, always came with a warning to tune down. 

Edited by zombywoof