Gibson Brands Forums

I’m buying a L-00, need some advice and input please

BWS

9 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Aha...

What size nut does the EL-00 Pro run?

I really don’t know who thought my EL-00 with 1 5/8” nut was a good idea, but they made lots of them.

It is coming back to me through the veil of time that after I gave it to friend’s kid, it not long after went to a pawnshop! I was a little miffed - I could have taken it to the pawn shop, but I thought I was spreading goodwill. Most stuff I have given to anyone over the years has ended at a pawnshop.  I  also offered some gear to a music school, but they didn’t want it either - they had deals going with a famous shop...... I give up on fellow man, I will just sell stuff.

BluesKing777.

Here’s a link to the Studio/fka Pro version:

https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Acoustic-Guitar/EPI9FM884/Vintage-Sunburst

I remember when they replaced the Non-Pro with the Pro version the original publicity as well as the reviews praising the expansion of the Non-Pro’s former  C neck shape being replaced by a much roomier Slim Taper D neck shape for the guitar.  (The other change was a pickup was added to the Pro.)

Here’s an old listing link from Musicians Friend  of the prior Non-Pro EL-00 showing its then specs.  https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-el-00-acoustic-guitar

Here’s a Non Pro EL-00 listing from 2010 showing it once had a long scale neck and a C shaped neck and larger radius neck.  Although it shows a 1.68 nut width like the current one, go figure.  https://www.chorder.com/acoustic-guitars/epiphone/el00-4953

Note:  I believe Jinder previously shared he once had the original EL-00 that had a different shape than the one from the Non-Pro 2010 shape and the current shape.

I noticed the current listing shows the nut width of 1.68 while the old listing from Musicians Friend of the Non-Pro shows  a 1.65 nut width on the former version, but yet the Chorder one from 2010 also shows 1.68.  ???  The bigger thing changed at least from the Chorder specs from 2010 is the neck scale, it’s radius, and the neck shape.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

I'll throw a wild card into the mix...

I love Gibsons so don't take my recommendation as being anti-Gibson, but OP may want to check out a Martin 00-15M or 000-15M. I say thins because I think these are amazing blues boxes and they have a pretty slim/lower profile neck that's 1 11/16" wide. They play fast and although not identical to an electric guitar neck, they are smaller than your usual 1 3/4" and even the standard Gibson nut width. I think it's a combo of that particular nut width and that neck profile that gives it this feel. These are fantastic guitars that although not identical to the 17 Series from way back, they are definitely nods to that sound and era, but with the narrow nut width, lower profile neck but longer/standard scale length. I recently feel back on love with these little Martins and they really are a really nice compliment to a Gibson, or a departure from one that might tick the OP's wants/needs, and they're still an amazing bargain at $1349, but can easily be had all day for 15% off that, sometimes more., and under or around $1,000 used. 

Edited by sbpark

28 minutes ago, sbpark said:

I'll throw a wild card into the mix...

I love Gibsons so don't take my recommendation as being anti-Gibson, but OP may want to check out a Martin 00-15M or 000-15M. I say thins because I think these are amazing blues boxes and they have a pretty slim/lower profile neck that's 1 11/16" wide. They play fast and although not identical to an electric guitar neck, they are smaller than your usual 1 3/4" and even the standard Gibson nut width. I think it's a combo of that particular nut width and that neck profile that gives it this feel. These are fantastic guitars that although not identical to the 17 Series from way back, they are definitely nods to that sound and era, but with the narrow nut width, lower profile neck but longer/standard scale length. I recently feel back on love with these little Martins and they really are a really nice compliment to a Gibson, or a departure from one that might tick the OP's wants/needs, and they're still an amazing bargain at $1349, but can easily be had all day for 15% off that, sometimes more., and under or around $1,000 used. 

He bought the Gibson L-00 - see other thread, but the Martin 15 series guitars are a good suggestion anyway.

I prefer 1 3/4" nut so saw a new OMC-15ME with wider nut but same bridge spacing last year and bought it! After 8 or 9 months, the top is breaking in nicely....and it is a terrific guitar, setup good straight out of the box. It also has a pickup system with an undersaddle PLUS faceplate sensor and I actually like it, sort of...could do it, but I also have my Tonedexter to improve the undersaddle sounds of a few monsters I own.

Click here to see a large version

BluesKing777.

3 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

He bought the Gibson L-00 - see other thread, but the Martin 15 series guitars are a good suggestion anyway.

I prefer 1 3/4" nut so saw a new OMC-15ME with wider nut but same bridge spacing last year and bought it! After 8 or 9 months, the top is breaking in nicely....and it is a terrific guitar, setup good straight out of the box. It also has a pickup system with an undersaddle PLUS faceplate sensor and I actually like it, sort of...could do it, but I also have my Tonedexter to improve the undersaddle sounds of a few monsters I own.

Click here to see a large version

BluesKing777.

I used to have a Custom )M-125 from LA Guitar Sales...gloss finish, 1 3/4" nut. I never bonded with that guitar. Neck profile felt super thin combines with that nut width. I much prefer my off the rack 000-15M with the narrower nut width. Sure, finger picking is a bit easier with the sider strong spacing but still prefer the regular 000-15M. My other guitars are 1 3/4" (D-18) and an Epiphone USA Frontier (1 11/16") and it's nice to have the option to reach for something diffenrt now and then, and the 000-15M can hold it's own against those other two giants. Still one of the best values for a USA-made, all-solid wood guitar, bone nut and saddle with ebony bridge pins. 

7jOo16th.jpg

c6IpYaNh.jpg

Edited by sbpark

2 hours ago, sbpark said:

I used to have a Custom )M-125 from LA Guitar Sales...gloss finish, 1 3/4" nut. I never bonded with that guitar. Neck profile felt super thin combines with that nut width. I much prefer my off the rack 000-15M with the narrower nut width. Sure, finger picking is a bit easier with the sider strong spacing but still prefer the regular 000-15M. My other guitars are 1 3/4" (D-18) and an Epiphone USA Frontier (1 11/16") and it's nice to have the option to reach for something diffenrt now and then, and the 000-15M can hold it's own against those other two giants. Still one of the best values for a USA-made, all-solid wood guitar, bone nut and saddle with ebony bridge pins. 

7jOo16th.jpg

c6IpYaNh.jpg

What forum are we on?

Well, Gibson has currently about 75 'Historic' versions of the same guitar, but not one with a mahogany top, and no L-00 with a V neck and 1 3/4" nut.

How about re-issuing one of these:

https://www.folkwaymusic.com/museum/gibson-guitars/1932-gibson-l0-1118

or one of these:

https://reverb.com/au/item/47628801-gibson-l-00-1932-black

BluesKing777.

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What forum are we on?

At least I own Gibsons and have a reason to be here. You seem to hate Gibsons, love Martins yet you post in every thread oaths forum. What happened? Did you get kicked off UMGF, AGF and TheGearPage and people stopped paying attention to you?

We get it. All you listen to is The Beatles and Gibsons suck. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sbpark said:

At least I own Gibsons and have a reason to be here. You seem to hate Gibsons, love Martins yet you post in every thread oaths forum. What happened? Did you get kicked off UMGF, AGF and TheGearPage and people stopped paying attention to you?

We get it. All you listen to is The Beatles and Gibsons suck. 

I’ve owned many. Want me to post pics of a few? I do listen to them, and I’ll bet you do too. And Gibson’s don’t suck I just am not a fan of the thump as you guys call it or I would own them. I play them in the acoustic room every time I go into a store, and they are available to play. I no longer play electrics, so all my LP’s, SG’s, ES’s and one Explorer are gone. I did have a J-15 and it was nice looking, but didn’t do it tone wise for me. The OP wants a Gibson acoustic and then recommend he try a Martin. That made me smile. I’ve been on this forum since 2013 or so, and unless I’m banned I’m not going anywhere.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper