Gibson Brands Forums

Live Rigs Update...

Murph

How about those old Carvin acoustic amps?

I still have an AG100D that works fine, it's been used for everything you could think of.

They made bigger ones, up to a 300 maybe, before they split into a crazy company...

Hello, Murph! Your thread is apropos to me because I am doing the same -- analyzing my live sound setup. I am no expert, and have not been gigging during the covid era and have now started back. I play solo more often than not and my Fishman SA220 line array stick works fine. Haul it in with one trip, all in a bag, including the stand, that's nice!

I also have an old Bose L1 Classic but I have not used it in years. And the T4 mixer. It's good but the base is heavy, don't like that. I also have a Roland BA330 that can use batteries for remote gigs and it's ok but I don't seem to get the volume out of it that I would prefer. I also have two powered speakers, I forget the name.

Lately, have considered...

Fishman SA330

Bose S1 Pro8

EV 30M or EV 50

Elite D6-58

I also just bought my first pedal, a Strymon Flint. If I were to buy the Elite D6-58, it has effects, and I might not need the Flint.

I also have considered buying an Ear Trumpet Labs Edmina mic but I have not pulled the trigger, I've never played through a one-mic setup.

Today, I am leaning toward buying the Elite D6-58 to try. It has a rechargeable battery and reviews are stellar for both acoustic guitar and vocals. Apparently, it can handle a small gig by itself. Or, I could use it as a monitor and just use my Fishman SA220 for the house.

Still investigating! The Fishman SA220 works fine for me and my small gigs but I would prefer more headroom and also a tad more bass. Of course, I have that with that old Bose. I am going to use the Bose some and see how I like it, it's been a long time. Or, buy something new and sell old stuff! I like good sound, but also like portable. But I am still active and able to schlep stuff around, so, live sound is probably most important. Plus, I have a rock'nroller carry cart!

My Fishman SA 220 drowned in a basement flood. My homeowner's insurance upgraded me to an SA 330 (well, I had to contribute some cash).

I like the 330 with the dedicated 4-channel mixer (that allows use of the 2 channels on the fish stick, resulting in 6 channels). Initially, I thought that I might also purchase the companion subwoofer, but I've decided that the system produces more than adequate bass as-is.

I also have an AER Compact 60, which is nice, but not, to my ears, in league with the Fishman for solo gigs.

As for donating gear to struggling, young musicians ... Years ago, back in my law practicing days, a young man who worked in our mail room came to me one day and handed me a Stratocaster. He'd just bought it and asked me to show him how to tune it. Really. I showed him. ONE MONTH later, he returned to my office, Strat in hand, and played for me ever note on SRV's first album. Ever note, every chord. He had no idea of the chord names.

He and I became jamming buddies. He had a sad, tiny, solid state amp. I had a 1957 Fender Champ. Best amp ever. One afternoon as we unplugged after our session (and my Champ had cooled), I handed him the Champ. It's still in his much more deserving hands.

Edited by jt

1 hour ago, jt said:

My Fishman SA 220 drowned in a basement flood. My homeowner's insurance upgraded me to an SA 330 (well, I had to contribute some cash).

I like the 330 with the dedicated 4-channel mixer (that allows use of the 2 channels on the fish stick, resulting in 6 channels). Initially, I thought that I might also purchase the companion subwoofer, but I've decided that the system produces more than adequate bass as-is.

I also have an AER Compact 60, which is nice, but not, to my ears, in league with the Fishman for solo gigs.

As for donating gear to struggling, young musicians ... Years ago, back in my law practicing days, a young man who worked in our mail room came to me one day and handed me a Stratocaster. He'd just bought it and asked me to show him how to tune it. Really. I showed him. ONE MONTH later, he returned to my office, Strat in hand, and played for me ever note on SRV's first album. Ever note, every chord. He had no idea of the chord names.

He and I became jamming buddies. He had a sad, tiny, solid state amp. I had a 1957 Fender Champ. Best amp ever. One afternoon as we unplugged after our session (and my Champ had cooled), I handed him the Champ. It's still in his much more deserving hands.

I suppose Tommy Emmanuel gets a lot of stuff given to him - like, “Here take this will ya, ya may as well have it, cos I aint gonna bother!” 😐

SRV probably as well when alive - his right hand just turned into a blur live - I was second row - close.

Others?

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

45 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

I suppose Tommy Emmanuel gets a lot of stuff given to him - like, “Here take this will ya, ya may as well have it, cos I aint gonna bother!” 😐

SRV probably as well when alive - his right hand just turned into a blur live - I was second row - close.

Others?

BluesKing777.

TE sounds great through the AER ... but he certainly doesn't talk or sing through it. 🙂 If I had a house PA system, I'd also use the AER and run a line out of it into the PA. Another 🙂

Yeah, SRV. Saw him a couple of times. What a privilege.

1 hour ago, jt said:

TE sounds great through the AER ... but he certainly doesn't talk or sing through it. 🙂 If I had a house PA system, I'd also use the AER and run a line out of it into the PA. Another 🙂

Yeah, SRV. Saw him a couple of times. What a privilege.

TE is playing a concert stage with guy on mixer full time and the AER is his guitar foldback. He also has in ear mic/monitors.

You wouldn’t necessarily do things like that at the local bar playing your Maton 808 pickup system, which will sound sensational plugged direct to a little line/stick PA.

In a small cafe, plugged direct to an AER is THE classic Maton sound at local gigs. 

Put the soundhole plug in and run the internal mic as high as you can get it, fabulous, really, and the onboard  mid sweep is what makes it all so smooth.

The current Maton pickup system, the AP5-Pro is the best production setup you can get without going custom triple source pickups etc. Playing mine has been a real revelation....I have 4 Maton 808s of different budget and woods but if I was a kid going to gigs today, the basic Maton cedar top SRS808 or the blackwood top EBW808 would be a million times better than anything I started with! Mine have never needed more setups than factory and quality control is good.

After all that, someone will say.......the usual.....”Which is the best pickup system?”

And then someone will say to get that thing from the 80s that makes your acoustic sound like a .......Telecaster!

Just watch some live TE......same pickup in every current Maton.

I’m talking about fingerpicking live here.......strummers do your normal things - most stuff is designed for you!

P.S. You can put the Maton system in any guitar BUT it needs a big slot cut into the guitar top to insert the bridge pickup with 6 individual piezo pieces and another hole in the side to put the preamp with controls and mic on boom arm........unlikely with your best guit.....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I certainly didn't mean to criticize Tommy or his gear choices! He sounds fabulous, even when he's playing one of my guitars with me:

image.jpeg.da0e52d103a6da2781ec9431c468afda.jpeg

Tommy has also been quite good to me, sitting for a long interview for the upcoming Kalamazoo Gals documentary and providing a video for the virtual celebration of the 100th birthday of the last surviving Kalamazoo Gal.

Edited by jt

10 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

TE .... Maton 808 pickup system.....THE classic Maton sound ...Maton pickup system, the AP5-Pro ... Maton ....the basic Maton ......same pickup in every current Maton.

... the Maton system 

I think the reason I like the Bose stuff is I almost always mic my guitar, because I also play a 1933 Gibson mandolin which has no pickup, and a Fender resonator with no pickup, and a Deering banjo with no pickup. It's easier to just have one mic for instruments for me.

The little S1-Pro has 2 mic inputs, and I can use one for vocals (SM58) and one for instrument (SM57) and if I need more power, I can line out of it into the L1-Compact and never mess with my Yamaha mixer unless other players don't have their own rig.

If a larger system is available, I can skip the L1-Compact, and line out straight to the house.

21 hours ago, livemusic said:

Hello, Murph! 

I also have considered buying an Ear Trumpet Labs  mic but I have not pulled the trigger, I've never played through a one-mic setup.

I have yet to do this as well, but truly love the sounds a really GOOD band gets with those.

First, I need to find 3 or 4 people worthy....

29 minutes ago, Murph said:

I think the reason I like the Bose stuff is I almost always mic my guitar, because I also play a 1933 Gibson mandolin which has no pickup, and a Fender resonator with no pickup, and a Deering banjo with no pickup. It's easier to just have one mic for instruments for me.

The little S1-Pro has 2 mic inputs, and I can use one for vocals (SM58) and one for instrument (SM57) and if I need more power, I can line out of it into the L1-Compact and never mess with my Yamaha mixer unless other players don't have their own rig.

If a larger system is available, I can skip the L1-Compact, and line out straight to the house.

Yeah, did the mic in front of me for reso and vocal for years and years, and it can sound great out front but getting consistent foldback that I could actually hear properly was.......hopeless!

Which is why I am so pedantic about getting systems that sound like my acoustics but enable easy handling and foldback. Hard work! Maton systems do it, plug the soundhole and play it like an acoustic instead of it playing an acoustic that sounds like a Telecaster with the usual pickups.

Don’t matter anyway here, most are triple vaxed but bars and clubs pretty empty - 3 people for the blues night probably but 84,000 at the football!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

2 hours ago, jt said:

I certainly didn't mean to criticize Tommy or his gear choices! He sounds fabulous, even when he's playing one of my guitars with me:

image.jpeg.da0e52d103a6da2781ec9431c468afda.jpeg

Tommy has also been quite good to me, sitting for a long interview for the upcoming Kalamazoo Gals documentary and providing a video for the virtual celebration of the 100th birthday of the last surviving Kalamazoo Gal.

Never thought you criticised anything, JT, you must have read me wrong...

BluesKing777.