Gibson Brands Forums

Live Rigs Update...

Murph

So, what's everybody's live acoustic rig these days? It's been a while.

I haven't been doing much gigging in the last few years, prepping for retirement and such.

I still have the Bose L1-Compact and a Bose S1-Pro. I can use either, or both, depending on the size of the venue. I also have a Yamaha MG10XU mixer if there are a few players.

But if it's just me, or everybody else has their own rig, I can plug 2 mics into the S1-Pro. then line out to the L1-Compact and fill a pretty darned big space without needing the mixer. (2 mics / one for my vocals / and the other for guitar/resonator/mandolin/banjo.)

Eventually I will sell my Mesa Blue Angel and the old Peavey SP2's and pic up an ETL mic and a QSC powered speaker (or two) just for large events that might pop up. The old SP2's with Black Widows are great, but man they're large and heavy.

Old pic.

1ggSuzk.jpg

I did not tote that much stuff around when I gigged with an electric.  I guess I remain either Old School or perhaps simple is a better definition but with me when I do plug in it is a Dearmond 210 or Gibson P13 pickup through an amp, which if I bring my own is a Standel.   

for live stuff can't beat the bose. , I have an S1 too, along with a Loudbox Artist and a new fender Acoustasonic Jr (very light sounds really good)

about those SP2s,  passive speakers are tuff to unload   I've got a pair of Yamaha Club Series 15s.  'round here, you'd be lucky to get 75 a bin for any passive cab. 

if you're not married to the idea of selling them, there could be some local bands (kids persay) that would probably be very grateful for the gift of a set of working 2 ways  and we both know you have to work at it to kill a set SP bins from Peavy.   anyway That's what I did with some of my older / unwanted stuff.

Edited by kidblast

This is a great question. I look forward to hearing what everyone uses.

I started out long ago playing Acoustic Duos with my Brother. But, I’ve played in Bands for many years. I haven’t gigged in a couple years but have spent much time Writing & Recording in my Home Studio. I use Pro Tools & Logic.

I want to go back & do Acoustic Duo, maybe even Solo Gigs…

I see Guys who use compact & light weight Laptops, Interface & Powered Monitors, Bose like Murph & others still hauling Truck loads of Gear for a 1 or 2 Man Gig… 

I’m not enthusiastic about hauling my JBL’s, big Yamaha Powered Mixer, etc anymore.. I’d love to load in & out in one or two trips with light weight Gear…

7 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

This is a great question. I look forward to hearing what everyone uses.

I started out long ago playing Acoustic Duos with my Brother. But, I’ve played in Bands for many years. I haven’t gigged in a couple years but have spent much time Writing & Recording in my Home Studio. I use Pro Tools & Logic.

I want to go back & do Acoustic Duo, maybe even Solo Gigs…

I see Guys who use compact & light weight Laptops, Interface & Powered Monitors, Bose like Murph & others still hauling Truck loads of Gear for a 1 or 2 Man Gig… 

I’m not enthusiastic about hauling my JBL’s, big Yamaha Powered Mixer, etc anymore.. I’d love to load in & out in one or two trips with light weight Gear…

you wont need that for a solo or even a duo gig if it's a small venue

the biggest challenge is crowd noise in small, cramped lounges  some of those environments are pretty hostile for a solo or duet with a small compact setup.

For indoor or outdoor smaller gigs or outdoor gigs that do not need super high powered volume, I use my Roland Street Cube with a plug/in for my guitar and a plug-in for a mic…runs on 6 AA batteries for 15 hours (or I can plug it in with its adapter.). I have it sit on a light weight plastic stand as I find it projects better sitting off of the ground.  Works great!  For larger high powered gigs, I use a my Yamaha full set up with multiple jacks, mixer and two speakers, but, the vast majority of the time my Street Cube can fill the bill just fine.  With the larger Yamaha full sound system, the StreetCube becomes my monitor in the system.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

you wont need that for a solo or even a duo gig if it's a small venue

the biggest challenge is crowd noise in small, cramped lounges  some of those environments are pretty hostile for a solo or duet with a small compact setup.

He's right, Lars.

Those big Peavy SP-2's haven't left my house in a long time.

You'd be shocked how well the little S1-Pro Bose works.

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

if you're not married to the idea of selling them, there could be some local bands (kids persay) that would probably be very grateful for the gift of a set of working 2 ways  and we both know you have to work at it to kill a set SP bins from Peavy.   anyway That's what I did with some of my older / unwanted stuff.

You know, that's a darned nice thought.

I don't know if I could do it, but it's a darned nice thought.....

Depends on their attitude !

;  )

This is my entire rig for acoustic gigs - Guitar in one channel, vocal mic in the other.  This little AER Compact 60 is plenty loud for medium size rooms.  If I should get a gig at a big outdoor festival or such there is a line out at the back of the amp than can go to big house PA and then this little guy can be my stage monitor.  The AER has a padded carry case with a shoulder strap so that goes over one shoulder with microphone in accessory pocket.  Guitar case in one hand, mic stand in the other and I can usually get all I need from the car to the stage in one trip.  If I want to bring my own comfy stool to sit on, then that is a second trip.

5f4Ud5G.jpgtbVkLmD.jpg

Edited by Twang Gang

I use a Roland XP Cube 50 {watts) for all my coffeehouse and most winery gigs and a Yamaha Stage Pas (100 Watts) for bigger outdoor stuff.    I can carry all my gear (bag with accessories, mic/music stands, amp, guitar) in 2-3 trips and set-up/tear-down in ten minutes.  All my coffeehouse equipment is pretty lightweight.  The heaviest piece is the Roland at 16 lbs.  It’s fast and easy and I’m lazy, so it’s a good match.

• Like 1

KISS....

Current best live acoustic guitar with incredible onboard pickup system...my black Maton 808 in a custom Maton branded Hiscox case! (Tommy Emmanuel uses a custom shop Maton 808 plugged direct to a preamp and PA, that is all.)

Plug direct to PA if needed. Great sound. But I like some preamps and knobs and other sounds, so if in no hurry, I will take the Tonedexter preamp/DI and if urgent, my little 4 channel A&H mixer...and if really desperate, my old Genz Benz stereo 60 acoustic amp.

Click here to see a large version

Click here to see a large version

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I've been gigging the Bose S1 for most of my small room gigs, it's great.  If  I need more power, I'll use a Fishman Artist.  If it's a large room or outdoors,  I'll break out 2 JBL EON610s and small Yamaha mixer.  

On 4/20/2022 at 11:42 AM, Murph said:

You know, that's a darned nice thought.

I don't know if I could do it, but it's a darned nice thought.....

Depends on their attitude !

;  )

yea  it would.  These kids were taking lessons from a friend of mine, who is also an excellent repair tech as well as a fine player. 

They were all really good kids, and needed the gear that was just collecting dust with me.  

Gave them the 6 chan. powered mixer too, which got them up and running. 

I was happy they found use for it, and they were very thankful to have it.  I'd do it again.

FYI: The guy that made the original AER 60 compact, pictured earlier in the thread - Udo Roesner has left AER a while back and has his new version of the compact acoustic amp getting big reviews:

https://www.guitarworld.com/reviews/udo-roesner-da-capo-75-acoustic-amp-review

P.S. I also gave a lot of stuff away, recording desk and gear a friend left me, plus some guitars for the next Big Project....... and disappointingly I saw it all end up at a pawn shop! I could have taken it al there! We lost another little bit of faith in humanity though....so maybe see if they actually really want the gear.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

8 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

FYI: The guy that made the original AER 60 compact, pictured earlier in the thread - Udo Roesner has left AER a while back and has his new version of the compact acoustic amp getting big reviews:

https://www.guitarworld.com/reviews/udo-roesner-da-capo-75-acoustic-amp-review

P.S. I also gave a lot of stuff away, recording desk and gear a friend left me, plus some guitars for the next Big Project....... and disappointingly I saw it all end up at a pawn shop! I could have taken it al there! We lost another little bit of faith in humanity though....so maybe see if they actually really want the gear.

BluesKing777.

Interesting information about Udo Roesner. I just new from the guitar magazines that another AER guy went to Hughes & Kettner.

My rig is quite simple. 2 pieces of LD Systems MAUI 11 G2, acoustic guitar in the case of mixed band with drums, e-guitars etc. per DI box (Palmer or Radial) via mixer to the PA. For  acoustic "only" applications I try to put a AKG mic in front of the acoustic guitar - with all disadvantages.  Sessions/open mics - i take whatever is available but bring my own DI box to the gig.

For very small settings I have an Acus One-8 acoustic amp which is enough for a guitar and a mic or two guitars. As the Acus has now 48V phantom power I´m sometimes usind an external phantom power supply, a cheap box I have bought from thomann. I do not use the Acus in most of the band situations as I´m changing between electric and acoustic guitar and transport of my Fender amp is enough, although I have switched to Tonemaster Deluxe Reverbs. Anyhow the transportation capacity of my car is limited.

Regarding PAs I prefer "column" PAs since some years as my acustic guitar sound is better than in the classic subwoofer/speaker setups we had before but this is depending on the quality of the PA. 

2 hours ago, docr said:

Regarding PAs I prefer "column" PAs since some years as my acustic guitar sound is better than in the classic subwoofer/speaker setups we had before but this is depending on the quality of the PA. 

I'm assuming you mean the "array" systems used recently, 

Not the old "column" type we had back in the 60's/70's.

Although, Peavey kind of perfected those with the 1210T columns that were actually pretty darned good.

Murph, sorry for beeing unprecise - I mean the modern PAs as your Bose. I´m very intersted in the history of PA and speakers, will look in the internet for the "column" in the 60/70s and the 1210.  My only Peavey amp is a Nashville 400 pedal steel amp which weighs a ton or so. Peavey PA equipment has disappeared in Germany but was on used quite often.

My LD Systems MAUI is similar to the Bose you have show on your photo. The market is full of this type of small PAs. I like that they are less sensitive to feedback and sound quite good but there are limitations if the stage is too big or open air or the band too loud which could happen 🙂 - it´s only Rock´n´Roll.

17 hours ago, docr said:

- I mean the modern PAs as your Bose. I´m very intersted in the history of PA and speakers, will look in the internet for the "column" in the 60/70s and the 1210.  My only Peavey amp is a Nashville 400 pedal steel amp which weighs a ton or so. Peavey PA equipment has disappeared in Germany but was on used quite often.

I thought so much. Those old 1210T's had 2;12's, 2;10s, and three tweeters in EACH column. They stood about 5 feet tall and were the cool kids at the time.

Peavey gear went downhill pretty fast after Eddie Van Halen left the team. They abandoned the U.S.A. plants and moved all production to China and it's all junk now.

Murph, thank you for the information about the Peavey 1210 - I´m sure the sound was great - but they must be very heavy! But power amps had no power compared to today and speakers had to have a high efficiency.

Sad to hear about the changes at Peavey. Peavey transitor amps and the small tube amps like the Bravo or the Classic 30  have been very popular here in Germany, a lot of bass amps and PA power amps have been sold her, too.  They have been affordable and had a good quality. But to be honest, I stopped buying Peavey amps when the modern amps like the Vampyr series came on the market.  

• Like 1

I used to have two large Peavey speakers in my gigging rig.  Each could handle 600w and weighed about 95 lbs and were about 3 ft high. With cloth of some kind covering their wood cabinets.  They were clear as could be.  Someone sold them to me circa 2000 after using them for years and years.  They were great speakers, but because of their height and weight, their time had passed for me use them.  I traded them in to Sam Ash who would rent them out, I’d visit them when I was in Sam Ash.  Initially I purchased some speakers that were half the weight and size, were  also wooden cabinets, and were 300w a piece.  Realizing they too were too big and heavy, I traded them back to Sam Ash for a 600w Yamaha system with speakers that could handle the 600w, but were light weight and 2/3rds the size of the most recent ones.  That’s what I use today for larger gigs.  To be honest, it doesn’t sound as crystal clear as the old Peaveys, but are pretty darn good and easier to transport and set up.  But, as I mentioned in my earlier post, most of the time I just use my Street Cube which works just fine for the majority of my outdoor gigs and small room gigs.  I usually use the instrument setting for my guitar as well as the bass/mods/treble settings, plus the volume and reverb settings.  Plus,for the mic settings I use its reverb, volume, and bass/miss/tenor settings.  The Street Cube becomes my monitor with the Yamaha configuration.  Been using this setup for about five years now.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Yep, the 70s and 80s can keep their heavy!

Everyone got busted woofer valves from carrying too much.

A guy in a band I joined owned a concert PA for pub circuit hire, double four way with all Phase Linear etc. and we rehearsed through some of it every week for a dreamy period there. Then we had to do gigs and.......yikes, carry it all. Felt like I was playing my guitar with my elbows after that! Then we got a roadie that could carry most of it on his shoulders! Except he was a nutcase....and on it goes.....

AER rules! Little mixer rules!

Taking just the Maton and plugging in someone else’s PA, even better!

BluesKing777.