Gibson Brands Forums

In addition to BK777's recent 2 45's thread

E-minor7

But not to steal the attention from the Standard and the 50's model there, here's another A-B-C-D including a couple of rosewoods.

The comparison falls in 2 section - 1 clean and 1 with reverb and comp.  

I wasn't in doubt at all - the fave picked itself.                                        Now it's your turn. Enjoy

Edited by E-minor7

I had a quick listen, thanks, using my iPad speakers, but this will be a good video to replay tomorrow with headphones while I am working....

But so far I pick the 3rd guitar, 2001 J45 Rosewood as the best to record with....fuller sound. ........But that may not he the best guitar to play in a room...

BluesKing777.

Listened on my MacBook w Apple ear buds...  and old ears ....    They all sounded good, of course.  Went back and listened to the un-processed a second time.  My preference was the 1991 followed by the 2001 hogs overall.  Thought the RW  low ends were less 'thumpy'.     Assume strings were all the same.  wonder if that was a bone pick...   

To my ear, the 2001 'hog J-45 had the best-balance and the tone I most associate with the J-45, whether strummed or flat-picked.

The rosewood J-45 s are different. Very brash and  surprisingly treble-focused when strumming. I liked their picked tone a lot better, although the bass seemed a bit boomy to me on both of them.

With a bit of signal processing, the various differences in tone seemed a bit less obvious, and they were more closely grouped.