Gibson Brands Forums

Reinsured Les Paul SG electric custom painted

hello, just trying to figure out approx value of a custom painted Les Paul SG that was part of a fundraiser in New York in 2000 called “ The Art of Guitar “ for a music program for autistic children,  serial number has never been registered , mint condition with HS case. Paper work included and photos from the event . Maybe someone out here has one ? Will post photos when I can figure out how . Thanks for any information you can provide ! 

If a real SG it’s worth the going price for the same make, model, condition ect., would go for. The art on it may devalued it unless it was maybe a famous artist. Now to sell it you need someone who wants what that model and wants one with the art on it. Someone may just want it to display, or to use as intended.

You said the serial number has never been registered. Do you mean you just didn’t get online and sign up for the warrenty?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

If an authentic Gibson SG Standard from 1999 or 2000, Fjestad's Blue Book values the basic guitar at $1,100 USD in Mint Condition. 

Reverb and GC might list them a hundred dollars higher. 

The custom artwork from that fundraiser might allow for a higher resale asking price, but that depends upon the artwork and the disposition and tastes of the individual buyers. 
It certainly won't devalue the guitar, not in my opinion. 
Especially if, as ghost_of_fl implies, the artist is now a well-known big selling artist. 
🙂

Think it is this SG LP Custom above.   A very nice guitar with an intrinsic value of ?   Search for SG Custom 3 pickup on google and you may get an idea.

However a custom paint job (especially a one-off) is harder to assess, unless a famous artist or celebrity guitarist is associated with it.  I don't think this finish will affect the value of the guitar adversely but don't know if it would increase its value either.  Other more knowledgeable forum members - please correct me if I'm in error.

I presume this is the artist -

https://carolpaulsen.com/

I also searched for images on google as follows -

guitar artwork

art on guitars

art on guitar body

All of which produce many impressive-looking results.

Edited by jdgm

You can insure it for any amount you want.  It will cost you, but you can.  If you insure it for replacement value you will not be able to consider the extremely limited custom paint, because it has no replacement value.  So you are back to picking a value out of the air and paying for the insurance.

rct

My friend who owns this has now joined the forum and can answer more questions .. and posted photos . 
Some clarification about “ not registered “. The guitar was sent back to her ( Carol Paulsen,the artist ) and never owned by anyone else . (she doesn’t play the guitar, she only participated in the fundraiser. I think she painted two others for Gibson that sold during the fundraiser . 

• Like 1