Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Artist

Hello,

Have any of you heard of the first time ever live global auction,  “The Art Of Guitar” a fundraiser by Gibson Guitar back in 2000 at the Animazing Gallery in New York?  Celebrities and Artists painted guitars for an auction to raise money for a music program  for Autistic Children.  I painted a guitar which was auctioned and Gibson sent me one as payment. I painted it  and when the hardware was put on, someone from Gibson saw it and bought it so they sent me a third guitar to paint and keep. It is a reissue Les Paul SG electric with all the extras. It is mint condition and has rarely been played. It has remained in its hard case all these years and has an unregistered  serial number.
 I am trying to find the value of it. If anyone can give me  input, I would appreciate it.

Thank you, Carol Paulsen

8D8B2319-0029-45F3-86BE-DED5B339ADD2.jpeg

88D78475-9B9F-401C-8E29-6F250D31541F.jpeg

644A36AD-3B4B-4516-9090-9224B492106B.jpeg

D6887470-17A3-4061-A975-D7D55C74AB91.jpeg

Carol,

An examination of the internet offerings, Fjestad's Blue Book, and Reverb.com would place the value of that 1999 Gibson SG Custom at around $2,700 USD. 

The artwork, though lovely, would neither add to nor detract from the value of that wonderful guitar. 

One note;
The Serial Number is what it is. 
Registering it with Gibson, back in the day, wasn't even a thing. 

I love it, quite personally. 
I think your painting on it is fabulous. 

🙂

One thing to add;

If that SG is a Custom Shop model (and not a SG Custom that might otherwise be sold straight out of the retail guitar store), the value would be higher. 
I know that sounds confusing. 
(A model known as the Custom, versus a Gibson Custom Shop guitar.)

I can't read the actual Serial Number very well. 
Can you post a close up photo of the back of the headstock?

That would solve the mystery of that, and help to clarify the value. 

😉

Edited by sparquelito

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2022 at 11:29 AM, merciful-evans said:

I used to paint when I was at Art College. It never occurred to me to use a guitar as a canvas!

I have one guitar in particular with a finish that I hate. Hmmmm....

BTW Welcome to the forum

When my wife did web master stuff for a non-profit music organization, every year people donated instruments, and the Art Majors at Old Dominion University would make art with them however they see fit, and then they would get auctioned off. I was bidding on a uke with a cool dragon painted on the front, but I got outbid. 

We won a lamp made out of a clarinet, and the lampshade was pained with music notes and stuff on it. My wife played clarinet in her younger days, and said its the only good use of a clarinet.