Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Bridge for Adjustable Saddles

JohnnyT123

Hi all, I just purchased a '63 Southern Jumbo with the ceramic adjustable saddle. The problem is someone replaced the plastic bridge with a wood bridge, but it's too low and they glued it wrong etc. My luthier says it needs a new bridge and he can make one to fit the adjustable saddle (which I want to keep). Since the upgrade tends to be replacing the bridge for a fixed saddle, I was wondering if anyone had a wood bridge for an adjustable saddle they'd be willing to sell. I'd prefer for it to be from a Gibson from that period ('64-'67) in the belly up orientation. Thanks so much!

If you aren't all in with the adjustable, a rosewood belly up copy with fixed traditional (Gibson spec) saddle slot will result in a more responsive top.  Yank those awful screw hole grommets out while your at it.

That's why it's called an UPgrade.  Golden opportunity here, and while I know there are adj saddle geeks lurking, I'm not one of 'em.  Lord knows I've swapped a few out.

Edited by jedzep

23 minutes ago, jedzep said:

If you aren't all in with the adjustable, a rosewood belly up copy with fixed traditional (Gibson spec) saddle slot will result in a more responsive top.  Yank those awful screw hole grommets out while your at it.

That's why it's called an UPgrade.  Golden opportunity here, and while I know there are adj saddle geeks lurking, I'm not one of 'em.  Lord knows I've swapped a few out.

I hear ya, and I understand the debate, but I bought this specific model for this specific sound. I have other dreads that do other things. Thanks for the info, though!

1 minute ago, jedzep said:

You should get lucky, as many have removed these.  Did you try Reverb and Ebay?

That's what I'm hoping! I just hope the old ones weren't thrown away since most people see them as useless. There's a few potential listings on Reverb/eBay, might just be a waiting game.

Yeah, but an early 60's SJ might deserve the real deal.  I'd throw an offer for a couple hundred less, but the vintage price range these days might not be that far off from his asking price.

I guess I'd want to know the bridge thickness so I could calculate in my obtainable string heights.

Edited by jedzep

14 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Yeah, but an early 60's SJ might deserve the real deal.  I'd throw an offer for a couple hundred less, but the vintage price range these days might not be that far off from his asking price.

I guess I'd want to know the bridge thickness so I could calculate in my obtainable string heights.

I was thinking the same thing. I might wait a week or so and see if anything pops up. It looks like he's been sitting on that one for more than a month with no activity.

Gibson is currently selling the "1960's Original" series J-45 and J-50 with adjustable saddles, I have one myself along with a real 1965 J-50. Haven't taken measurements or anything, but the new version looks the same size as the real thing from the 60's although the details are a bit different. So,Gibson must have the parts available but I have no idea whether they would provide them to you. You can see it here if you move the "magnifier" over the photo on their site.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/ACC26R79/60s-J-50-Original/Antique-Natural

Edited by Boyd

The one thing I can say for the ADJ saddle bridges is they do increase the amount of attack you hear.  On the other hand the bridge which weighs about three times more than a fixed saddle bridge does  combined with the oversized laminate bridge plate I presume at the time Gibson felt was needed to support the extra weight tends adds a whole lot of mass to the top.  So if you plan to go back to the ADJ saddle bridge I would have your repair guy check and see of the plate has also be rolled for a traditional maple one and if so and you decide to leave it be assess if it can support the bridge.  Also if you do not already know, Philadelphia Luthier Tools sells a bone saddle for Gibson ADJ bridges.

Edited by zombywoof

4 minutes ago, Boyd said:

Gibson is currently selling the "1960's Original" series J-45 and J-50 with adjustable saddles, I have one myself along with a real 1965 J-50. Haven't taken measurements or anything, but the new version looks the same size as the real thing from the 60's although the details are a bit different. So,Gibson must have the parts available but I have no idea whether they would provide them to you. You can see it here if you move the "magnifier" over the photo on their site.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Guitar/ACC26R79/60s-J-50-Original/Antique-Natural

That was my first stop before this post, though I don't expect to hear back. It would be amazing if Gibson had a parts store where you could order parts that are currently in production.

5 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

The one thing I can say for the ADJ saddle bridges is they do increase the amount of attack you hear.  On the other hand the bridge which weighs about three times what a fixed saddle bridge does  combined with the oversized laminate bridge plate I presume in the 1960s Gibson felt was needed to support the extra weight tends adds a whole lot of mass to the top.  So if you plan to go back to the ADJ saddle bridge I would have your repair guy check and see of the plate has also be rolled for a traditional maple one and if so and you decide to leave it be assess if it can support the bridge.  Also if you do not already know, Philadelphia Luthier Tools sells a bone saddle for Gibson ADJ bridges.

Thanks for the advice! This is just swapping out the current bridge for a better-fitting one, it does already have the original adjustable saddle in there. The current wood bridge that replaced the original plastic bridge isn't tall enough so the action is too low even with the adjustable saddle maxed out, so presumably it was custom made and not Gibson made. I was hoping that a Gibson made wood bridge would solve this issue.

I think the current belly up Gibson bridges are somewhat oversized.  They look gigantic on guitars I've seen.  If I could handle the cost of original, I'd bite the bullet to put the best pkg together I could.

I imagine your luthier was going to charge at least a couple hundred to make a true copy anyway.

2 hours ago, jedzep said:

I think the current belly up Gibson bridges are somewhat oversized.  They look gigantic on guitars I've seen.

Not sure where you're seeing those "gigantic" bridges.... Just whipped out my tape measure and did a quick comparison of the adjustable bridge on my 2020 J-50 60's Original vs the 1965 J-50 ADJ. As far as I can tell, the sizes are identical - I measured the width, height, spacing of the pearl dots, string spacing and distance between the saddle adjustment bolts. Now, it was just a quick job so you would need to confirm with more precise measurements, but they sure look the same to me.

I also measured the basic dimensions of the (non-adjustable) bridge on my 2008 J-50 and it was also the same size.

Edited by Boyd

I wouldn't attempt to make any generalizations. But the bridges are the same size on my 1965, 2008 and 2020 J-50's. Now, the bridge on my 1965 J-50 resembles your photo (although mine is adjustable), the edges are rounded. The 2020 adjustable bridge is the same size but the edges are squared-off which makes it look a little different.

Edited by Boyd

Well the squared off contour certainly makes it 'clunky' looking.  My bridge wings are an inch wide, while the middle widest point is just under and inch and a half.   Length is probably the same. 

Do modern belly ups measure the same?  

Wish Gibson would put old-school rectangular bridges on.  Belly up has irritated me since forever.

Edited by jedzep

I have the exact same thing here = a 1963 SJ with a ceramic saddle in a new rosewood bridge.  And I fully understand why you are goin' for that particular flavor. 

So do these guys. They talk a lot about it and goof around having a good time, lords bless them. But playing starts at 10:15 ~ 

Send a photo of yours - and for sake of the acoustic saints (and the holy sardin) don't change the adjustable concept.

• Like 1