Gibson Brands Forums

New Build Day.. Spalted London Plane DC

Rabs

19 hours ago, Rabs said:

Cheers. Do you remember the first build thread.. It went on I think for two years before I had a proper playable guitar. I remember Pippy once saying that the thread had become like his favorite soap opera.

I do recall, but not sure I was there at the beginning? I know you were doing a shedload of YT research and more.  

Family is important. They take precedence. Guitars are patient. 

10 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Rabs definitely inspired me to try making a guitar from scratch. These look like they’re going to come out awesome.

sorry if I missed it but have you mentioned what electronics and hardware you plan on using here?

Yes I think it was on the last page.. I have that schaller bridge and actually loads of pickups but for this I think I am going to use a Classic 57 and a SD Phat Cat (a P94) and the usual gibson style wiring with CTS pots, switchcraft jack and switch probably with PIO caps.

Ohh man.. Not been a good week at all... But still got something done. And some new wood.

So, ordered a new fretboard for the walnut build which is the first time I have ordered from this seller..  You have to be sure the fret slots are cut correctly and yes.. It all seems good.

YGKf4ev.jpg

I know the ebony fretboard is good as its from my old supplier and it all matched up

WbL1mXR.jpg

Also got the headstock roughly shaped out

vmFBhs7.jpg

5vNOFlL.jpg

And then today I popped in to the workshop as the guy that took over from me at the shop had been wanting to build his own guitar so I bought him a cheap neck from china to encourage him and he was well happy (its a baritone fender style neck and pretty good for the price).

And while I was there I got a new top for that one I took off last week..  Gone for some super lacey plane instead of spalted..  Still gonna look incredible though.

DhDhhSK.jpg

If I can bookmatch that top piece it will look absolutely stunning. Had to buy the whole board so I have more for another top in the future.

AiArWRu.jpg

EapTY7b.jpg

As said, things are a bit crazy for me at the moment (mum had a fall 😞 ) so we will see when I get back to this.. Hopefully within a few days.

Edited by Rabs
  • Upvote 1