Gibson Brands Forums

Experience with K&K Pure Mini?

dhanners623

8 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

Indeed. I’m not as enamored of Matons as others may be. Same goes with Taylors.

My guess is that you are just being mean spirited and you have never been in the same room as a Maton, let alone play one.....if you had, you wouldn’t be asking your silly questions and settling for ordinary.

BluesKing777.

11 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

My guess is that you are just being mean spirited and you have never been in the same room as a Maton, let alone play one.....if you had, you wouldn’t be asking your silly questions and settling for ordinary.

BluesKing777.

Aw, jeez. Really?

Yes, I have been in the same room as Matons. Everyone has different tastes in guitars, but that doesn’t mean we are settling for “ordinary” if we don’t buy a Maton. Is that really your position?  I lament all the great guitarists now and through history who settled for “ordinary” by not making their music with Matons. Somehow, they got by. Oh, if only Doc Watson had played a Maton, people would probably remember him. Same with Eric Clapton or Stephen Stills; when it comes to acoustics, those fools play Martins. If only James Taylor had used a Maton instead of a Gibson J-50 to record “Sweet Baby James,” maybe his career would’ve taken off. As it is, nobody’s heard of him.

Taking note of the thread title and original post is helpful. I was wondering if anyone had experience with K&K pickups, because I was looking for a pickup to use on a guitar I already own. I know that may be a “silly” question to you (?!?) but I wasn’t asking for guitar recommendations. I asked about a particular pickup and your reply was to tell me to buy a whole new guitar. That’s like somebody asking you what kind of oil they should use in their car and you telling them to buy a whole new car. I’m not in the market for a new guitar — and if I were, the £2199/$2,583 that your recommended guitar costs would sure as heck go for a guitar other than a Maton.

So when I bring that up, your reply was, “Yes, I was just putting the information out there for others reading this thread.” What makes you think people who click on a thread about K&K pickups want to be told that the only way to get “KILLER” live sound is to buy an entirely different guitar? Does Maton pay you to insert Maton testimonials and videos on threads totally unrelated to Matons? 

Which brings us back to the “tastes” issue. I know what my tastes are. Accusing someone of being “mean spirited” or “ordinary” for merely saying a particular guitar doesn’t do anything for him is insulting and trollish behavior. Guitar sounds are subjective and we all have our preferences. Did I say Matons were bad guitars? No. I just said I wasn’t enamored of them. That is not being “mean spirited.”

Want to know what is mean-spirited? Telling someone you don’t know personally that their questions are “silly” and that their choice of guitars/pickups is “ordinary.” THAT is mean-spirited. Your comment was demeaning and disappointing.

Edited by dhanners623
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

So keep your shirt on and tell us which Maton model you played.....

This is a Gibson Forum.

Mostly Gibson owners/enthusiast hang out here. Except for a few morons who like to come here and bash Gibsons, and then talk about their "off brand" guitars.

It's like going on a Ford forum and talking about how Chevys are better than Fords.

It's silly and immature.

Moronic, even. Yes trollish. 

I have no interest in a Matoon, or a Martin, or a Taylor. I'm a Gibson guy, played them since I was a kid.

I've never been to the Martin forum, or the Matoon forum, or the Taylor forum dissing on their brands because that would be in bad taste.

And moronic.

30 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

So keep your shirt on and tell us which Maton model you played.....did you plug in and what settings did you use?

None of the above, my guess, telling porkies.

BluesKing777.

That’s nice. Accuse me of lying.

You know, it was so long ago I have no independent recollection of the model. Or even the shop, for that matter. It may have been a used one that cycled through The Podium (now defunct) in Minneapolis. I didn’t plug in. I know that might hurt your feelings, but the guitar left no lasting impression on me. Among the reasons was it was just another guitar hanging on a wall filled with great guitars. If you’d ever been toThe Podium, you’d know. Ask Tommy Emmanuel. He’s been there.

But you know what? IT DOESN’T MATTER. My failure to fawn over Matons does not make me bad and does not make my own guitar preferences bad. Just stop it. 

33 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

So fine then - you have never been near a Maton - who cares but you know, don’t disparage things you know zip about.

BluesKing777.

To quote Prof. G.H. Dorr, “and what, to flog a horse, that if not dead is at this point in mortal danger of expiring,” was there in my post that indicated to you I’d never played a Maton? To be clear: I played one. Long ago. At The Podium, then in Minneapolis’ Dinkytown neighborhood. The guitar left no lasting impression.

I know that may be hard for you to accept, but that’s the reality. And I’ve certainly not denigrated or insulted you for fawning over a manufacturer that does nothing for me

You can disagree without being disagreeable.

Edited by dhanners623

Anyway, back to my original comment about a killer live sound guitar - Maton 808s - Tommy Emmanuel has a row of them he uses live plugged direct to PA. 

He also owns about 5000 guitars of all makes probably, but live.....Maton 808.

I have a row of Gibsons, Martins, Waterloos, Cargill, Lowdens, Matons, National, Dobros and I play them all in rotation, enjoying the variety. I am an acoustic guitarist....not a Maton guitarist or Gibson guitarist. I have bought all the known pickups that people talk about, soundholes, K&Ks, Anthems, Elements, Sunrise....best plugged in direct sound I have ever had is my custom finish black Maton EBG808.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

12 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Anyway, back to my original comment about a killer live sound guitar - Maton 808s - Tommy Emmanuel has a row of them he uses live plugged direct to PA. 

He also owns about 5000 guitars of all makes probably, but live.....Maton 808.

I have a row of Gibsons, Martins, Waterloos, Lowdens, Matons, National, Dobros and I play them all in rotation, enjoying the variety. I am an acoustic guitarist....not a Maton guitarist or Gibson guitarist. I have bought all the known pickups that people talk about, soundholes, K&Ks, Anthems, Elements, Sunrise....best plugged in direct sound I have ever had is my custom finish black Maton EBG808.

BluesKing777.

This advertisement brought to you by Maton Guitars®….

And, again, you are missing the point. I asked about a specific pickup. I am not interested in a new guitar. So I don’t need to hear your repeated and unsolicited endorsement of Matons

Edited by dhanners623

24 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

I couldn’t care less what you do - I mention ways to get a good live acoustic sound for the other people reading this and are actually interested in sounding better than what a soundhole pickup will give.

BluesKing777.

No, you inject a gratuitous mention of Maton® at any and every opportunity. You commented earlier in the thread about your experience with the K&K, which was what I was after. So thank you. But instead of leaving it at that, you then go full-Maton® sales rep on the rest of us, even posting a video and telling us we’re being silly for even asking about other pickups. For good measure, you then call me a liar for saying I had played a Maton® but had no lasting impression of the guitar.

Is there a Maton® discussion forum I can join so I can spend endless threads talking about how good Gibson acoustics are?

2 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

I have no affiliation with anyone or anything! But I own 4 Maton 808s so have some experience.

BluesKing777.

You’ve convinced me. I’ve seen the error of my silly ways. I’ll sell all my guitars and buy a Maton®. Matons® are the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful guitars I’ve ever known in my life.

You’ll get a sales commission from Maton®, right?

20 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

you inject a gratuitous mention of Maton® at any and every opportunity. 

Just like that other guy takes a shot at Gibson in nearly every post.

It's like they're getting paid for it....

I played Neil Finn’s Maton when I was in the Greek island of Paxos a couple of months ago to play a show. He has a home on the island and leaves a guitar at Bar Taxidi for him to use for the late night guitar pulls that often happen there. 

Spiro, the owner of Bar Taxidi, let me play it as I and NF have mutual friends and he is familiar with my music. I believe it was an EBG808.

It was sweet and articulate, not loud acoustically but pleasant and fairly responsive. It didn’t sound like “me” in the way that an SJ200 or Dove does, but for a player seeking a less “big” sonic experience (think Martin 00-18) it would be a pretty good choice. Plugged in it sounds smooth and very acoustic, similar to my Takamine EAN20C. 

They are a nice, well made guitar but not one that suits what I do as a player or writer, so at this moment in time I wouldn’t buy one. I am happiest working with a Gibson with a Sunrise in it, and have felt that way for a long time. 

Pickup choices are far from linear and are entirely subjective and personal. In my opinion no question regarding amplification is silly and no choice is ordinary. We are all here to learn.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick addendum to this…after expressing my apathy towards K&K, I spent the last weekend gigging with my K&K equipped ‘67 J45, didn’t take my pedalboard, looper, AD10 or anything else, just the J45 into my K&K Pure preamp and then straight into A) a Bose S1 Pro that was supplied by the host of the house gig I was playing on the Saturday, and B) my AER Compact 60 that I usually gig with on the Sunday.

I’ll be damned if it didn’t sound absolutely superb. Really dynamic, sweet and natural. Took a bit of EQ work to get rid of some midrange honk but once that was squared away it was a joy. 

It was particularly good through the Bose S1 Pro. The Tonematch system on those little beasts really jives well with any and all pickups in my experience. Had to pop a Feedback Buster into the soundhole for a few fingerstyle numbers which I had to turn the gain up for, but as more of a precaution than anything. 

Impedance matching seem to be a crucial factor with K&K as straight into my AD10 pre it sounds much more tubby and unnatural. Into an amp or desk via the Pure preamp is much better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jinder said:

A quick addendum to this…after expressing my apathy towards K&K, I spent the last weekend gigging with my K&K equipped ‘67 J45, didn’t take my pedalboard, looper, AD10 or anything else, just the J45 into my K&K Pure preamp and then straight into A) a Bose S1 Pro that was supplied by the host of the house gig I was playing on the Saturday, and B) my AER Compact 60 that I usually gig with on the Sunday.

I’ll be damned if it didn’t sound absolutely superb. Really dynamic, sweet and natural. Took a bit of EQ work to get rid of some midrange honk but once that was squared away it was a joy. 

It was particularly good through the Bose S1 Pro. The Tonematch system on those little beasts really jives well with any and all pickups in my experience. Had to pop a Feedback Buster into the soundhole for a few fingerstyle numbers which I had to turn the gain up for, but as more of a precaution than anything. 

Impedance matching seem to be a crucial factor with K&K as straight into my AD10 pre it sounds much more tubby and unnatural. Into an amp or desk via the Pure preamp is much better.

Thanks for that. Took my guitar in last week to Jim Fleeting in Manchester and he drilled out the endpin and installed the StrapJack for the M1A. Played it Sunday night at a performance and at least it sounded ok on stage. No idea what it sounded like in the house.

I may still go with a K&K. Or I may just decide at some point to get it all removed and stick a StewMac NoJak endpin in it. The older I get, the less I want to play out, and I’ve still got two guitars wired for the M1.

On 9/14/2022 at 2:40 AM, Jinder said:

It was particularly good through the Bose S1 Pro. The Tonematch system on those little beasts really jives well with any and all pickups in my experience. 

That little S1-Pro never ceases to amaze me.  (I also have an L1-Compact)

They really did some homework making a box that small have that much tone.

• Like 1