Gibson Brands Forums

Mid ‘60s Epi Cortez…any thoughts?

Jinder

Hi all,

I have a line on a very tidy ‘66 Epi Cortez which is of interest to me due to its comfortable  body size and slim neck. I’m considering it as an alternative to the ‘60s Original J45 I was pondering previously. It’s had the adjustable bridge converted to a fixed saddle (not that that bothers me either way) and looks to be in nice shape. 

I believe they were basically a Kalamazoo built B25/LG2 with a different headstock. Has anyone played one? I’ve played and enjoyed various LG2s and B25s, but I’ve never owned a vintage one or played a Cortez.

Any thoughts would be welcome. 

Yup, same body dimensions,  bracing, and scale as an LG2.  I have played some built in the 1960s but never could settle in with one as the necks sent me running for cover.  Your requirements in this area though are a polar opposite of mine so my opinion does not amount to a hill of beans.  On the other hand, I have never thought of an LG2 as a "mini J45."  The larger sound chamber of the J45 does come into play.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

If Epiphone followed Gibson's peghead angle change from 17 to 14 degrees, then a '66 will have the shallower version.  That may make for slightly less string  tension.

It occurs to me - what strings are you running?  I mention this because I have noticed that I don't perceive any volume loss since switching from John Pearse Phosphor Bronze to Pearse's Pure Nickel wound strings, but they have noticeably lower tension, so much so that I always have to tweak the truss rod a little looser when I switch a guitar over to them.

I had one in the mid 80s. I guess it was around a ‘65 or so. I probably have a pic somewhere. I didn’t keep it long. I’ve never found an LG or B that I was comfortable with. They all felt like they were like a spring that was wound to the point of being ready to explode.