Gibson Brands Forums

Which Model

Geoff1965

3 minutes ago, Geoff1965 said:

Thanks guys.

I inherited it and know nothing about guitars.

I guess if we have a cold winter i have some firewood 😅

well,, it wouldn't toss it in the fire   -   what you have there definitely looks counterfeit. 

But if setup properly it very well could be a decent playing guitar.  So it might be worth giving it a try.

If you provide some better photos,  like a close up of the bridge, and what the truss rod end behind the nut looks like we could end all speculation.

Agreed with fake conclusion - no doubt for me. 

Can the neck be made straight?  There's hope if there is.  To me, nearly anything with a guitar can be fixed - within reason here - if the neck is good.  Give that ol' truss rod a crank and see if you get the targeted relief such as 0.012"-0.010" give or take a thou...  With a good neck, you can get frets leveled where choking and buzzes can be eliminated.  Hopefully no loose frets - just more work, but fixed for reasonable cost. 

But in sum, since this was inherited, you're playing with a counterfeit Gibson there.  I wouldn't pay more than a couple hundred to make that guitar work given it needs fret work and the like (personally I would not want to entertain this project, but if I had to throw some bucks at this thing...).  The guitar just isn't worth much more than a couple hundred give or take on the Chinese market.  Not that I have been interested in a fake or anything like that...  I just saw the sites where you might want to line one of these beauties up for yourself, haha!  It has been my experience that people buy these and then pay more for the components a REAL Gibson has and dump them into said Chibson.  THEN, they have to pay a luthier to fix sharp fret ends, loose frets, unlevel frets, poorly cut nut (usually 100% of the time some cheap plastic POS), etc.  I find this to not be worth it.  But if it is inherited, MAYBE it doesn't need as much work, but chances are it's in need of a luthier to make that guitar-shaped object work like a decent playing guitar.