Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking of buying an older explorer with a paint chip near the headstock

Mike CT

I keep my guitars immaculate so I’m not sure if buying one with a chip (maybe dime size) would drive me crazy or if it would spread over time.  The price is good though because of this.  

If I get this does can a local guitar tech get the same gibson ebony paint and touch it with nitro, or is that really only something factories do.  Not sure if it should/could be repaired or not.  I’ve seen some pictures of home repairs on reverb that just look terrible.

Mike

• Like 1

It’s maybe half a dime actually on the bottom edge of the headstock between the bottom two tuners (but on the bottom edge on the back side).   Not on the neck at all.  So it’s an eye sore.  Wouldn’t touch anything with a chip on the neck.

Edited by Mike CT

6 hours ago, Mike CT said:

I keep my guitars immaculate so I’m not sure if buying one with a chip (maybe dime size) would drive me crazy or if it would spread over time.  The price is good though because of this.  

If I get this does can a local guitar tech get the same gibson ebony paint and touch it with nitro, or is that really only something factories do.  Not sure if it should/could be repaired or not.  I’ve seen some pictures of home repairs on reverb that just look terrible.

Mike

If the price is very good, I would buy it.

Rene