Gibson Brands Forums

Here Is A Release I Do Care About

Sgt. Pepper

I can’t rate one of their Record’s or Album’s better than another anymore..   “The Beatles”, IMO, are the most significant Band of all time. I rate “The Beatles” collection of Works as a Band from beginning to end, equal…. 

4 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I can’t rate one of their Record’s or Album’s better than another anymore..   “The Beatles”, IMO, are the most significant Band of all time. I rate “The Beatles” collection of Works as a Band from beginning to end, equal…. 

I can. I like The White Album more than everything else they did, then Pepper, then Abbey Road then maybe Revolver then Rubber Soul, then Let It Be, then pretty much the first five are are all great, but the first five I mentioned are the cream of the crop as far as I am concerned.  MMT has some good moments but was just a mess in some spots.

On 10/31/2022 at 11:07 AM, Whitefang said:

I'm going by the more liked than unliked tracks criteria.

Whitefang

Good way to rate an album. I'll have to try that. 

After all, there were some LPs I bought because of the "hit" tune I liked being on it and it turned out to be the only track worth a damn, and others bought for the same reason that had several tracks I liked much better than the song I bought it for.   And then too....

A few of my long time favorite LPs  were by groups who, at the time, I never heard of and I bought the LP because I thought the cover was cool.  For example, at the top of that heap-----

LP-5194_900.jpg

An impulse purchase I never regretted.

Whitefang

24 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

After all, there were some LPs I bought because of the "hit" tune I liked being on it and it turned out to be the only track worth a damn, and others bought for the same reason that had several tracks I liked much better than the song I bought it for.   And then too....

A few of my long time favorite LPs  were by groups who, at the time, I never heard of and I bought the LP because I thought the cover was cool.  For example, at the top of that heap-----

LP-5194_900.jpg

An impulse purchase I never regretted.

Whitefang

Who doesn't love Fresh Garbage, and isn't the that album that has the song that supposedly Zep 'borrowed' a bit of it for Stairway and went to court over?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

I liked early Spirit and had the 3rd LP 'Clear'; the 5-albums-of  CD set is the good stuff ("Dr Sardonicus" is the masterpiece IMO) and includes 'Feedback' which was after the split.   I saw them MUCH later ('78?) - live at the Rainbow gig - by then they were a power trio and quite a lot of it was Randy playing Jimi.  One of the support acts was a bunch of blonde posers called the Police...but anyway....

'Taurus'....the disputed section is too short and not quite close enough.   There's no doubt Page and Plant knew about Spirit, but even if.....the sequence is generic and simply does not occur within the Spirit composition for long enough, or is arranged and developed in the same way.  

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

I actually never cared much for Sardonicus.   I saw Spirit a few times at Detroit's Grande Ballroom in '68 and at the Masonic Temple auditorium on a bill with Canned Heat and a band called  Bubble Puppy in '69.   

And sure, Plant and Page knew of Spirit since Zeppelin opened for them early in their existence.   I think that's what had some asserting that Page "borrowed" that opening sequence which you astutely pointed out was generic.  Sure.  I've heard it used in many different tunes.  Often as transitional, but also(and more notably) in this tune, which was released before "Taurus" and some might say Randy "borrowed "  it from here-----

Whitefang

Looked up  LZ;  Jake Holmes finally sued over "Dazed and Confused" in about 2010 and they reached an out-of-court settlement.

Must have been enormo......LZ certainly made millions out of that one song.

The Yardbirds '68 2CD has an early live version of it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Led_Zeppelin_songs_written_or_inspired_by_others

I think those 1st 4 Spirit albums are remarkable.  They kept getting better with every LP.   A lot of it still holds up well....I love "Dark Eyed Woman"; great song, arrangement and performance.   "Fresh Garbage" is - unfortunately - as fresh and relevant today as the day it was recorded.  

[cool] 

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jdgm said:

I think those 1st 4 Spirit albums are remarkable.  They kept getting better with every LP.   A lot of it still holds up well....I love "Dark Eyed Woman"; great song, arrangement and performance.   "Fresh Garbage" is - unfortunately - as fresh and relevant today as the day it was recorded.  

[cool] 

They were great live too.  And we(me and my tight circle) loved how the echo effect was utilized on "Fresh Garbage" at the end, when Jay sings the last "garbage" in the song and it's echo sounded like he was saying "sh!t"  over and over and over....  [wink]

"Straight Arrow" is still somewhat relevant too.  I too still have a fondness for "Water Woman" which is fun to play on my 12 string.  [smile]

Whitefang 

• Like 1

I just listened to some of the Revolver 2022 stereo remixes on Spotify......

and if it sounds this good on Spotify it'll sound even better on CD.  It's the same album but everything is tighter and brought into focus, especially IMO the drums.

Almost like hearing it anew for the 1st time!  There is a stereo mix of "Rain", the B-side which Ringo reckons is one of his finest Beatle tracks. 

On 11/8/2022 at 4:14 PM, jdgm said:

I just listened to some of the Revolver 2022 stereo remixes on Spotify......

and if it sounds this good on Spotify it'll sound even better on CD.  It's the same album but everything is tighter and brought into focus, especially IMO the drums.

Almost like hearing it anew for the 1st time!  There is a stereo mix of "Rain", the B-side which Ringo reckons is one of his finest Beatle tracks. 

It is like the rest, there is stuff in the mix brought up that was not heard. Is it better IMHO of the original? Its cleaner and punchier and if you get the 2 CD edition, Giles remixed the single Paperback Writer/Rain as well on the out take disc. This is the first Beatles album that I liked a George song in Taxman. Most if not all of his stuff before did not impress me, and some of the stuff he did after too were nor that great. And of course Ringo sings again on Y S. How about went let the drummer do what he does best - DRUM.  Doctor Robert I never liked. Just as if Penny Lane and S F F were put on Pepper, if P R/Rain were on Revolver, it would have been much better. 

I've always loved 'Taxman' which is accurate BTW - by then the Beatles were earning so much they were paying UK "Supertax" which is where the government took 95% or  19/- (shiliings) in tax out of every £pound (£1 = 20/-), leaving the earner with one shilling...!  I can't remember what the threshold was but it was only on the top amount of very highest earners, and they don't do that now of course.    Wilson and Heath were respectively Labour and Tory Prime Ministers.

Dr Robert supposedly was the guy (a real doctor) who introduced them to LSD by spiking them at a dinner party.  "Take a drink from his special cup"....

I've always liked the song, it has good changes and a lot going for it.  And there is now a guitar pedal (od/boost) called Dr Robert (with graphics by Klaus Voormann) made in Spain, which they say "Replicates the sound of the legendary Vox UL730 vintage amp (Beatles - "Revolver")".

https://www.aclamguitars.com/dr-robert

Edited by jdgm

11 minutes ago, jdgm said:

I've always loved 'Taxman' which is accurate BTW - by then the Beatles were earning so much they were paying UK "Supertax" which is where the government took 95% or  19/- (shiliings) in tax out of every £pound (£1 = 20/-), leaving the earner with one shilling...!  I can't remember what the threshold was but it was only on the top amount of very highest earners, and they don't do that now of course.    Wilson and Heath were respectively Labour and Tory Prime Ministers.

Dr Robert supposedly was the guy (a real doctor) who introduced them to LSD by spiking them at a dinner party.  "Take a drink from his special cup"....

I've always liked the song, it has good changes and a lot going for it.  And there is now a guitar pedal (od/boost) called Dr Robert (with graphics by Klaus Voormann) made in Spain, which they say "Replicates the sound of the legendary Vox UL730 vintage amp (Beatles - "Revolver")".

https://www.aclamguitars.com/dr-robert

I thought he was a dentist. 

So one Shilling is like our Nickle? 1/20th of our dollar.

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I thought he was a dentist. 

So one Shilling is like our Nickle? 1/20th of our dollar.

Ah...you may be right.  Some sort of medical chap anyway.

£SD went like this;

Farthing - quarter of a penny, small copper-ish coin with a wren on one face

Halfpenny - slightly larger, same copper alloy

Penny - big, also known as a 'copper'; 12 of these to a shilling and 20 shillings to a £pound.

Threepenny bit - small, nickel/brass, 12 sided, 4 to a shilling obviously.

Sixpence - small, nickel silver.   I still have a Victorian silver sixpence.  The coin that Brian May famously uses as a pick.

Shilling - 12 pennies in one coin, larger than a sixpence, cupronickel...did it have a milled edge?   Think so. 

Two shillings - a 'florin' - bigger than a shilling, cupronickel, milled edge. 

Half a crown - value two shillings and sixpence, larger still than a florin, cupronickel, milled edge.  You had lots of money if you had 'two and a kick' in your pocket when I was a boy!

Crown - this coin was out of circulation before I was born, but bigger still and worth five shillings.

Ten shilling note - half a quid.  We all loved our ten bob notes.

One pound sterling.  A note back then, not a coin.  Greenish and I think it was slightly bigger than a ten bob note.

One guinea.  Twenty-one shillings.  Don't ask me, I don't know.  Guineas were posh - there weren't guinea notes or coins in my youth.

Fiver (five pound note) - the big one. Bigger than a quid, blue-ish  and worth £5 of course.  Then we get into £10, £20 and even £50 notes.

When I started work in....late 1971?.....my wages were £520 p.a.  £10 a week.   I went on the train to London every day and worked in an insurance office.   I also got luncheon vouchers....it was the 20th century!

Decimalization; 1p, 2p, 5p. 10p and 50p coins.  100p to a £1 coin.  Then there are £2 coins and after that smaller, plastic notes starting with £5.   When they began there were also 'half-p' coins but they have been phased out.  5p was equal to a shiilling, 10p to a florin, 50p was ten bob.  I say "was"  as it all got devalued over the years.

Edited by jdgm

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Ah...you may be right.  Some sort of medical chap anyway.

£SD went like this;

Farthing - quarter of a penny, small copper-ish coin with a wren on one face

Halfpenny - slightly larger, same copper alloy

Penny - big, also known as a 'copper'; 12 of these to a shilling and 20 shillings to a £pound.

Threepenny bit - small, nickel/brass, 12 sided, 4 to a shilling obviously.

Sixpence - small, nickel silver.   I still have a Victorian silver sixpence.  The coin that Brian May famously uses as a pick.

Shilling - 12 pennies in one coin, larger than a sixpence, cupronickel...did it have a milled edge?   Think so. 

Two shillings - a 'florin' - bigger than a shilling, cupronickel, milled edge.  Now we are talking.

Half a crown - value two shillings and sixpence, larger still than a florin, cupronickel, milled edge.  You had lots of money if you had 'two and a kick' in your pocket when I was a boy!

The above coins were what I knew when I was young.   Looking back now it was not only money, it was beautifully designed and minted money.

Crown - this coin was out of circulation before I was born, but bigger still and worth five shillings.

Ten shilling note - half a quid.  We all loved our ten bob notes.

One pound sterling.  A note back then, not a coin.  Greenish and I think it was slightly bigger than a ten bob note.

One guinea.  Twenty-one shillings.  Don't ask me, I don't know.  Guineas were posh - there weren't guinea notes or coins in my youth.

Fiver (five pound note) - the big one. Bigger than a quid, blue-ish  and worth £5 of course.  Then we get into £10, £20 and even £50 notes.

When I started work in....late 1971?.....my wages were £520 p.a.  £10 a week.   I went on the train to London every day and worked in an insurance office.   I also got luncheon vouchers which I'm not even going to try to explain.  It was the 20th century!

Decimalization; 1p, 2p, 5p. 10p and 50p coins.  100p to a £1 coin.  Then there are £2 coins and after that smaller, plastic notes starting with £5.   When they began there were also 'half-p' coins but they have been phased out.  5p was equal to a shiilling, 10p to a florin, 50p was ten bob.  I say "was"  as it all got devalued over the years.

I’m way to stoned to read this right now. You guys have the most complicated system possible.

• Haha 1