Gibson Brands Forums

Which Gibson?

Phil D

It's a Gibson Sailor Shoe. 

No, , , pardon, , , looks like the well known but kind of forgotten so called Hummingbird Pro. 

Not really a Hummingbird, but a distant cousin, , , if we shall be large. 

SSHPVSNH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

Probably a fine guitar.

Edited by E-minor7

3 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

It's a Gibson Sailor Shoe. 

No, , , pardon, , , looks like the well known but king of forgotten so called Hummingbird Pro. 

Not really a Hummingbird, but a distant cousin, , , if we shall be large. 

SSHPVSNH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

Probably a fine guitar.

I think you're right. I had one of these. Long scale, narrow nut

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salfromchatham said:

It’s a heavy guitar with rosewood backing. I owned one before I ever discovered guitar forums. I bought it from a Sam Ash around 9-11.

it is a nice guitar. 

I’ve been plating  acoustics most of the time for the last dozen or so years.    I’m working on something that required a bass backing…so I broke out my Fender P-Bass….damn near gave me a hernia!    I can’t BELIEVE I used to haul it around and play it on stage for hours and hours!

Guitar Center used to sell those by the dozens.   I played a few in the store and always thought they sounded very good.  Never took one home for some reason, but they were nice.

I could be wrong, but I think they made a mahogany and a rosewood version….no?  

roger

8 minutes ago, rbpicker said:

Guitar Center used to sell those by the dozens.   I played a few in the store and always thought they sounded very good.  Never took one home for some reason, but they were nice.

roger

They were a Guitar Center Exclusive. Mine was mahogany. I thought it sounded great but just didn't like the feel of it.

1 hour ago, rbpicker said:

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

They were a Guitar Center Exclusive. Mine was mahogany

Wasn't the rosewood version called Songwriter. 

Here's a vintage thread that elaborates a bit on the model.

And here presenting the H-bird Pro we have your average well balanced noble nice and sober Mister Responsible W. Decent, , , UNTILL !

he sends the thing into a firestorm. Listen from 1:50 - and be prepared.