Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Gibson C-4

63Gibby

My wife recently inherited this vintage gibson C-4 model. I can't find much about this particular model. Is it rare and or valuable? We are not selling it just wondering if it would be OK to let our kids learn on. 

20221124_192855Resized.jpg

20221124_192912Resized.jpg

20221124_192922Resized.jpg

20221124_192949Resized.jpg

20221124_193006Resized.jpg

20221124_193026Resized.jpg

20221124_193052Resized.jpg

20221124_193142Resized-1.jpg

Edited by 63Gibby

I could not find any pictures anywhere that looked like this model that's why I posted all the pictures. It is in really nice shape. I'm not much of a classical guitar guy( I don't have a bunch of experience with quality guitars) but it does sound very nice. 

I saw this one but there are a few differences, 6 digit serial number instead of 5, the wood on the sides and back don't seem nearly as nice, also the gibson on the headstock. 

Thanks for posting though. Originally I missed the picture with the C4 label. 

Edited by 63Gibby

11 minutes ago, 63Gibby said:

I saw this one but there are a few differences, 6 digit serial number instead of 5, the wood on the sides and back don't seem nearly as nice, also the gibson on the headstock. 

Thanks for posting though. Originally I missed the picture with the C4 label. 

Serial numbers change over the years.  Woods change from one guitar to the next.   And label may have not been on every guitar through the years 

I am curious to know whether or not anyone here thinks about the condition being original or not? Specifically the purfling(I believe  that is what it's called)

Was this style used on Gibson's originally or has some work been done? 

It seems as though these were not very common. Maybe special order only? Gibson original descriptions I found about the higher C series seems it shared quite a bit of the same build as the Grand Classic C-8.

20221124_192949Resized.jpg

Edited by 63Gibby
Big gaps in post

I dont see any reason for that not to be original.   Rules of thumb for Gibson  classicals the higher the number the more ornate.   

look at reverb or gbase to get a value of what they sell for .  A library or guitar store for a gruhn guitar pocket book    A wealth of info   

In response to your OP, original question - No. It would not be appropriate for your kids to learn on.   Get them a used Epiphone or student sized guitar.  You can string it with light strings or even nylon at first to make it easier on their fingers.   Someone thought enough of this guitar to protect and care for it for decades, and thought enough of your wife to leave it to her.  If you let kids at it - they will treat it like crap.  I am teaching my 11 y/o granddaughter once a week on an old, nice Harmony my wife gave her.  EVERY LESSON she bangs it on something at least once.     If your kid(s) persevere and get through 2 or 3 years of lessons - and progress to the point they treat whichever guitar they have very carefully - they will then respect this Old Gibson enough.    But, of course, your question called for an opinion,  not something factual like year, value, serial number or tone wood.  Congrats on a getting a great Closet Keeper. 

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know if this was just a dime a dozen old guitar. I know that just because I could not find a lot of info on it, that does not make it valuable and could indeed be the exact opposite. I will put it away and wait until they can be a little more cautious with it. 

With me storing it for a time is there anything I should do to preserve it? I live in northern MN and my house is obviously climate controlled and the humidity is regulated some what but does get a bit dry in the winter months. Are they very sensitive to humidity changes or is storing it in the case good enough?

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

In response to your OP, original question - No. It would not be appropriate for your kids to learn on.   Get them a used Epiphone or student sized guitar.  You can string it with light strings or even nylon at first to make it easier on their fingers.   Someone thought enough of this guitar to protect and care for it for decades, and thought enough of your wife to leave it to her. 

I have to agree.

Also, the neck will be wide and uncomfortable for a child.

When the kids have learned a few chords and stuff on their own guitar, let them see this one and strum it a bit with adult supervision.

These old guitars deserve respect, at all costs.

Very cool.

Just beautiful!

I have loaned my 'beater' Gibson out for people just starting, and I hope to do that again with my grandkids....but I wouldn't let a child start on your guitar.

Keep it nice (as someone obviously has over the years) and when they get mature and comfortable on a learning guitar, THEN let them at it!

I agree....a couple hundred dollar Epiphone is the perfect guitar to learn on.

Congratz on a great family heirloom.