Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Custom Shop 1958 Les Paul Standard Gloss Plain Top Lemon Burst

motorcitychick

Last Friday on the spur of the moment, I purchased a Gibson Custom Shop 1958 Gloss Plain Top Lemon Burst Les Paul Standard from GC in their platinum room.  What a beautiful guitar and the quality of the craftsmanship is perfect.  I wish Gibson would have put some nice case candy to go with it, like a strap, polishing cloth, and a few Gibson guitar picks  for the price I paid for this guitar.  Oh well, maybe a rep will see this posting and reach out to me and send me some swag for Christmas.  Anyway, I am very happy with my purchase and the Nashville Guitar Center has a great selection of Gibson's in their platinum room.  Merry Christmas to me!

Congratulations on what should be a beautiful guitar.  We'd love to see some pictures of it.

Gibson does put case candy in with the guitar, but it seems to disappear once it arrives at a Guitar Center.  I bought a LP Standard new in 2017 (not from GC) and it had a strap, a multi use guitar tool, a photo of the guitar on the bench being tested etc.  Gibson personnel don't review the forum posts so don't hold your breath on that one.

Happy playing and post some photos.  Use a hosting site like Imgr and copy and paste them over to here. 

9 hours ago, motorcitychick said:

I am going to contact Gibson Customer service after the first of the year and ask them what is supposed to come with this guitar, since I did pay good money for it.  I like getting swag!

Chances are your case candy is with the dishonest employee that opened the box, and purloined it.

Congrats on your impulse buy.

3 minutes ago, motorcitychick said:

I asked about it and I was told Gibson wasn't putting anything in the cases except for the paper hang tags and reissue copies from the 50's that were in the guitar back then.

That is totally lame. You drop boatloads of cash on that guitar and a get case and a hanging tag. We know where the profits are going?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

If it is a Custom Shop Reissue, you should at least get the COA (certificate of authenticity).  That's really the only piece of "candy" you get that's worth it.  If they are skimping out on those - which I'm betting they aren't - then that would be bogus.  For the record, I didn't get much with my R9 either.  Some things here and there, but looking for the COA when I get the CS stuff.  I haven't sold any CS Gibsons, but if I were, people look for these with the purchase.  Why it is this way, I guess it is what it is.  Find your COA...