Gibson Brands Forums

Loctite question….

dhanners623

Hey, gear experts…. My J-35 is wired for a Baggs M1 soundhole pickup, as are my other two guitars. But when I use a strap, it loosens the strap ring, the piece that goes on over the actual nut that tightens the jack to the tail block. (I enlarge the hole in the strap, but it still has to be tight enough that the guitar doesn’t fall off.)

My question: Is there any harm to sticking a little Loctite on the threads so the strap ring won’t come loose easily when I use a strap?

Just now, fortyearspickn said:

Apparently the red  requires being heated to 500 degrees to loosen the bond.   I didn't know that.    I'm afraid to go out in the garage to see which one I grabbed of the shelf at Wally World. 

Yeah there are different strengths of what is called Loctite.

Just now, fortyearspickn said:

Previous guidance I've received on The Internet  just said  'use Loctite to hold that screw '.   Only here, on THE GIBSON FORUM  do we get  'the rest of the story'.  

I learned that while being an electrician and having to use it on ships and shore stations, and various places I worked.

The really confusing thing about locktite too is that the bottles all tend to be red so you've really got ot pay attention when you're at the hardware store. Locktite 242 (Blue) is what you want, and as mentioned above the red is "permanent" and requires significant heat to remove.

This is one of the most confusing packaging decisions...

8854501-24.jpg

Edited by jchabalk

15 minutes ago, jchabalk said:

The really confusing thing about locktite too is that the bottles all tend to be red so you've really got ot pay attention when you're at the hardware store. Locktite 242 (Blue) is what you want, and as mentioned above the red is "permanent" and requires significant heat to remove.

This is one of the most confusing packaging decisions...

8854501-24.jpg

I think the physical color of the Loctite is blue, and see how it says Medium Strength. There are more makers of that stuff than just Loctite. Its like saying hand me a Kleenex, when its just really a tissue.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper