Gibson Brands Forums

Please help with string offset on new guitar (Gibson SG '61 VC)

ikrechet

Dear forum users, I need your help.
Got my first Gibson SG '61 VC guitar (just starting to learn).
Took it to a technician for tuning, and he pointed out some defects
(strings shifted at the bottom of the neck and a heavily beveled angle of the fingerboard). The neck is perfectly straight, a little string ringing because of it strings are lying low, but it corrects itself by tuning anchor.

Tuning guitar, he refused (perfectionist :) ), said that this is a manufacturing defect, you have to issue a return. But I really like the texture of the wood and wouldn't want to change the guitar. Please tell me if this is really a manufacturing defect, and what can affect in the future, as I would like to keep the guitar for many years of use.

Thank you for your help.

PS: specifically searched for Gibsons on the internet and many other guitars have the same offset:

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/CUS4EJ429/Pelham-Blue
https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/CUSYC9357/Faded-Cherry

01-not-equal-distance.jpg06-bottom-view.jpg02-heavily-beveled-corner.jpg02-careful-corner.jpg07-bottom-view.jpg03-top-view.jpg04-top-view.jpg05-top-view.jpg00-serial.jpg08-texture.jpg

I have seen this a few times and have refused guitars like this. 

The SG pictured doesn't appear too bad to me. It might be ok as is.

The links show guitars at an angle so I would discount those. They are probably fine.

SteveFord's roller saddles on threaded splines are a good idea. They can reposition the strings to correct them.

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

51 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I have seen this a few times and have refused guitars like this. 

The SG pictured doesn't appear too bad to me. It might be ok as is.

The links show guitars at an angle so I would discount those. They are probably fine.

SteveFord's roller saddles on threaded splines are a good idea. They can reposition the strings to correct them.

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm keeping the guitar and ordering a new bridge

• Like 2

No question that the low E String is closer to the edge than the high E string.  But what I notice in the photos is that the strings are almost perfectly centered over the screws in the pickups, so unless there is some problem with the low E slipping off the edge of the neck as you play I'd leave it alone.  Your tech is a little goofy, none of these things should effect tuning, and the beveled nut is also common.  How does the guitar play and sound?  That's all that matters - these little nit picky things aren't important.

17 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

No question that the low E String is closer to the edge than the high E string.  But what I notice in the photos is that the strings are almost perfectly centered over the screws in the pickups, so unless there is some problem with the low E slipping off the edge of the neck as you play I'd leave it alone.  Your tech is a little goofy, none of these things should effect tuning, and the beveled nut is also common.  How does the guitar play and sound?  That's all that matters - these little nit picky things aren't important.

I dont mind the low slightly closer to the edge, but the other way around is unacceptable for me.