Gibson Brands Forums

What's Your Plan?

Murph

29 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

That's OK if you have the skill, health and energy.

But for those of us that don't,  and were lucky enough to not have or be able to resist GAS attacks, [wink] might have revenue enough saved to get as much of them done professionally as possible.

I've been enjoying the conversion from having a bathtub to just now having that space as a shower stall.  I would have never been able to do that much and kind of work myself.  

Whitefang

WF... I'm no contractor.   I hire out the stuff I don't have skill in, but I do most of the 'grunt-work' around here.   I spent about 3 weeks cleaning, cleaning out and painting the garage....something I never had time to do....and I tossed good stuff...but I knew I'd never use them.....car parts, etc.

I took my son's old room, (now the music room), and completely cleaned out the closet.... painted it, arranged it so I could store 11 guitars in it, and put up a bunch of posters and artwork I didn't have room for on the walls....again, something I just never had the time to get to.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

but I do most of the 'grunt-work' around here.  

That's me as well.

I'm too picky to trust strangers to do anything I can do myself, and I simply don't trust people to do things right. Or up to my standards....

It's easier, usually FAR easier, to just do thngs myself.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

That's me as well.

I'm too picky to trust strangers to do anything I can do myself, and I simply don't trust people to do things right. Or up to my standards....

It's easier, usually FAR easier, to just do thngs myself.

We just did a complete renovation of our kitchen.... there is NO WAY I could have done that.... the contractor hired guys to demo the entire kitchen, (down to the studs), we had cabinet builders make all new cabinets, then bought all new appliances, (change to gas stovetop, new double ovens, micro, dishwasher, refrig).   removed the trash compactor, and put in the sliding drawer for trash and recycle.   Of course, now it's too nice to cook in!

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

We just did a complete renovation of our kitchen.... there is NO WAY I could have done that.... the contractor hired guys to demo the entire kitchen, (down to the studs), we had cabinet builders make all new cabinets, then bought all new appliances, (change to gas stovetop, new double ovens, micro, dishwasher, refrig).   removed the trash compactor, and put in the sliding drawer for trash and recycle.   Of course, now it's too nice to cook in!

That's a good way to go.  When the ex and I went about renovating our kitchen we found most contracting businesses that claim to do kitchens rely mostly on busing pre-built cabinets that only come in one "standard" measurement that usually  doesn't fit well in houses built before some arbitrary year.  The same with counter tops. For instance...

In the house we lived in (built in '48) had the sink, the cabinets and counter tops it was fitted in placed along the side wall of the house.  It was an old tiled counter top that extended out 23" from the wall.  Most of those contractor companies claimed that counter tops only came in 25" sizes and we would have to cut a chunk out of the woodwork that ran down that side of the door frame for the door to the side door landing .  I didn't like that idea so we passed on them and a few more who claimed the same.  We finally did find a company that would build that cabinet to fit, but one small snag was that there wasn't any affordable place to have the SINK custom made to fit as they too, came in a size that required that 25" "standard" cabinet size.  But what they did was to build the counter out 25" from the wall starting from the other end of the cabinet and just past where the sink was put a slight curve in the counter top to bring that end of it in 2" and ran it out to the wall and prevented having to cut into the brand new natural stained woodwork. 

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

That's a good way to go.  When the ex and I went about renovating our kitchen we found most contracting businesses that claim to do kitchens rely mostly on busing pre-built cabinets that only come in one "standard" measurement that usually  doesn't fit well in houses built before some arbitrary year.  The same with counter tops. For instance...

In the house we lived in (built in '48) had the sink, the cabinets and counter tops it was fitted in placed along the side wall of the house.  It was an old tiled counter top that extended out 23" from the wall.  Most of those contractor companies claimed that counter tops only came in 25" sizes and we would have to cut a chunk out of the woodwork that ran down that side of the door frame for the door to the side door landing .  I didn't like that idea so we passed on them and a few more who claimed the same.  We finally did find a company that would build that cabinet to fit, but one small snag was that there wasn't any affordable place to have the SINK custom made to fit as they too, came in a size that required that 25" "standard" cabinet size.  But what they did was to build the counter out 25" from the wall starting from the other end of the cabinet and just past where the sink was put a slight curve in the counter top to bring that end of it in 2" and ran it out to the wall and prevented having to cut into the brand new natural stained woodwork. 

Whitefang

WF, was expensive...but we had cabinets custom built and counter tops custom made.   The only thing we kept original (house built 1979) was the floor.  I only have photos of it on Facebook, but here's a video I did in the kitchen.

Edited by DanvillRob
  • Like 1

Like I always remind folks, the house I now live in was one my wife and I moved into after doing a walk-away from our previous home.  We moved in when it was a rental.  I took over ownership(after the finance company I'm next in line. [biggrin]) shortly before she died.  The kitchen in here could use some work.  I'm OK with the cabinets(they really don't look that old)  but the countertops need replacing.  New sink, disposal and dishwasher would be good too.  And the floor.  And that'll have to wait for now.  Things cost so much now.  And by the way......

That kitchen work on the house with the ex cost us $5,000.  Not much now, but in 1977 was way expensive.  

And good acoustics in your kitchen.  [thumbup]

Whitefang

Just now, Whitefang said:

And good acoustics in your kitchen.  [thumbup]

Whitefang

Yeah.... I like the sound in there....but I don't want to drag all my 'stuff' in there to record....much like our master bath....we had it done about 2 years ago.... same thing....the song has to be one that just needs an acoustic guitar....but actually the acoustics in there are just as good as the kitchen.   I did a couple of songs in there too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...