Gibson Brands Forums

Custom Shop Lifetime Warranty

MjrPaynendaz

Yeah yeah yeah with the humidification and swelling and god knows what other special traumatic things could possibly crack a guitar.

I reached over to move one of my Martins out of the way of lady cat.  It was in front of her little place she went on the end of the couch.  The seat of the couch is...18, 20 inches off the floor, if that?  Guitar slid towards me, and in slow motion over the side, landed gently and quietly on the carpet, I picked it up and BAM! 4 inch crack in the lower side, back by the back corner.

At that time one of my best guitar friends was, among other things, a Martin authorized repair guy.  When that guitar went for a set up because I changed gauges he chuckled at it and put a cleat in and made it good.  There was never a thought of warranty because as he said so well, these things happen and we often don't even know they happened.  He had had a lot of guitars come in his place with mystery cracks that required warranty repairs but alas, none did.

I'm not disparaging the original poster.  They pretty much don't just crack and the major makers know this too.

rct

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rct said:

Yeah yeah yeah with the humidification and swelling and god knows what other special traumatic things could possibly crack a guitar.

I reached over to move one of my Martins out of the way of lady cat.  It was in front of her little place she went on the end of the couch.  The seat of the couch is...18, 20 inches off the floor, if that?  Guitar slid towards me, and in slow motion over the side, landed gently and quietly on the carpet, I picked it up and BAM! 4 inch crack in the lower side, back by the back corner.

At that time one of my best guitar friends was, among other things, a Martin authorized repair guy.  When that guitar went for a set up because I changed gauges he chuckled at it and put a cleat in and made it good.  There was never a thought of warranty because as he said so well, these things happen and we often don't even know they happened.  He had had a lot of guitars come in his place with mystery cracks that required warranty repairs but alas, none did.

I'm not disparaging the original poster.  They pretty much don't just crack and the major makers know this too.

rct

Not the M-36?

I would gladly have a cracked M-36 if we could have her back for just one day.  She left us at 10 and her brother lived to 18.  She went way too soon.  I'll never part with that 000-16.

rct

19 hours ago, rct said:

I would gladly have a cracked M-36 if we could have her back for just one day.  She left us at 10 and her brother lived to 18.  She went way too soon.  I'll never part with that 000-16.

rct

Pets aren’t pets - they are family.

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Pets aren’t pets - they are family.

My wife had a pet grasshopper.  Resided on her potted Key Lime tree on our back porch.  At lunch every day - she would go to the kitchen window to look for him on her tree, a couple of feet away.  In an Open Range mode,  he went over to my miniature Plumeria and chomped out a hand sized piece from one leaf.  Assuming ACS wouldn't take him -   I evicted him to the back of the lawn.  I would have done the same to my mother in law.