Gibson Brands Forums

J-200 vs J-200 Studio

DanvillRob

I know I can look up the specs...but I was hoping someone in here would know off the top of their head.... what are the differences between a J-200 and a J-200 Studio?

I always felt the J-200 was too big for me, but when I played a J-200 at The Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, I found I really liked it...and my son took video and I didn't look like Little Jimmy Dickens playing it.

Are the woods the same?   bracing?  

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Murph said:

I always thought the Studio versions were thinner, but I'm surely no expert.

You might well be right....  and maybe that's why it felt comfortable when the J-200 seemed too big for me.

I noticed it didn't have all the 'bling' a J-200 has...but wasn't sure about the specs....I thought it sounded pretty good, (considering all the background noise at the R&RHOF).

6 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

You still might have been.    

LOL!

The Spruce & Rosewood SJ-200 & SJ-200 Studio are similar.. There are some differences but not sure if they would make a big difference in Sound.. The Electronics are different in the Studio model. That is probably the most audibly noticeable.. I didn’t notice anything about Bracing or Top thickness… 

Musicians Freind list both SJ200 Studios with Advanced Response neck profile and slim body depth body design.

Gibson acoustic-electric hand-crafted with Sitka spruce top and rosewood back and sides, plus Fishman Sonitone pickup.

Hand-crafted with Sitka spruce and rosewood, this Gibson SJ-200 Studio is sure to please the eye and the ear. Utilizing Gibson's Advanced Response neck profile and slim body depth body design, the SJ-200 is the most comfortable Super Jumbo model Gibson has ever built, without sacrificing in tone. The SJ-200 is outfitted with a Fishman Sonitone pickup for easy plug and play anywhere.

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

Musicians Freind list both SJ200 Studios with Advanced Response neck profile and slim body depth body design.

Gibson acoustic-electric hand-crafted with Sitka spruce top and rosewood back and sides, plus Fishman Sonitone pickup.

Hand-crafted with Sitka spruce and rosewood, this Gibson SJ-200 Studio is sure to please the eye and the ear. Utilizing Gibson's Advanced Response neck profile and slim body depth body design, the SJ-200 is the most comfortable Super Jumbo model Gibson has ever built, without sacrificing in tone. The SJ-200 is outfitted with a Fishman Sonitone pickup for easy plug and play anywhere.

Very cool.