Gibson Brands Forums

Dating LG-1 and Travel Case

nat2u87

Hi everyone, 

My grandmother gifted me her vintage Gibson guitar. I'm trying to date the guitar and believe it is an LG-1 from the mid-1960s, but not sure what year. Does anyone have any idea? The serial number appears to be 064826.

Also, I would like to buy a travel case for it so I can bring in on a flight home -- does anyone have any recommendations? I booked a first class flight to ensure priority boarding so I hopefully won't have to check it under the plane.

Thank you for considering!

70404039879__C1BD59E2-6310-43F7-B858-C272E7FBD311.jpg

70404144852__754711F0-62AE-4B57-8841-6C367CCA9B84.jpg

Lovies chart says '67.  LG1 is what it is, looks all original, and maybe folks here have found the correct fairly good case for LGs, but if you're pressed for time you can probably get along with a gig bag traveling 1st class, from a local guitar shop until you get home with time to look for a permanent one.  Loosen the strings to travel.

https://loviesguitars.com/gibson-serial-number-identification-dating/

I believe the Silver Creek 'Classical' case fits, but you'll have to fine tune your search and fit.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/silver-creek-classical-guitar-case/541695000001000?pfm=krecs+541695000001000+31556+MFWPDPT

This is the second Gibson sporting a six digit serial number starting with an "0" which has been posted about in just a day or two.

While  I cannot tell from the photo, the easiest way to tell if the Guitar is an LG1 or LG2 even from a distance is to look into the soundhole.   If you do not see a strip running down the center of the back it is a ladder braced G1.  If the strip is there it is an X braced LG2 which by the time yours was built had been redesignated a B25.

As to a case, the LGs were the same size as a classical guitar.  So pretty easy to find one which will work.

Edited by zombywoof

25 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Hey ZW.  Was there ever a adj bridge setup on the LG2?  I couldn't find any.

Try looking under B25.  As far as I know the B25 acquired an ADJ saddle bridge well before 1967.  If I recall correctly those hollow plastic bridges Gibson started using in 1963 had ADJ saddles.  I guess they just continued to go with them after returning to the rosewood bridges.  As far as I know, the LG1 also sported an ADJ bridge by '67.

Edited by zombywoof

I can confirm that a good classical guitar case will fit this guitar nicely.  Over the last 40-odd years I've given classical cases and bought them for myself to house assorted LG-1 and LG-2 guitars, and it is exactly the right fit - even though the LG guitars are usually deeper than a true classical.  It still fits, and fits well.

The "G" in LG has been explained as a carryover from when Gibson decided to use the same body shape (and I assume molds) used for their GS series classical guitars in the late '30s.  

One other consideration - if you have your Grandma's original case...  it should be a brown chipboard/cardboardy thing with a plastic handle and a faux alligator pattern... probably in bad shape even if sitting under the bed:  They can sell for enough to buy a half decent case that will protect your guitar.  AND, if you don't have the wherewithal to get a new, solid one before your trip home - if you use that case - the flight crew might be more considerate of taking care of it than if you have it in a new looking vinyl gig bag.   FWIW.  Congrats!   They are great guitars. 

Get a Gator case. Either their Lightweight case: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GLClassic--gator-lightweight-case-classical-guitar or their ATA Molded case: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GTSAGTRClass--gator-ata-molded-guitar-case-with-tsa-latches-for-classical-guitars

I have both, and both have their advantages. The Lightweight case is MUCH better than a gigbag — much more protection but still very light. I was once made to gate-check my J-35 in a Gator Lightweight case on an international flight. The guitar was fine.

The ATA Molded doesn’t really bill itself as a “flight” case, but I have checked mine before as baggage with zero problems. They offer very good protection for the price and the TSA latch is a bonus.

The big thing to remember re: taking a guitar as a carry-on is you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. When dealing with the airline counter people and gate agents, be polite. Smile. Depending on the airplane, they generally have room in a closet, and a classical-sized guitar case will even fit in many overheads. I’ve stuck mine there before.

I’ve found airline people are more prone to make you check the guitar if they see a hardshell case. If it is a soft-sided case, they’ll often figure it is safer to let you take it aboard. (Airlines want to avoid liability if they can….) That’s one of the reasons I like the Lightweight — it looks like a gigbag but the rigid foam offers good protection on the sides, top and bottom.

10 hours ago, rustystrings said:

The "G" in LG has been explained as a carryover from when Gibson decided to use the same body shape (and I assume molds) used for their GS series classical guitars in the late '30s.  

"L" , of course, indicated the Series such as L1 or L-00 (which was the only L series guitar to be built to into 1945).  John Thomas agrees that the "G" may have  well have been taken from the GS (Gut String) classical series reflecting the fact the model shared a classical guitar size body.

Edited by zombywoof

13 hours ago, zombywoof said:

This is the second Gibson sporting a six digit serial number starting with an "0" which has been posted about in just a day or two.

While  I cannot tell from the photo, the easiest way to tell if the Guitar is an LG1 or LG2 even from a distance is to look into the soundhole.   If you do not see a strip running down the center of the back it is a ladder braced G1.  If the strip is there it is an X braced LG2 which by the time yours was built had been redesignated a B25.

As to a case, the LGs were the same size as a classical guitar.  So pretty easy to find one which will work.

Thank you for this tip -- it's ladder braced! Thanks for helping me confirm it's an LG1.

Good news is I can reply on this forum again, thanks to the Gibson boffins for fixing the bug!

Still waiting for my luthier to repair my 1952 LG1, said a week but it is now about 3 months! He has been extremely busy. Luckily I have a few spare guitars!😃

Now on the issue of travel cases mentioned earlier, the only ones for me are Hiscox cases, late reply I know but I have had forum tech difficulties! Their ‘small classical case’ should hold the LG1. Look up Hiscox Cases website, look up ‘small classical’ and check the specs against the size of your guitar. Hiscox and your guitar will survive Armaggeddon, not sure of giving it to baggage handlers...

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777