Gibson Brands Forums

Bad solder or loose wire on my 2004 gibson les paul standard 50s neck

jalexquijano

As you can see from my profile picture, i am having problems with the bridge pickup volume potentiometer. I am starting to hear some rain like or scratched record sound coming out when i play the guitar using that pickup.

Due to this issue I decided to open the controls cavity as shown in the picture so I can get advice. How can I determine if i only have to put more solder or take all the old solder and put new solder to the pot.

Should I keep to stock 50s wiring or change the capacitor position converting it to modern wiring.

Problem solved! I took it to a tech and it had loose solder. Seems like to former owner did not know how to solder. Now I have the bridge pickup sounding more powerfull than the neck pickup. Is there a standard measure for neck and bridge les paul standard pickup height to get a correct balance between the 2 humbucking pickups?

Is the bride pup higher than the neck pup? You could try lowering one or raising the other.

I tried lowering the bridge and raised the neck to achieve an equal balance, however th bridge pickup still sounds very bright compared to the neck pickup which sound muddier.

Archived