Gibson Brands Forums

UK Punk In The 70’s

Sgt. Pepper

How many of you guys on the Forum who live over in Britain we’re old enough to see all these UK bands in the mid-70s to when it died? I saw The Clash open for The Who in ‘82, and The Clash blew The Who away.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Pinch said:

I never tire of pointing out how ridiculous it was of them to write "I'm so bored of the USA" and then touring there. 

Indeed. The Clash had their moment and it was London Calling, by Sandinista it was wearing thin. And by Combat Rock they were done. The Jam had moments of greatness. The Pistols were utter shizza. 

16 hours ago, Pinch said:

I never tire of pointing out how ridiculous it was of them to write "I'm so bored of the USA" and then touring there. 

It was them being whinny punks then they became rock stars. Oh the irony.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I didn't see that many punk bands just the Clash, Jam, The Tom Robinson Band, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Sham 69 and Generation X.

I also saw a few bands that were borderline Punk/New Wave like the Stranglers, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Blondie (on their first tour of the UK before they were famous) which was an "interesting" gig and also The Boomtime Rats on their first gig in England at a small club which was also interesting. My mates and I weren't old enough to be in the club but things turned interesting when Bob Geldof started throwing punches at members of the audience (the "stage" and the dance floor were on the same level), but there were some pretty rough lads in that club so it really didn't end well!  Saint Bob isn't actually a very nice chap.

PS, the Blondie gig was an even more interesting one, but I'm not sure I could tell it on here.

Edited by IanHenry

1 hour ago, IanHenry said:

I didn't see that many punk bands just the Clash, Jam, The Tom Robinson Band, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Sham 69 and Generation X.

I also saw a few bands that were borderline Punk/New Wave like the Stranglers, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Blondie (on their first tour of the UK before they were famous) which was an "interesting" gig and also The Boomtime Rats on their first gig in England at a small club which was also interesting. My mates and I weren't old enough to be in the club but things turned interesting when Bob Geldof started throwing punches at members of the audience (the "stage" and the dance floor were on the same level), but there were some pretty rough lads in that club so it really didn't end well!  Saint Bob isn't actually a very nice chap.

PS, the Blondie gig was an even more interesting one, but I'm not sure I could tell it on here.

You can PM me about it. I worked with a guy who lived in NYC and was old enough to go to see all the CBGC shows. He said he saw Blondie several times and each time they were awful. He said the best he ever saw was Stiv Bators. He saw the Ramones several times. The list of stuff he saw was astounding. I used to talk to him about it and live thought him.

Yeah when you start to learn about rock stars, you learn they are just regular people who its their job to make music. In doing so some get fame and fortune, but it doesn't make them good people, a la Roger Water.