Gibson Brands Forums

What's Your Current Go-To Coffee Rig?

9 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

Obviously incorrect on the usage of that word. Ty.

Still, there's leaching effect. It's only argued as to what effect that has on us. 

Most if not all materials that can absorb flavors are also subject to leaching. Especialy when heat is applied.

In the end, it's a personal choice. There was a time when we thought plastics did no harm at all.

Edit

Now we're removing what we know are bad properties out of our plastics. Still, there maybe other properties that are bad. It's only after exausted studies that manufacturers are forced to act.

But all thats a path you and I don't wanna go down. It's exausting and futile.

Since you use a press too, I have 2 questions. Sometimes I  only drink 2 cups of the four cups I make in my press and get busy doing whatever, thus forgetting the two cups left in the press sitting on the counter for hours. Does that make the coffee stronger, or bitter, or what? (I tend to drink it anyways, but I make iced mochas with it, so the taste is disguised a bit.) Secondly, the worst part of using a press is cleaning the smashed grounds out of the bottom of the pot without using the tap and sending the grinds down the drain. (I like to use the used grounds as compost/fertilizer. What do you do?

Edited by Sheepdog1969

1 hour ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Since you use a press too, I have 2 questions. Sometimes I  only drink 2 cups of the four cups I make in my press and get busy doing whatever, thus forgetting the two cups left in the press sitting on the counter for hours. Does that make the coffee stronger, or bitter, or what? (I tend to drink it anyways, but I make iced mochas with it, so the taste is disguised a bit.) Secondly, the worst part of using a press is cleaning the smashed grounds out of the bottom of the pot without using the tap and sending the grinds down the drain. (I like to use the used grounds as compost/fertilizer. What do you do?

The longer you steep in your press, stronger the coffee. Just like tea bags in a cup. But you knew that. Solve over steeping issue by using a carafe. Press your coffee, steep desired time, grab a cup and pour the rest into a carafe. I use a simple steel thermos that I preheat with scalding water I've nuked while I make my coffee.

But after a while even that will go bitter. Have to realize, the darkness/strength of your brew is due to the amount of particulate matter in water. PPM. Parts Per Million. But only Howard Schultz dives into the nuts and bolts of coffee that deeply.🙃 Anyway, point is, that even if you pour into a carafe, the micro particles in your brew are still steeping.  Coffee beans consists of protiens/caffine, fats and acids amoungst other things. But those are what we're interested in. Ergo, stronger, fattier, and bitter coffee over time. Icing early would slow that process. But it wont be denied.

Now I'm purdy much off grid. Filtrated well water and ceptic with leach fields. No public water or sewer.. So I can't have grounds down my drain. I have to wipe out press with paper towel every time. Arg....

-------

Be advised sir, my wife is a master gardener. Despite what you've heard, and I've heard it too, be sparing on coffee grounds as fertilizer. Something about naturally ocurring acids over time. Needs to be processed naturally. IDK exactly what she does, but she has a big garbage can with holes in the bottom with a catch basin under it. She puts all kinds of vegetable matter in it. Food and yard waste. With water and something else to help it all break down. Heat from the sun and time does the rest.

Also, the part about particulate matter and strength. Not that simple. Temps, grind, roast, time, and bean all have a play in what's extracted. Just didn't wanna get all Howard Schultzy on you. Guess I kinda did anyway. Sorry. But you get it. You've been in the bizz.

I really don't know all your backround. So pls excuse if I insulted your intelegence sir.

Is that wordy or what. Sheesh........,

Edited by CROWB8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

The longer you steep in your press, stronger the coffee. Just like tea bags in a cup. But you knew that. Solve over steeping issue by using a carafe. Press your coffee, steep desired time, grab a cup and pour the rest into a carafe. I use a simple steel thermos that I preheat with scalding water I've nuked while I make my coffee.

But after a while even that will go bitter. Have to realize, the darkness/strength of your brew is due to the amount of particulate matter in water. PPM. Parts Per Million. But only Howard Schultz dives into the nuts and bolts of coffee that deeply.🙃 Anyway, point is, that even if you pour into a carafe, the micro particles in your brew are still steeping.  Coffee beans consists of protiens/caffine, fats and acids amoungst other things. But those are what we're interested in. Ergo, stronger, fattier, and bitter coffee over time. Icing early would slow that process. But it wont be denied.

Now I'm purdy much off grid. Filtrated well water and ceptic with leach fields. No public water or sewer.. So I can't have grounds down my drain. I have to wipe out press with paper towel every time. Arg....

-------

Be advised sir, my wife is a master gardener. Despite what you've heard, and I've heard it too, be sparing on coffee grounds as fertilizer. Something about naturally ocurring acids over time. Needs to be processed naturally. IDK exactly what she does, but she has a big garbage can with holes in the bottom with a catch basin under it. She puts all kinds of vegetable matter in it. Food and yard waste. With water and something else to help it all break down. Heat from the sun and time does the rest.

Also, the part about particulate matter and strength. Not that simple. Temps, grind, roast, time, and bean all have a play in what's extracted. Just didn't wanna get all Howard Schultzy on you. Guess I kinda did anyway. Sorry. But you get it. You've been in the bizz.

I really don't know all your backround. So pls excuse if I insulted your intelegence sir.

Brother, I love details, and your info, (and how you deliver it), is exactly what I wanted. Many times what I think I know is either plain wrong or not quite right. In the rare event that I AM right, confirmation from folks like you, (with solid knowledge bases beyond mine), is awesome. Anyone kind enough to spend their precious time providing me help with their knowledge and experience, could never "insult my intelligence" when educating me. Thanks so much! 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

So what's wrong with rinsing your press outside?  And pouring those grounds ON the ground?

Of course, what you do now is more advisable in the Winter.

Whitefang

11 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

So what's wrong with rinsing your press outside?  And pouring those grounds ON the ground?

Whitefang

giphy.gif

Edited by CROWB8
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

Didn't know how to reply to that. The obvious reply would be that I'm in my kitchen standing in front of the sink with a waste can under sink in cabinet. Don't have to go anywhere.

Why would I go outside, grab garden hose and rinse press of grounds in yard every day for however long. End up with a large area where nothing grows.

Just sayin.....

Edited by CROWB8

First of all, you don't need to use a garden hose.  Just fill the press with water, take it outside and swish it around a bit.  THEN pour it out.  And the grounds won't keep anything from growing .  And do that AFTER dumping most of the grounds in the waste can.  D'OH!

134-1343436_homer-simpson-homer-simpson-

[wink]  Whitefang

23 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

And the grounds won't keep anything from growing

Over time they will. They become too acidic all by itself.  Sorry, but I'm going to trust my wife who holds a master gardener license. It's her yard so.....

I thank you for the suggestion. But what you also don't know is I'm on o2 bottles. I'd have a lot to drag outside.

Respect Ken. Ty.

Edited by CROWB8

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

First of all, you don't need to use a garden hose.  Just fill the press with water, take it outside and swish it around a bit.  THEN pour it out.  And the grounds won't keep anything from growing .  And do that AFTER dumping most of the grounds in the waste can.  D'OH!

134-1343436_homer-simpson-homer-simpson-

[wink]  Whitefang

So I spoke to the wifey. We're both kinda wrong/right. Raw coffee needs to be amended first. Otherwise accumulations of coffee will start to mold, become highly acidic, destroying root sytems symbiotic mold that all plants need to get nutrients and kill them. In the interim, depending on the amount, things will grow. Eventually look like they're poisoned tho. Yellow and such.

Anyway,

I don't wanna go outside. Peas don't make me Ken. Peas!!

Joking. S'what I does. 🙃🙃🙃🙃

Edited by CROWB8
  • Haha 1

See.....

And I was just trying to save a few thousand trees by suggesting a way to quit using all that paper toweling.  [wink]

And after dumping most of the grounds into the waste can, there can't be that many left in the press.  And when you swish the inside with water and dump it out there's no law that says you always have to dump that water in the same place all the time.  So there's really no danger to your grass.

Whitefang

• 5 months later...
On 7/29/2023 at 6:04 AM, CROWB8 said:

-------

I've seen all sorts of coffee making gadgets discussed here. As a person who appreciates a good cup of coffee, I decided to share the Coffeetek NEO Q which was a discovery for me. You will need space for it, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

We often sprinkle coffee grounds in the garden and have always been assured that it is beneficial. 🤨

Edited by Vernon Fargo