Gibson Brands Forums

What's Your Current Go-To Coffee Rig?

On 7/10/2023 at 3:24 PM, jdgm said:

Similar I think....?

Salter coffee grinder.  Pretty cheap but functional.

I always make filter coffee using a Melita  1 x 6 plastic filter holder and Rombouts size 4 filter papers.   The most important thing is to swirl the ground coffee around in the filter paper as its trickling through.  Water must be off the boil of course.   Don't usually bother to heat the milk if it's just for me :-$    I'd like a milk frother.  Used grounds go into the compost.

I can only have one (large) cup a day now; ten years ago I was taking a litre flask of strong java to work every day and it eventually gave me serious heart palpitations, contributing to my atrial fibrillation. 

My favourite beans ATM are Sumatra Mandheling and Monsoon Malabar.   Can't stand any instant coffee; horrible stuff. 

Try using 155 degree (f) water, not boiling water, (if you are heating the water yourself). 210 degree (f) (boiling) water "scalds" the grounds and makes the coffee taste bitter. This 155 degree method makes a huge difference in taste. Let me know what you think after trying it this way!

Until 6 months ago, I used a "Bunn-O-Matic" coffee machine, (pour the desired amount of water into the reservoir, dump the desired amount of coffee into the paper filter fitted into the removable "filter/coffee holder thingy", flip the switch, and wait for the pot to fill.) It made "coffee", but nothing to write home about. Then a friend told me about a "French Press". I had heard about them, but assumed one would need to drink what it made with your pinky finger "out" while looking down your nose at everyone.  A few days later he stopped by with his "Press" and a small bag of "the cheapest medium grind, medium roast coffee" Walmart sells. He told me to brew a pot of the Medium Roast Dunkin' Donut coffee I had, and he would make 4 cups of the Walmart crud in his Press, using 155 degree (f) water, (and equal amounts of coffee to how I made mine.)  If I liked his better, I was to buy a French Press. Needless to say, I now use a French Press!

Nearly every "coffee machine" heats the water, (I do use filtered water, btw), to boiling, which "scalds" the coffee grounds, making the brew bitter. Additionally, each "machine" "pours" that boiling water over the grounds in a varying and suboptimal way, never really exposing the coffee grounds to the right amount of water, at the correct temperature, for the right amount of time. With a French Press, Temperature and Time are controlled by you. 155 degree (f) water is poured into a vessel containing your desired amount of medium grind coffee, which is then  held under the water by a "screen/filter" device, (the grounds are initially held just about 1/4 of an inch below the surface of the water), for just under 4 minutes. At just under 4 min., the press is slowly pushed fully down, pushing the grounds to the bottom of the vessel, allowing the brewed coffee to be poured out. (Temp, time, water volume, and volume of grounds can be varied to your own taste, btw.) Those who add milk/cream to their "Joe" may need to warm up the milk/cream, because refrigerated products, added to your cup, will drastically lower the 155 degree coffee temp!  

9 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Try using 155 degree (f) water, not boiling water, (if you are heating the water yourself). 210 degree (f) (boiling) water "scalds" the grounds and makes the coffee taste bitter. This 155 degree method makes a huge difference in taste. Let me know what you think after trying it this way!

What I meant by "off the boil" (must be a UK-only expression?) is that it is not boiling. 

[wink]

Edited by jdgm

I'm amused by just how 'different' we all are when it comes to 'our coffee rig'.   For each of us, we've found what works for us.

Much the same as the guitars we choose, amps we choose, state to live in, house we choose to live in, jobs we choose to have our career in....etc....etc...etc....

(won't even get into politics, vax status and all that other stuff that can't be discussed without everyone getting the shorts in a knot).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

I also noticed during my travels in Europe, 'coffee' isn't the same there..... small cups, EXTREMELY strong.

When possible I'd order 'Cafe Americano'.   Seemed to work in most countries there.

Never traveled to Europe, but if I ever do I'll try to remember that.  But I do recall that until sometime in the '90's in Canada there was no such thing as the "refill" like in the states, when you ordered coffee with your meal you'd get endless refills of your coffee at no charge.  In Canada I asked for a refill of my coffee while having dinner and found I was charged for another cup of coffee on my bill.  When I brought the matter up to the cashier I was told, "We don't do the free refill thing in Canada."  That happened sometime in the '70's.

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang
  • Confused 1

I got some Dunkin Donuts coffee beans and noticed that they used at least two different kinds of beans.  So I started mixing different beans and now I use 5 parts 8 O'Clock Columbian to 4 parts Sam's Club Columbian beans.  I mix all the beans up in a bag and put them in the grinder.  Mmmm.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

I got some Dunkin Donuts coffee beans and noticed that they used at least two different kinds of beans. 

I used to be in the biz back in the 90's when this whole latte craze started.

FYI, most every brand has a "blend". Some locals may tout a single bean roast. But most major players are after a bigger market share. Hence, a sig "blend" is created.

Edit,

I should add that looks can be deceiving. Different "apearances" may not donote a different bean. Not to say dunkin doesn't. Just sayin. Dunkin doesn't grow or roast. They buy from a supplier. But, that supplier is going to do their best to supply Dunkin with their desired sig blend taste.

And two different batches of like beans may go through a different roasting process. There's a lot going on when it comes to  mere coffee bean.

Every year sig brands work at blending the same taste that they're known for. There is a finite supply of the most desired beans. So.....

Kona beans set the bar for luxury and price. All others follow.

Edited by CROWB8

15 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

I used to be in the biz back in the 90's when this whole latte craze started.

FYI, most every brand has a "blend". Some locals may tout a single bean roast. But most major players are after a bigger market share. Hence, a sig "blend" is created.

Edit,

I should add that looks can be deceiving. Different "apearances" may not donote a different bean. Not to say dunkin doesn't. Just sayin. Dunkin doesn't grow or roast. They buy from a supplier. But, that supplier is going to do their best to supply Dunkin with their desired sig blend taste.

And two different batches of like beans may go through a different roasting process. There's a lot going on when it comes to  mere coffee bean.

Every year sig brands work at blending the same taste that they're known for. There is a finite supply of the most desired beans. So.....

Kona beans set the bar for luxury and price. All others follow.

I interned for Continental Coffee Products Company in the 80's. (CCPC was a large part of Continental Foods, which owned ARA, Sysco, etc.) CCPC had multiple "factories" that Roasted and processed the thousand or so different types of coffee we sold. (I helped land the 7/11 contract, which was massive) Had Staley-Continental not been acquired by Tate & Lyle, (who then broke up and sold off Continental Foods to Kraft, etc., CCPC (Coffee) would have been my career. What part of the Coffee industry did you work in Crowb8? 

3 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I interned for Continental Coffee Products Company in the 80's. (CCPC was a large part of Continental Foods, which owned ARA, Sysco, etc.) CCPC had multiple "factories" that Roasted and processed the thousand or so different types of coffee we sold. (I helped land the 7/11 contract, which was massive) Had Staley-Continental not been acquired by Tate & Lyle, (who then broke up and sold off Continental Foods to Kraft, etc., CCPC (Coffee) would have been my career. What part of the Coffee industry did you work in Crowb8? 

In Seattle. Employed with the company that imported La Marzocco machines for Starbucks when they first started. Trained many a Starbuck barista. Not stating the company I worked for as we separated with bad intent. The company ended up buying majority stock in La Marzocco so we could make the machines in the states as Starbucks damands were greater than La Marzocco/Italy could produce. Italians do thing differently. They don't hire and then lay off workers as damand changes. And not getting machines in March when the entire country goes to sleep was a hinderance for demand as well.

So my experience is with building and servicing espresso machines as well as training others to operate them.

Edit

Chose not to get into sales as I drove cab in my younger days and that made me not like the general public. Plus, I didn't like Howard Schultz. Not many ppl did.

After being in the USAF working with hydraulics and pneumatics on fighter aircraft, then having the opertunaty to get into the then very lucrative and fast growing ground floor in the espresso bizz, seemed like the thing to do. As boiler and steam tech seemed fairly elemtenary to me.

Learning beans, humidity effects, grinders, making the perfect shot with good crema, that was fun. Didn't get into serving and making the various types of espresso drinks. That's an entirely different animal. But one has to start with the perfect shot. Being a barista is an art in itself. Great respect for a good barista.

Edited by CROWB8

On 7/15/2023 at 9:33 AM, DanvillRob said:

I'm amused by just how 'different' we all are when it comes to 'our coffee rig'.   For each of us, we've found what works for us.

Much the same as the guitars we choose, amps we choose, state to live in, house we choose to live in, jobs we choose to have our career in....etc....etc...etc....

(won't even get into politics, vax status and all that other stuff that can't be discussed without everyone getting the shorts in a knot).

And then there's the brand of coffee we each prefer to use.  For example.....

I now use a "store brand"(Meijer)  coffee they call "half caff".  Supposedly boasting having half the caffeine of regular coffee.  So, in effort to reduce the amount of coffee I consume daily and cut back on the caffeine I gave it a try and found it's pretty good.   Years ago I used to use a  "decaf" brand called BRIM.  Tasted no different from regular, but since the mid '80's I haven't been able to find it anywhere.  And at that point I took to an old brand called CHASE & SANDBORN.  It now too is difficult to find. Tried CHOCK FULL O' NUTS for a while but the cost got to me.  But grew up on Maxwell house and A&P's Eight O'Clock  coffee.  I remember going to the now defunct A&P supermarket and having the cashier pour those 8 O'clock beans into the big red grinders they had at each register.  And eventually grinding the beans myself when they moved those grinders into the coffee aisles.  I miss all that too.

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, saturn said:

We use a Cuisinart  to make pots or Keurig for individual cups.

My son brought this into our house, but I've yet to get an espresso.

lzhcTPE.jpg

Now that's a machine. Seperate boiler and pump. In the right hands, ooooo, me likes allot sir.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitefang said:

And then there's the brand of coffee we each prefer to use.  For example.....

I now use a "store brand"(Meijer)  coffee they call "half caff".  Supposedly boasting having half the caffeine of regular coffee.  So, in effort to reduce the amount of coffee I consume daily and cut back on the caffeine I gave it a try and found it's pretty good.   Years ago I used to use a  "decaf" brand called BRIM.  Tasted no different from regular, but since the mid '80's I haven't been able to find it anywhere.  And at that point I took to an old brand called CHASE & SANDBORN.  It now too is difficult to find. Tried CHOCK FULL O' NUTS for a while but the cost got to me.  But grew up on Maxwell house and A&P's Eight O'Clock  coffee.  I remember going to the now defunct A&P supermarket and having the cashier pour those 8 O'clock beans into the big red grinders they had at each register.  And eventually grinding the beans myself when they moved those grinders into the coffee aisles.  I miss all that too.

Whitefang

It's amazing (sad?) how many brands we used to know are gone.

I wasn't a coffee drinker until I started working graveyard shift at MACK Trucks....now I look forward to the three small mugs I drink every morning.

I serve my wife her coffee in bed each morning, used to be only on weekends, but since I'm retired, now it's every day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2023 at 8:34 AM, DanvillRob said:

I also noticed during my travels in Europe, 'coffee' isn't the same there..... small cups, EXTREMELY strong.

When possible I'd order 'Cafe Americano'.   Seemed to work in most countries there.

You ever have Turkish coffee? Thick, hot, and you get a serious amperage jolt off those. Replace my fuse every time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

You ever have Turkish coffee? Thick, hot, and you get a serious amperage jolt off those. Replace my fuse every time.

Yeah, I tried it before.  Next best thing to hot silt.

5 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

It's amazing (sad?) how many brands we used to know are gone.

I wasn't a coffee drinker until I started working graveyard shift at MACK Trucks....now I look forward to the three small mugs I drink every morning.

I serve my wife her coffee in bed each morning, used to be only on weekends, but since I'm retired, now it's every day.

But which BRAND do you serve her?  [wink]

Whitefang

• Confused 2

Just now, Whitefang said:

Yeah, I tried it before.  Next best thing to hot silt.

But which BRAND do you serve her?  [wink]

Whitefang

I only buy the coffee she likes.....but heck if I know what it is..... comes in a purple bag....from Safeway.   (I now do all the grocery shopping).

• Thanks 1