Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson j160e wiring

alfonso89

Take it to a luthier/tech. You will thank yourself for it if you don’t know what you are doing.

Not to mention if your guitar doesn’t have holes for the tone and volume pots get ready to drill into the top of your guitar. The horror.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 7/23/2023 at 4:00 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Take it to a luthier/tech. You will thank yourself for it if you don’t know what you are doing.

Not to mention if your guitar doesn’t have holes for the tone and volume pots get ready to drill into the top of your guitar. The horror.

It has the holes!

IMG_20230727_232306.thumb.jpg.393669afae1841341ff4690ff58d485e.jpg

I understand your point but since the guitar was so cheap and theres no guitar tech available in the area... Plus, I would like to learn to do those things. I have the feeling that it's a very simple thing to do: solder one wire to the pot knob and the wire that come from the pickup to the volume knob

I haven’t tried this but YouTube is your friend… It seems like anything I want to do to Guitars & Amps I’ve been able to get multiple tutorials there & I’ve learned how to do all kinds of things..

I didn’t know Sigma made a J-160E? I’ve played some Sigmas & they are very good Guitars.. 

2 hours ago, alfonso89 said:

It has the holes!

IMG_20230727_232306.thumb.jpg.393669afae1841341ff4690ff58d485e.jpg

I understand your point but since the guitar was so cheap and theres no guitar tech available in the area... Plus, I would like to learn to do those things. I have the feeling that it's a very simple thing to do: solder one wire to the pot knob and the wire that come from the pickup to the volume knob

Oh I thought this was an expensive Gibson. 

Carry on.

19 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

My question is: Where would the ground go? There is no metal on the bridge on the 160.

I guess you would have to tap the ground off the jack’s ground. So how are are the other acoustic/ electric’s doing it then?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I believe there should be a metal strip with double sided tape attached to the bridge plate that has holes that match the bridge pin holes.

Solder the ground wire to it and the ball of the strings should be making contact with the strip which will ground the strings.

Acoustic Guitar Bridge Pin Hole Slot Repair Plate Hardware Guitar Replace 7445047384387 | eBay

s-l1600.png

Edited by Dave F
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I believe there should be a metal strip with double sided tape attached to the bridge plate that has holes that match the bridge pin holes.

Solder the ground wire to it and the ball of the strings should be making contact with the strip which will ground the strings.

Acoustic Guitar Bridge Pin Hole Slot Repair Plate Hardware Guitar Replace 7445047384387 | eBay

That would do it. Thanks.

19 hours ago, gearbasher said:

My question is: Where would the ground go? There is no metal on the bridge on the 160.

This may sound bizarre but the ground it was "attached" to the ball of the first string. I found it when I get rid of the strings... It is normal? 😕

54 minutes ago, alfonso89 said:

This may sound bizarre but the ground it was "attached" to the ball of the first string. I found it when I get rid of the strings... It is normal? 😕

I don't know what's normal, but I would prefer all of the  strings be grounded.

You might find these youtube videos interesting.

Edited by gearbasher