Gibson Brands Forums

Where can i buy the 22uf 400v HF orange drop capacitors that Gibson puts in the Les Paul standard 1950's models?

MAP448

They're 0.022 uf capacitors, 400 volt, 716 series.  That's what's in my LP 60's.  They also use a 100 volt, 716 series.  I didn't know there was such a thing until I looked at my SG.

I like the 100 volt, 225 series.  100 volts is plenty of capacity.

400v 716 series - https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/capacitor-400v-716p-series-polypropylene

100v 225 series - https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/capacitor-orange-drop-100v-polyester

Edited by badbluesplayer
  • Like 2

If there is 400 volts inside your guitar something has gone seriously wrong. 100 volts too. 

The caps in your guitar are used as a filter. I had a lot of this knowledge shoved in my head with I was going through electrical and electronics schools.

Here is a blurb from Stew Mac's website:

Capacitors, or "caps," are simple electronic components that are typically used in guitar electronics as filters or barriers for certain frequencies. High frequencies will pass through a cap, while lower frequencies are blocked. The value of the capacitor will determine the frequencies that pass.

Also when power is applied to a cap it will charge up to the applied voltage, and then if given a path it will discharge. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

Inductors are used as filters too. Most people know inductors as coils in relays, transformers, and other devices. The most common use in guitars is the 6 position Varitone Switch Gibson has on the BB King and ES-345's and 355's had them. Maybe some other models too.