Gibson Brands Forums

2012 SJ-200 Standard Owner's Manual?

Mrmajstyk

I've owned my 2012 SJ-200 Standard for about 5 years now.  Bought it ever-so-slightly, barely used.

Beautiful guitar with the deep ebony finish.  It has the factory-installed Fishman Elipse Aura system in it, which sounds fine with some finese.

It came with the case, but no "case candy", and certainly no owner's manual. 

Just wondering, I'm sure it came with some sort of standard Gibson manual, but did it have any kind of manual to cover all the stuff the Fishman Elipse Aura does?

And is there any way I can find whatever 'case candy' came with the guitar from the factory?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1214.jpg

Thanks Dave. I've been to the Fishman site, and, yes,  it has instructions for use and installation, but its geared towards someone buying the Fishman unit and installing it in any guitar...and one of the things it says is to download 4  images from their site into the Elipse Aura and then adjust the settings, trim, etc.  I was just wondering if Gibson pre-loaded images into the the thing while at the factory and made the trim settings, etc, or if they included a manual with instructions for the first owner to do so. 

I can understand the previous century, but we boomers ought to remember the aughts.   Use to be a tired joke - 50+ years ago,  people would feign an old fart voice and say  "I remember, back in 'aught-two'  we got so much snow....   etc.".

As far as 'case candy' from 11 years ago.  It's anyone's guess.  They change it regularly.  I got a leather key fob pick holder, but no truss rod wrench about 7 years ago.  Nothing for the pickup.  Never heard of any 'instruction manuals' for the guitar or the Electronics On Board.  But, like Murph, I don't remember what I don't remember. 

Some of the early Fishman’s had no controls or Tuner.. You dialed in your Amp.. Most of the early Acoustic Electronics you have to play with them & figure it out.. 

A friend of mine picked a Used J-200 without Electronics & had a new L.R. Baggs Anthem System installed.. You could consider doing something like that.. They are great Systems..

As for Case Candy, contact the Seller.. Or go online & download a Gibson Owners Manual.. 

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

Some of the early Fishman’s had no controls or Tuner.. You dialed in your Amp.. Most of the early Acoustic Electronics you have to play with them & figure it out.. 

A friend of mine picked a Used J-200 without Electronics & had a new L.R. Baggs Anthem System installed.. You could consider doing something like that.. They are great Systems..

As for Case Candy, contact the Seller.. Or go online & download a Gibson Owners Manual.. 

I called Gibson the other day, mentioning I didn’t have the manual that was described coming with my new  j 45 studio.  The fellow said they don’t post the manuals to help thwart fakers.  I just realized we got sidetracked and forgot to follow up on if he could send me one! Forget the 60s, 70’s, 80s, 90s, aughts, and teens, I apparently can’t remember what I’m doing five minutes into a phone call! 🤪

Edited by PrairieDog

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

I called Gibson the other day, mentioning I didn’t have the manual that was described coming with my new  j 45 studio.  The fellow said they don’t post the manuals to help thwart fakers.  I just realized we got sidetracked and forgot to follow up on if he could send me one! Forget the 60s, 70’s, 80s, 90s, aughts, and teens, I apparently can’t remember what I’m doing five minutes into a phone call! 🤪

Right.. Gibson doesn’t.. But, there are Owners Manuals websites that do for just about everything..

If Case Candy is important you should buy a Guitar that includes it.. 

One kind of manual do you need with a guitar?  Last time I looked no assembly required.  The only instruments I felt needed one were some of those late-1960s and early-1970s MIJ electrics which could have a row of switches.  Last one I owned was a Kingston and I never did figure out what one or two to those things did.

5 hours ago, Murph said:

I don't remember any Fishman manuals, but then again, I don't remember parts of the 70's.

And parts of the 80's.

And parts of the 90's.

And the early Aughts.

Up to about five years ago when I started not being able to recall what I did the day before, the only years I am really hazy about were the mid-1960s into the early-1970s.   Figure it was a combination of it being a long time ago and the practicing of better living through chemistry.  I bet I had a great time.  If nothing else, seeing Albert King, Tim Buckley, the Butterfield Blues Band, Airplane, Janis, and such must have been great.  Just wish I could remember it.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

It's not that I need info about the guitar itself (LOVE my SJ-200), and I know the Fishman Aura products pretty well by now.

I have the Fishman Aura Spectrum imaging D.I. box, which the Elipse Aura pickup system in the guitar is based on.  I was just curious if Gibson pre-loaded  images in the Sound Image presets, or if they were leaving up to the buyer to do so.

EDIT:  Oh, and it says on the Fishman site..."Welcome Thank you for making Fishman a part of your acoustic experience. We are proud to offer you the finest acoustic amplification products available; high-quality professional-grade tools to empower you to sound your very best. We are confident Ellipse Aura will both enhance and inspire your music making. Please note that the Aura Image Gallery features described in this User Guide do not apply to factory-installed OEM product."

So, there's that!

All the other pickup systems (L.R. Baggs, other Fisman units, etc) that came installed by Gibson, are pretty straight-forward and intuitive, and don't have any sort of imaging software built-in.  But this particular system that Gibson chose to install in their guitars in 2012 (and I assume maybe other years too) is pretty complex, so I wondered if Gibson included some sort of instruction manual regarding the system when the guitar was new, and if they said which images they pre-loaded, if any.  Here's a pic of the unit that is in the soundhole, in case you're curious.

AuraEllipseW-large.jpg.auto.webp

Edited by Mrmajstyk

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

“If Case Candy is important you should buy a Guitar that includes it..”

Not sure what you mean? As I said,  I did buy the Studio new, from GC, an authorized dealer.  I don’t think of the basic care and feeding guide and warranty info as “candy.”  There was a little inspection swing tag that mentions the warranty but refers you to the actual paper.  I went back and asked at the store if they had those, and the dude checked (he was going to “borrow” one from another they had in stock if he needed to) but he found none had manuals or warranties.  Eyebrow?

The guitar came with a whole lot of stuff, much of which  I didn’t know what to do with, like the truss wrench, a D’darrio humidifier pack, the keychain (okay, figured that one out), a polishing cloth (hey, turns out those can be tricky! I didn’t know you shouldn’t wipe your strings with it, ‘cause it picks up tiny metal bits that then will scratch your finish? Learned that from a Gibson video), a strap button, (but how do I install it?)  

If you are newbie to real acoustics, like me, there are other important bits of detail that would be good  to know, like don’t store your Nitro finished guitar on the cheapo $15.00 GC stand.  (Thank goodness  I learned about that before it became an issue.) Or how often should I change strings? Great it has electronics on board, but how do they work, is there any concerns about cords or amps to plug in with? And just when should I be concerned something isn’t right, or what’s normal when breaking in a new instrument?    My wood coffee table came with more instructions.

I guess it feels odd that I’m wandering around  the back parking lot of YouTubeU looking to rando folks for more or less reliable tips to help keep my gee-tar in top shape. 

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mrmajstyk said:

It's not that I need info about the guitar itself (LOVE my SJ-200), and I know the Fishman Aura products pretty well by now.

I have the Fishman Aura Spectrum imaging D.I. box, which the Elipse Aura pickup system in the guitar is based on.  I was just curious if Gibson pre-loaded  images in the Sound Image presets, or if they were leaving up to the buyer to do so.

EDIT:  Oh, and it says on the Fishman site..."Welcome Thank you for making Fishman a part of your acoustic experience. We are proud to offer you the finest acoustic amplification products available; high-quality professional-grade tools to empower you to sound your very best. We are confident Ellipse Aura will both enhance and inspire your music making. Please note that the Aura Image Gallery features described in this User Guide do not apply to factory-installed OEM product."

So, there's that!

All the other pickup systems (L.R. Baggs, other Fisman units, etc) that came installed by Gibson, are pretty straight-forward and intuitive, and don't have any sort of imaging software built-in.  But this particular system that Gibson chose to install in their guitars in 2012 (and I assume maybe other years too) is pretty complex, so I wondered if Gibson included some sort of instruction manual regarding the system when the guitar was new, and if they said which images they pre-loaded, if any.  Here's a pic of the unit that is in the soundhole, in case you're curious.

AuraEllipseW-large.jpg.auto.webp

I remember not liking those as there was just too much to deal with that you can’t see..

10 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Not sure what you mean? As I said,  I did buy the Studio new, from GC, an authorized dealer.  I don’t think of the basic care and feeding guide and warranty info as “candy.”  There was a little inspection swing tag that mentions the warranty but refers you to the actual paper.  I went back and asked at the store if they had those, and the dude checked (he was going to “borrow” one from another they had in stock if he needed to) but he found none had manuals or warranties.  Eyebrow?

The guitar came with a whole lot of stuff, much of which  I didn’t know what to do with, like the truss wrench, a D’darrio humidifier pack, the keychain (okay, figured that one out), a polishing cloth (hey, turns out those can be tricky! I didn’t know you shouldn’t wipe your strings with it, ‘cause it picks up tiny metal bits that then will scratch your finish? Learned that from a Gibson video), a strap button, (but how do I install it?)  

If you are newbie to real acoustics, like me, there are other important bits of detail that would be good  to know, like don’t store your Nitro finished guitar on the cheapo $15.00 GC stand.  (Thank goodness  I learned about that before it became an issue.) Or how often should I change strings? Great it has electronics on board, but how do they work, is there any concerns about cords or amps to plug in with? And just when should I be concerned something isn’t right, or what’s normal when breaking in a new instrument?    My wood coffee table came with more instructions.

I guess it feels odd that I’m wandering around  the back parking lot of YouTubeU looking to rando folks for more or less reliable tips to help keep my gee-tar in top shape. 

Good luck getting the Warranty & Factory Paperwork if it wasn’t included. I’d question it actually being new if it didn’t come with the Guitar. But, I’m more picky than most of the guys here.. If it’s still within the New Purchase Return/Exchange period I’d return it for one that has everything.. 

Edited by Larsongs

Just received an email from Jon at  Gibson Customer Service, and it appears he had a copy of the "Fishman  Elipse Aura User Guide For Factory Installed Systems" that was included with the guitar at purchese, and he took it apart and emailed every page to me. Nice! 

Just in case anyone is interested, or for someone, someday that buys a used Gibson from this era and needs the info.

The instructions DO differ slightly from what's on the Fishman site, primarily regarding the 4 Sound Image presets. They are pre-set at the factory for your particular guitar model,  and you can't change them.  Here's what they selected for the Gibson J200:

1. Schoeps SCMC 64g,   2. DPA 4011,   3. Shure SM-57,  and  4. Neuman U87  (All pretty expensive mics, except for the Shure!)  I'm still looking, but I couldn't find any more info on mic placement, etc, that they used for the imaging. 

I also took the time to really dig into the system and set it up according to the manual. What a difference!

Previously, I had the guitar blend set to pickup only, made all my amp settings, then tried to dial in the image. The more image I dialed in, the less I liked it!

But now, as per the manual, I start with full image, make the settings on the amp, then dial in the pickup (and when I found the sweet spot, did a little fine-tuning on the amp) and it really started sounding great! I'm still experimenting with the different images, and the volume and feedback eliminator switch, and other settings, but I have gone from wanting to replace this system to wanting to keep it intact and enjoying it!

Yes, it IS a little over-complicated, and at first it's hard to go to the exact control switch you want without looking, but you do get it eventually (muscle memory?).  After playing with it for awhile I was making quick fine-tuning adjustments.

This system isn't for everybody, especially the 'I-just-wanna-plug-in-and-play-and-not fiddle-with-a-buncha-knobs' types...of which I am one! BUT, in live performances with my band, no matter WHAT system I have on my guitars (K&K Pure Mini with the Pure Preamp on 3 of my Guild  Jumbos, and the L.R. Baggs Anthem on the other Guild Jumbo...and running them thru my Fishman Aura Spectrum D.I.),  I still have to fiddle with settings, especially regarding optimal tone and volume vs feedback.   (The same goes for my amp, it requires a bit of experimentation and really digging into everything it can do, and then fine-tuning and saving the settings, but its well-worth the time spent! And I only need one amp for both acoustic and electric and don't need a pedal board!)

So, yeah, for now, its a keeper! 🙂

• Thanks 2

Electronics aside, I don't remember ever hearing of a 'standard Gibson User's Manual' coming with their acoustics.   I'd be surprised if one existed.   Wonder if I can call Gibson for the case candy that didn't come with my used SJ200?   Or for the Cali-Girl case that GC swapped out for a TKL on my used H'Bird TV ?  

On 8/29/2023 at 12:24 AM, Larsongs said:

Good luck getting the Warranty & Factory Paperwork if it wasn’t included. I’d question it actually being new if it didn’t come with the Guitar. But, I’m more picky than most of the guys here.. If it’s still within the New Purchase Return/Exchange period I’d return it for one that has everything.. 

Naw, that ship sailed before I even knew it should have been there.  However, since all the stuff I mentioned was still factory sealed, I doubt it had been sold before. And why would someone give back everything, including a D’darrio humidipak, but keep the paperwork for a guitar they don’t have?  I doubt here in flyover land we’re a hub of Gibson guitar fakers who needed it for pumping their product cred, chuckle.  More telling is there was no paper in any of the cases he checked.   Seems more likely there is something going on in the GC chain, or a shipment missed the on-boarding at Gibson. 

Edited by PrairieDog

On 8/28/2023 at 11:48 AM, PrairieDog said:

You could’ve got the manual here too.. https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Ellipse-Aura-User-Guide.pdf

Enjoy your Guitar!

Edited by Larsongs

As I said before, Gibson told me there actually WAS a Fishman manual that came from the factory with my guitar when it was new, and it differs slightly from the manual that is posted on Fishman's site.  If you look at the link Larsongs posted, you'll see the cover page of the manual says "RETAIL".   It's there for those who purchase the Ellipse Aura system and want to install it into any guitar. You'll see on Page 2  it states:

"Welcome Thank you for making Fishman a part of your acoustic experience. We are proud to offer you the finest acoustic amplification products available; high-quality professional-grade tools to empower you to sound your very best. We are confident Ellipse Aura will both enhance and inspire your music making. Please note that the Aura Image Gallery features described in this User Guide do not apply to factory-installed OEM product."

With the stand-alone retail purchase of the Elipse Aura, you also get the software to enable you to go online to the Fishman site and download into your guitar 4 images from their vast library and save them to your guitar in the 4 slots on the Ellipse.  And later, should you change you mind or feel like experimenting, you can replace any or all of those images with new ones.

The Fishman manual that came from Gibson with the purchase of the new guitar is different as you'll see in the pic I'll post. It says, in small print on the cover page "(for factory installed systems)'.  It is pre-loaded with 4 images that they deemed appropriate for your model of guitar, and as far as I know, cannot be changed. Gibson did tell me which ones were loaded for the J200, and I assume if you write to Gibson, they will tell you what's pre-loaded into YOUR model of guitar as well.

Its a slight difference from the manual that is posted on their site, but seeing as how the images are the heart-and-soul of the Ellipse Aura system, it's a rather significant difference!

IMG_6878.jpg