Gibson Brands Forums

Oh boy can't wait...

jgwoods

i have an L-00 and i absolutely love it...the guard on that is gorgeous...i was in a very prominent acoustic shop here in ct a couple of months ago and they had this gorgeous little L-00 (i dont even know how old it was but it was certainly a keeper)

they wanted like $3500 for it and to be honest it was worth much more...but ultimately i did some craigslist searching...not like the craigslist killer...but for guitars...and came across a beauty from '01 that i stole for around a grand!

it sounds great...plays great...and with the $$ i saved i bought an interface...acoustic foam...a mic and stand...and still have loot left over!

but i will tell you this...part of me still wishes i bought that little guy from the shop that day!

good luck with it, shes a beauty!

It's a custom shop thing- 30s L-00 imitation you might say- Gibson has been so all over the map on specs, and i am no Gibson expert, but this is what I know

Woods- sitka top, mahogany back and sides

single bound

x braced- scalloped braces

4 1/8 body depth

short scale

They didn't say it was hide glue- I asked, but I am not really concerned.

Price was pretty good- not custom shop fancy pricing, more like a good deal on a True Vintage model- a few hundred more than I really wanted to spend, but I figure it's probably got it in resale if I have to let it go.

Wow, that's cool.

I was at the Dallas Guitar Show last weekend, and Fullers had HUNDREDS of Gibson acoustics and electrics (plus hundreds of more Taylors, Martins, Gretchs, Fenders, etc.). They have a tremendous inventory, including some very unique and exclusive models. Yours looks great. Enjoy!

Red 333

The L-OO arrived Tuesday at my workplace, and wouldn't you know it I took my motorcycle to work on the 90 degree day here in MA, so I left it in my office for the night and brought it home Weds.

It is everything I hoped it would be- light as a feather, no flaws, good tone and good volume- especially good for such a small box. It has an old sound and I think it's really going to grow on me.

As always happens the first things you notice are how it contrasts with what you already own- and it is definitely different than my J185 and Martin OM-21 Special- that's a good thing. I am not looking for them to compete, rather to compliment each other. This one will definitely get the call for fingerpickng stuff and couch time playing. It flatpicks just fine too.

The only problem I have with it is the nut- string spacing- it is 1.43 across the 6 strings on a 1.75" nut width- so the 6th string is way inboard and I can't wrap my thumb to get that F bass note. I measured it and my J185. The J185 has the same neck/nut width but the 1-6 string spacing is over 1.5" - it may not seem like much but I can easily wrap around for the bass string on the J185. As a result I took it to Bill Whitsett- authorized Gibson, Guild, Martin, Fender guy and he is going to make a new nut so it matches my J185- making for easy switching between them. It'll cost me a few bucks but will make a darn near perfect little guitar. Definitely a keeper.

Glad you're happy JG! Great looking guitar. I am super keen on those 00s. I am currently touring with a friend of mine who plays a Legend L-00 and it's immense. I can't put it down, even with it's speedboat-sized V-neck!

Archived