Gibson Brands Forums

New Musician

Silenced Fred

I am a fairly new guitarist with about just over a year under my belt, I am a beginner and would not try to pose to be anything but. I was wondering what you guys would recommend I do to get better. I am currently a junior in high school and am taking classes thru the school. My teacher is Jeff Kust if anyone knows him he was touring before playing classical guitar and is exceptionally good. I was just wondering if there were any recommendations on stuff to work on to make myself better. Thanks

I am a fairly new guitarist with about just over a year under my belt' date=' I am a beginner and would not try to pose to be anything but. I was wondering what you guys would recommend I do to get better. I am currently a junior in high school and am taking classes thru the school. My teacher is Jeff Kust if anyone knows him he was touring before playing classical guitar and is exceptionally good. I was just wondering if there were any recommendations on stuff to work on to make myself better. Thanks[/quote']

Keep taking the classes. And have some fun.

he is 52 and he was a professional musician toured all around the world playing classical. He is probably one of the coolest people i know, but he said he wants this to be about us. but i was wondering if people had suggestions for songs that i might not have heard and may like sorry for the very open ended question

Oh well, sounds like he can't be bought with some Mott the Hoople or Santana.

ZZ Top

Iron Maiden

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Jimi Hendrix

Buddy Holly

Chuck Berry

Kansas

Rush

Jethro Tull

Check out any of their greatest hits and you'll find something you'll like.

thanks i was thinking maybe something from srv he is definately one of my favorite musicians

That's great! Don't be tempted into looking at tabs. Listen to the music with your ear and try to figure it yourself first. Learning an instrument properly is a marathon, not a sprint. Enjoy and have fun...

thanks for the advice. I first got a guitar when i was in 7th grade and like just when i started practicing i got really sick for like a month and a half. I just picked it back up about a year and a half ago and yeah i started looking up tabs at first, but it really helps to listen to the songs and to hear the differences.

Enjoy it.

Play, then play some more. Then practice a bit, and then play. Keep playing, then play some more.

Sleep.

Eat.

Play, then play some more. Then practice a bit, and then play. Keep playing, then play some more.

Repeat until good enough to really enjoy it.

Archived