Gibson Brands Forums

Strange marks suddenly appearing on my '68 Dove pick guard.

bexpet

Over the last few months, I've noticed a strange phenomenon happening on my 1968 Dove that worries me.  It's always been stored in its original hard case and is humidified in winter. When I first noticed it, I thought it was just a dull scuff kind of thing. I polished the area and thought that was the end of it. Then today, while doing my weekly refill of the humidifying device, I noticed it was worse. Do I need to remove the pickguard to spare the guitar? Looking for advice. Thanks.

On 11/11/2023 at 5:21 PM, bexpet said:

Over the last few months, I've noticed a strange phenomenon happening on my 1968 Dove that worries me.  It's always been stored in its original hard case and is humidified in winter. When I first noticed it, I thought it was just a dull scuff kind of thing. I polished the area and thought that was the end of it. Then today, while doing my weekly refill of the humidifying device, I noticed it was worse. Do I need to remove the pickguard to spare the guitar? Looking for advice. Thanks.

Could your pickguard be gassing?

I would stop the humidifying for a month or 2 as it might be moisture-related.

If you can post pics and repost this thread (or a new one like it)  in the acoustic section you should get some knowledgeable answers.

Best wishes.

[cool]

Edited by jdgm

10 hours ago, Pinch said:

Long-shot: pickguard plastic that was never removed? 

I went snowmobiling with a guy that kept complaining that his helmet's new visor won't clean. I looked and it and it still had the protective plastic on! He rode it for 2 days like that.

10 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I went snowmobiling with a guy that kept complaining that his helmet's new visor won't clean. I looked and it and it still had the protective plastic on! He rode it for 2 days like that.

And once the bones heal, he'll ride again!