Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge cracks along pin line

egoidealmusic

So, I just noticed that there are a couple a very fine cracks on the bridge of my J-45 between a few of the pins--the most noticeable between the A and the D pins.  While the humidity in this area is generally very high (I'm in Georgia just above the Florida line) I put her back in the case with a humidifier.  Seems like it's closed up a good amount but obviously I'm concerned (she's only about 2 1/2 years old).  Reading elsewhere it seems that lots of folks suggest water thin CA glue is the best fix as it doesn't seem massive and all the way through the bridge, but I'm curious as to your sage thoughts.  No authorized Gibson repair shop anywhere near me, so I'd have to send it to Gibson if I had to.

17 hours ago, egoidealmusic said:

So, I just noticed that there are a couple a very fine cracks on the bridge of my J-45 between a few of the pins--the most noticeable between the A and the D pins.  While the humidity in this area is generally very high (I'm in Georgia just above the Florida line) I put her back in the case with a humidifier.  Seems like it's closed up a good amount but obviously I'm concerned (she's only about 2 1/2 years old).  Reading elsewhere it seems that lots of folks suggest water thin CA glue is the best fix as it doesn't seem massive and all the way through the bridge, but I'm curious as to your sage thoughts.  No authorized Gibson repair shop anywhere near me, so I'd have to send it to Gibson if I had to.

Is it cracked fully between where the A and D string pins go?

I'm sure you've done this already - but there are good YouTube videos on the best way to seal and bond hairline wood cracks with SuperGlue.  I'd  make sure the crack was reasonably wide before inserting glue so it could get down there.  Not to quibble, but I'd  not put lemon oil in there before the glue.  And I'd only sprinkle very fine dark wood dust on top when your done, not mix it in with the glue going down into the crack.  And, I'd double check when I do string changes that the ball of the string is properly seated.  And the holes in the bridge plate aren't chewed up or too large. Certainly shouldn't be in a 2 year old guitar.   Sorry to hear this -  the good news is you caught it in time !   G'Luck !!

Thanks for the input, folks.  The pins are the exact size as those it originally came with, so that's not causing it.  I do use a little lemon oil each time when I change strings--about every 3 months.  I have watched a number videos and am comfortable working on my guitars.  Am planning on doing this tomorrow and will update.

So after a week in the case wtih the humidy packs the crack has closed up.  There was still a slightly visible line but totally closed.  I gave it a couple of coats of the water thin CA glue along the crack lines, let it dry then sanded down with 1200 grit paper.  Gave it some lemon oil and it's looking great.  Letting any glue that might have seeped in (very little seemed to though) cure for a day before I string her up.  Thanks again for the advice!