Gibson Brands Forums

Faber Bridge & Tailpiece for Newer USA Gibsons

badbluesplayer

I upgraded the bridge and tailpiece on my '22 LP Std. 60's to a Faber "Tone Lock" set with an aluminum tailpiece, in aged nickel.  It turned out fine.  Faber stuff is really nice.

Here's the original modern ABR style bridge and tailpiece.  Newer USA guitars have Nashville style bridge anchors and they're adapted to the ABR bridge.  The bridge and tailpiece both rock a little -

IaNosuD.jpg

Faber hardware kit, including tools -

TfRRvSm.jpg

Old hardware removed -

9WhF11A.jpg

Removing old bridge post anchors -

1jgmDqn.jpg

Anchors removed -

XX9WLus.jpg

Setting the new post/anchors -

wPgogjB.jpg

New one-piece anchor/posts installed.  These posts are 8-32 threaded, just like normal ABR posts, so you can use the old bridge or any other ABR bridge -

IRCjiKt.jpg

New bridge and tailpiece installed -

fOAV0Et.jpg

Nice!  Action is still maybe a little high.  The bridge and tailpiece lock really solid.  I like the Faber stuff better than Tonepros.  The tailpiece has different sized spacers that go under the tailpiece so you can get the right break angle over the bridge and still have the whole thing locked solid to the body.  The bridge is way more solid than the old hardware, and the guitar sounds a little different.  I'll probably notch the saddles a little more.

0k89YME.jpg

Edited by badbluesplayer
  • Thanks 1

I use Faber® iNsert™ studs, they are 6/32" upper threaded posts, ready for a  Gibson ABR-1 bridge or Faber® Historic bridge.

Faber studs are firmly inserted into the body, the threaded rods and the guitar make only one, same result than a Gibson with a stock ABR-1. More sustain, good vibrations, an awesome upgrade.

gibso137.jpg

gibso138.jpg

3 hours ago, Strong Heavy said:

I don' t think, did you visit Faber USA ?   https://faberusa.com/product-category/faber-bridges/

Thanks for the link.

It appears they do not make them.
But many are available, even on Amazon.

I'll have to think on it.
I don't have a Bigsby on any of them, so maybe a roller nut isn't really going to be a value-added installation.

😐

13 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Thanks for the link.

It appears they do not make them.
But many are available, even on Amazon.

I'll have to think on it.
I don't have a Bigsby on any of them, so maybe a roller nut isn't really going to be a value-added installation.

😐

If your Gibson have a stopbar a roller bridge is not an upgrade, prefer FABER INSert  Studs + ABR-1 bridge, this setup give the same results than real ABR-1 bridge screwed into the body.

2 hours ago, Strong Heavy said:

If your Gibson have a stopbar a roller bridge is not an upgrade, prefer FABER INSert  Studs + ABR-1 bridge, this setup give the same results than real ABR-1 bridge screwed into the body.

I just have it in my head that rollers (at the nut and at the bridge) would make things utterly friction-free, and therefore minimize wear and tear on the strings.

I'm not going for any change or improvement in tone, to be clear.

My Strat Plus has the roller nut.
(As rarely as I use the trem on that Strat, it's a nice feature when I do.)
As ugly as it is, I really like it.

cG7AP8B.jpg

It's all just brainstorming, I guess.
I have never once in my life broken a string while playing, so I really ought to let it go.

🙂

On 11/22/2023 at 11:48 AM, Strong Heavy said:

I use Faber® iNsert™ studs, they are 6/32" upper threaded posts, ready for a  Gibson ABR-1 bridge or Faber® Historic bridge.

Faber studs are firmly inserted into the body, the threaded rods and the guitar make only one, same result than a Gibson with a stock ABR-1. More sustain, good vibrations, an awesome upgrade.

gibso137.jpg

Yup.  Those are the anchors included in the kit.  6-32 threads, not 8-32 like I said.  They're the best part of the whole thing.  This is the third guitar I've used those studs on.  They really make the guitar sing.

On 11/20/2023 at 3:56 PM, Farnsbarns said:

Interesting, so there's an extra ferrule that screws down the bridge mount stud until it's locked? 

That's quite clever. 

Yes.  The thumbwheel is right under the bridge, like usual, but the ferrule screws right into the top of the bridge, nice and snug.  Some oomph was required on this guitar, 'cause the posts were a hair too far apart.  Worked out fine though.  These studs will accept any ABR type bridge.  I have a Tonepros bridge on my SG with the same studs.  I don't like the Tonepros as much, because it uses set screws to fix the bridge, and they bear against the threaded posts, which isn't really that great of a design.

On my Tanlucent Ebony SG I made an assembly with those parts ,  they are glued at the the right height with LOCTITE 648 High Strength, Retaining Compound.

LOCTITE 648 Specifications :  https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/ar/en/product/retaining-compounds/loctite_6480.html#Features and Benefits0

The black anchors are large enough  to be firmly inserted into the body.

sg_st259.jpg

The result is very discret, perfect !

sg_st260.jpg

Edited by Strong Heavy

20 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

Yes.  The thumbwheel is right under the bridge, like usual, but the ferrule screws right into the top of the bridge, nice and snug.  Some oomph was required on this guitar, 'cause the posts were a hair too far apart.  Worked out fine though.  These studs will accept any ABR type bridge.  I have a Tonepros bridge on my SG with the same studs.  I don't like the Tonepros as much, because it uses set screws to fix the bridge, and they bear against the threaded posts, which isn't really that great of a design.

Grub screws set against the threads have always struck me as totally sh1te engineering. Not nly destroying the threads but also, a tiny point of contact probably not making for a truly solid connection. This is a much nicer solution. 

Edited by Farnsbarns