Gibson Brands Forums

Whats the favorite stompbox for a les paul ?

tom brown

Nothing wrong with having bought that Line 6 as your starter amp ... don't pay attention to the criticism, as it's a fine amp to get started with. Now that you've been playing a bit, you've started to pay closer attention to tone - and probably noticed that the Line 6 no longer cuts it.

Take the advice to put your money toward a new amp. Depending on your budget, I'm sure you can get a number of great suggestions to start your search with. At this point, tone is going to increase in importance to you, so it's best that you try and stretch it as high as your financial ceiling will go, as you'll likely want grow with it. I think you're about at the point where you are gigging, right? Or pretty close to? Well, start looking into a tube amp.

As for a new speaker for your Line 6, it's just throwing good money at bad. I'd say the same is true about purchasing a pedal to toss in front of it. There are enough options on there to get you by until you pick up a new amp - at which point you may very well want a pedal to match the new amp (for example if you got a Fender amp and wanted additional dirt). So yeah, save the pedal talk for your new amp.

To me' date=' you can't take everyones opinion. I've played with lots of different amps, lots of different speakers, wattage, settings, effects pedals. The whole deal. It's all about what you like, but if you can get your hands on an original Ibanez distortion pedal (can't remember the name) those can give you a really nice sound. Your line 6 has lot's of effects and **** on it already... that was your brilliant decision to buy that[/quote']

I agree even thou now for about the last ten years I play straight thru my Amp. A long, long time ago I had a Super Fuzz and man I do kinda miss it. Don't know if it was just the times back then, ya know a lot of Smoke went around that may have of hazed my Memory of how good it really was. If I remember correctly they were nice and a lot of good sounds could be had thru one of those, and they go for alot know.

1969-2_amps4.jpg

I agree even thou now for about the last ten years I play straight thru my Amp. A long' date=' long time ago I had a Super Fuzz and man I do kinda miss it. Don't know if it was just the times back then, ya know a lot of Smoke went around that may have of hazed my Memory of how good it really was. If I remember correctly they were nice and a lot of good sounds could be had thru one of those, and they go for alot know.

[img']i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb227/cudamax2343/1969-2_amps4.jpg[/img]

I have a Univox Super Fuzz and it's a good pedal - not something I use for my meat and potatoes sound, but still cool for some stuff when I want that octave thing.

Second row, third from the left:

pedalssm.jpg

hello all' date='

I have a les paul VM with a 30 watt line 6 amp, a [b']vox wah wah[/b], and a boss ds1......

I don't have money for a new amp right now, but was wondering is there any device that would give me clear, creamy distorion and substain while still having the cutting power of the L.P.?

=P~

=D>

If you could sell all that other stuff (line 6, wah pedal, and ds1) you might have a start. GC will give you a finance deal that has no payments for a year. Then you could get a Fender Twin Reverb RI or something smaller. Can't get any cleaner than a twin reverb. It does have a switch for the reverb and vibrato if you need to stomp something. Later you could add watever fx pedals you want. Go all tube and you be super clean you can get dirty later when you have more money.:-

If you could sell all that other stuff (line 6' date=' wah pedal, and ds1) you might have a start. GC will give you a finance deal that has no payments for a year. Then you could get a Fender Twin Reverb RI or something smaller. Can't get any cleaner than a twin reverb. It does have a switch for the reverb and vibrato if you need to stomp something. Later you could add watever fx pedals you want. Go all tube and you be super clean you can get dirty later when you have more money.:- [/quote']

The problem is that unless he's going to be playing fairly large shows, he doesn't need to buy a 2x12 85 watt all tube amp, because he'll never turn it up past 2. Apart from that, I'm not sure how well the Twin Reverb would be for metal and hard rock, so he'd essentially be dropping 1.6k on an amp that he won't be able to get full use out of, and won't provide him with the tones he really wants for the genres he plays. Honestly, if he's really into metal and if he doesn't play big shows, he would probably be better off getting a decent solid state or even digital modeling amp. It'll be cheaper and he'll probably get more satisfaction out of it.

Archived