Gibson Brands Forums

My Gibson AJ 12 fret Custom with contrabass, violin and vocals

Old Neil

It's been a while but I've been busy getting an album release happening amongst other things. This track from it is the most "unplugged" of the lot in that it just features my beloved AJ and a contrabass (double bass played with a bow) and some lovely violin work. I wrote it, sang the lead vocal (obviously not the female backing vocals though...) and played the AJ (well, that part is obvious as that's why we come to this forum...) and put in a few subtle synth parts at the end but it is mainly an all acoustic instrument song. It's good to have something to post here about.

Edited by Old Neil
new file attachment

Thanks Murph,

An interesting piece of trivia was, that although most of the album was recorded in a friend's studio, the AJ was recorded in my office at home just using a medium distance positioned Shure Beta 57A cardioid mic. I have a condenser mic but didn't bother as this sounded fine. No special sound damping or room baffles needed. A little compression, EQ and reverb was added at the studio and that was it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 5:13 PM, Red 333 said:

Sounds wonderful, both the recording and the arrangement. 

Red 333

Thank you. It was great working with the other two musicians who just "got it" so quickly and can work in their interpretive playing in one or two takes. For my part I don't consider myself much of a player but love the songwriting process. I play and sing on my tracks because, well, someone has to show the other musicians how they are laid out(!) It is a particular pleasure to take songs out of my loungeroom and out in the wild as it were to meet what I would consider "real" musicians. Strangely, a lot of these same musicians don't necessarily write original material so it becomes a mutualy beneficial arrangement. That's more than fine by me.

Thanks, yes, it is a similar spec to the Roy Smeck (I have played that model in my local guitar shop): Adirondack top, 12 fret neck, IR back and sides. Body depth-wise, it seems the same as my J-45.

Edited by Old Neil