Gibson Brands Forums

Hey - that's my guitar!

'Scales

I realise this may be of no interest to anyone else, but I was looking through some old stuff and came across this screenshot from a website I found back when I bought my Epiphone on consignment from a collector via our local luthier. At the time I just bought it cos I thought it was great to play and the Epiphone mini-humbucker is superb, but I'd been trying to work out what it was, and got excited when I found this old advertisement for one that looked similar - "great!" I thought "this model actually exists". I blew up the image and found it was my exact guitar (every scratch and ding aligned [mellow]) - oh well, at least i paid a lot less for it.

The interesting thing is that the ad was from 2002 and this shop I believe is/was in New York City USA...I bought the guitar in country New South Wales, Australia in 2013. It is obviously well travelled and has never needed any work done (I changed the knobs, which someone else had changed to witch's hats by the time it got to me, to reflectors) and was my main guitar with a covers band for the next few years.

Small world! Anybody experience anything similar or interesting when researching their guitar?

No photo description available.

Edited by 'Scales
  • Like 3

yeah, I agree Dub - they are a nice simple design but have their own vibe and a 3 pickup version in Olympic white or Coronet in Silver Fox green would do me nicely! [thumbup]

On history - yes, they were built in Kalamazoo in 69 alongside their Gibson equivalents the SG (basically for most of the sixties as same range and price points for both brands/shapes but sold through different dealers - say like Chevrolet and Buick in the day.  As our luthier who is expert in guitar history tells it, each day the same guys would arrive at the factory and be told how many bodies to cut in SG and Epiphone shapes that day and then would build them up - same workers, same wood, same neck profiles, same hardware with exception of Epiphones getting their own mini-humbuckers (quite different to later Gibson mini's) rather than full-size Gibson humbuckers. So really just part of a two prong product lineup from Gibson USA. (In the 70's Epi went to Japan).