Gibson Brands Forums

R.I.P. Roni Stoneman...

Murph

The first lady of the banjo and the youngest daughter of "Pops" Stoneman, she was also the "ironing board lady" on Hee Haw.

The entire family were overdosed in talent, with Scotty being the mad fiddler and Donna, one of the great mandolin players, the last survivor.

Bluegrass royalty, indeed.

Hee Haw was one of those shows which provided background noise while I puttered around doing something else until the music came on.  Then your ears would prick up.

While this has nothing to do with anything, in the 1980s I struck up a friendship with a guy named Max Harrison.  At the time I was working on my "The Cowboy Hero" exhibit for the Oklahoma State Historical Society,  As Max had been an actor in a bunch of B-movie westerns and was living within a reasonable distance, I wanted to interview him while hoping he might have photos, posters or something I could borrow for the display.  Turned out Max not only an actor but a very well-respected comic book artist producing the graphics for, among others, the early Gene Autry comic books.  Max was also the one who drew the cartoon characters for Hee Haw.  So, not surprisingly he produced the artwork for the brochure I needed to put out.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

The first lady of the banjo and the youngest daughter of "Pops" Stoneman, she was also the "ironing board lady" on Hee Haw.

The entire family were overdosed in talent, with Scotty being the mad fiddler and Donna, one of the great mandolin players, the last survivor.

Bluegrass royalty, indeed.

Oh, this is sad..... Roni was a talented banjo picker....and a funny lady.

I used to catch Hee Haw from time to time when it was on TV.....but.... a few years ago, RFD-TV played all the episodes in order, so I got to see them all!

Jokes were corny, the music was fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Jokes were corny, the music was fantastic.

The live music stuff was great. Some of the best pickers of the day, and they filmed fast and would leave in mistakes and finger "slips".

Humility was alive and well, as was a sense of humor back in those days.

Everybody is twisted too tight nowadays....

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Murph said:

The live music stuff was great. Some of the best pickers of the day, and they filmed fast and would leave in mistakes and finger "slips".

Boy is  that right!    Music today is too "produced".....nothing better than a singer and guitar or singer and piano.

Some singers I didn't think much of until I heard them just 'play', e.g. Jackson Browne, Kid Rock or Pink.

And I could tell the difference in Buck Owens music once Don Rich was killed.   Never the same.

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

once Don Rich was killed. 

A sure case of the "right hand man" being the heavy hauler.

Buck needed a partner. Whether it was Don, or Roy, or even Dwight. He did best with a partner.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Murph said:

A sure case of the "right hand man" being the heavy hauler.

Buck needed a partner. Whether it was Don, or Roy, or even Dwight. He did best with a partner.

Many sidemen are underrated.... I always thought Maury Muehleisen was totally underrated, (Jim Croce) and of course, David Lindley, (Jackson Browne).

On 2/24/2024 at 9:07 AM, Murph said:

You want mistakes left in, just listen to any full live Grateful Dead concert. They flub lyrics, they flub notes,  but they’re The Dead. Love em or hate em.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You want mistakes left in, just listen to any full live Grateful Dead concert. They flub lyrics, they flub notes,  but they’re The Dead. Love em or hate em.

I always noticed that about them....I suspect if they were "polished" they'd be a different band!

I have a story about The Dead.  Years ago, I went to a party at a friend's house in San Jose.   There was a girl there who was visiting his next door neighbor.   After some "adult beverages" I asked her out on a date for the next night.    When I got there to pick her up, I found her to be UGLY!    I didn't want to be seen with her by anyone I knew, so instead of driving back to The East Bay where I hung out, we drove up the peninsula.   We passed a strip mall with a bar that had a sign outside that said "LIVE MUSIC".   So we went in there.   The Dead were playing there.... it must have been a tune-up for a tour or something....there were only like 10 people in the whole bar!   That's the night I noticed  Jerry Garcia was missing the middle finger on his right hand 'cause we sat like 10 feet from the stage.

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I always noticed that about them....I suspect if they were "polished" they'd be a different band!

I have a story about The Dead.  Years ago, I went to a party at a friend's house in San Jose.   There was a girl there who was visiting his next door neighbor.   After some "adult beverages" I asked her out on a date for the next night.    When I got there to pick her up, I found her to be UGLY!    I didn't want to be seen with her by anyone I knew, so instead of driving back to The East Bay where I hung out, we drove up the peninsula.   We passed a strip mall with a bar that had a sign outside that said "LIVE MUSIC".   So we went in there.   The Dead were playing there.... it must have been a tune-up for a tour or something....there were only like 10 people in the whole bar!   That's the night I noticed  Jerry Garcia was missing the middle finger on his right hand 'cause we sat like 10 feet from the stage.

He lost it chopping wood with his brother or father, can’t remember which one. I grew up in San Hole. That place makes me sick now. The last time I was back in the Bay Area, I did not recognize the place, it was nothing but a large Google, eBay, Adobe urban jungle.

Is the world famous Pink Poodle still open ?

By the time I started seeing to The Dead, Jerry was way beyond LSD and pot. He was now doing heroin and Coc. He was fat. He was bloated. He was playing like crap, a lot of the time. I did see a few really good shows tho. When the little pretty 16-year-old girl started coming around, and wanted to be seen at Grateful Dead shows,  and not wash and stink and smell like patchouli it was over.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Murph said:

Jerry did his best guitar work with David Grisman.

Lots of good work with Dawg, no doubt. Wake Of The Flood is Dead high art. Workingman’s Dead too. His first solo album is better than most Dead albums.

• Like 1