Gibson Brands Forums

J45 for finger picking?

I don't believe there is any legislation forbidding fingerpicking any model guitar. As with so many topics it's a personal preference.

I think we often get caught up in being at one with the herd.

• Upvote 2

I use a pick on a classical guitar and fingerpick my Telecaster. I guess I don’t pay much attention to what others do. 

“tradition” = dead people telling us what to do. 

5 hours ago, tpbiii said:

I did not make those 1000s of recordings and 10000s of high resolution photos to show them to you, but as part of a serious 45 year effort to study the properties of the sound pallet of the early 20th century.

Music -- at least my music -- is personal.   I know yours is too.  It is a wonderful obsession each of can enjoy in our own way.

Let's pick

Your archive is appreciated and makes perfectos sense here. It adds a special weight to the Board - just  like many other stores of insight knowledge wisdom behind these pages. 

Keep pickin'

• Like 1

I dunno. I think people are overthinking the issue, again. Any guitar can be played fingerstyle or fingerpicked or what have you. What if you only have one guitar? Are their styles you’re not supposed to play because it’s the “wrong” guitar? Not everybody is fortunate enough (or obsessed enough) to own scads of guitars. I own four guitars and most days I think that’s three guitars too many.

Edited by dhanners623
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

………. I own four guitars and most days I think that’s three guitars too many.

Comments like that could get you banned. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

Comments like that could get you banned. 

I live in fear of that….

But seriously, how many guitars does a person really  need? I think of all the blues greats who made lasting music that has inspired generations, and they didn’t have rooms full of high-end guitars.  They were lucky to get their hands on a Gibson and they made iconic music with Stellas and the like. Or other genres…. I wonder how many guitars Tony Rice actually owned. (I’m willing to bet he owned more Bulova Accutron watches than guitars….)

Yeah, I know people can do what they want with their money, but jeez, when is enough enough? I like a nice guitar as much as the next player, but justifying the expense gets harder to do. So if I get a guitar, it has to be versatile and be able to do a bit of everything. I can only play one at a time. And 99% of the audience doesn’t care if you’re playing a Banner Gibson or a pre-war Martin or a Takamine or, God forbid, a Taylor.

Edited by dhanners623

6 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

But seriously, how many guitars does a person really  need? I think of all the blues greats who made lasting music that has inspired generations, and they didn’t have rooms full of high-end guitars.  They were lucky to get their hands on a Gibson and they made iconic music with Stellas and the like.

Point taken - but opening that can is risky business as it leads to so many other themes in life. Where are the reasonable limits in this existence > how many ice-creams, how many things in the fridge, how many holidays and journeys abroad, , how many square-meters to live on, how big a lawn, how many cars, dogs, friends, , , children, , , and wives. .  

A what about the guy who keeps a herd of 5 motorbikes but lives in a small room in some attic with nothing more.  Besides, what is the philosophical reason* for comparing ones weekly meals'n'menus with uncle Benno's granddad who lived his entire life on onion soup and cold boiled water.  

I have a few friends who a remarkably purist. Fine, , , but now that they've been aware of that for 25 years, isn't time to ask themselves why and how it turned out that way. 

*Notice I don't say political 😺

Gotta disagree - too many Gibson Jumbo slopes used for British folk baroque and rediscovered blues men.  Davy Graham and John Renbourn played J-50s, Mississippi John Hurt’s first recordings after rediscovery were on Tom Hoskins’ refinished J-45, and if we throw on their long-scale cousin the Epiphone Texan we get use by Wizz Jones - and Paul McCartney, even.

Part of the issue is, does the Gibson SOUND the way you want while fingerpicked?  Coming from a more blues/jazz/folk background I LOVE the midrange-heavy, blended chordal tone  - though I see those who like greater note separation might prefer a different tone.  The J-45 and its siblings are AWESOME vocal accompaniment tools, especially when played barehanded.

Final heresy - for the first time in more than 40 years I own ONE guitar, a 2005 J-45 I bought new in 2007 and have bonded with.  I’ve owned vintage treasures among the hundreds of guitars that have been mine, and this one makes me happiest of all.  Why would I play anything else?

• Thanks 2

I think I have about 48 right now, but that’s counting some banjos and mandolins. I could get rid of many of them but the way things are (not) selling on reverb, they might as well stay put. 

Doesn’t matter what I have here, I’ll be back on the Telecaster within a week.