Gibson Brands Forums

why do epiphones sound so bad?

I bought my son an Epiphone Dove and my (then) Daughter-In-Law a Epiphone Hummingbird..... good thing they were cheap.....he never learned to play, and she ran off with the gardener

But I don't think they sounded bad!

On 3/12/2024 at 1:12 AM, egoidealmusic said:

I got an Inspired by Gibson Hummingbird about 6 months ago.  Had always wanted a bird but couldn't justify the money for a Gibson (as I already have two and bills a plenty), and had read pretty good reviews of those made in Indonesia (this is key, as they've now moved production to China and I've read that they're not remotely the same quality of guitar).  I've been meaning to give a fuller review, but here's the short version.

Really didn't think it sounded good at first, but figured I'd use it to play out so it was going to be a pickup through an amp, so it's fine for that.  Still, though, it just sounded kind of lifeless.  Also, really, REALLY heavy--I think they're way overbuilt to make sure they survive the long trip.  So I decided to try the old speaker experiment.  I've got a really good quality radio that weighs about 4 pounds and I set it right on the bridge and played a rock station at a lower level.  Have done this twice for almost a week at a pop, and what an amazing difference.  I'm not sure if it's the thicker top (and it is considerably thicker) or the heavier braces, or the poly finish, or whatever, but it took a bit to open up, but once it did I'm absolutely amazed at the difference.  Does it sounds like a Gibson bird?  No.  Is it an amazing sounding guitar that has the sonic feel of a Gibson bird?  It really is, and I'm simply amazed.  I had to tinker with the nut and the bridge and adjust the action, etc., but it's now my second favorite guitar (J-45 is still #1 and the American Eagle LG-2 is now #3).

Short version, if you can find an Indonesian made IBG and give it some time and sonic pressure (I've never used a tone right or whatever they are) I really think that these are some amazing guitars.  Gibsons?  No.  Great guitars after being broken.

Not sound related, but I got the aged natural finish and it's gorgeous. 🙂 

Impressive - the old speaker experiment alive and kicking. 

19 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Impressive - the old speaker experiment alive and kicking. 

Well, technically it's a small little box radio I got as a gift years ago and I just set it right on top of the bridge, but you can feel the vibrations moving the top, so same basic idea.  I really was amazed at the change as was my lady who now actually prefers it over my LG-2.  Of course, even she'll admit that the 50s J45 is still #1, and I agree.  But I also agree with her that the IBG Hummingbrid is now #2 in the house.

• Like 2

As a follow up, I think the only problem with the IBG series (from my example, at least) is that they are overbuilt.  The tops are thicker (you can tell just by feeling) so I'm assuming this is also true of the sides and the back, and likely the braces, which also means that they're about a pound heavier (you can see this on Sweetwater).  I get why--shipping overseas this protects them a good bit more.  The result is that they are harder to break in.  I have to admit, though, that the neck on this IBG Hummingbird is really nice--not as thin as my LG-2 which is too thin for my preference but not as chunky as the 50s J-45.  I like that thicker neck, but what's on this IBG bird is the nicest shape neck I've felt.  The pickup wasn't good and I've swaped it out for a soundhole pickup, but I don't like USPs generally anyways.

Ceptorman I thought that as well but I saw a video somewhere that was talking about that these IBG at least have a thinner finish but it's still poly.  Of course that's going to impact tone as well I assume.  I really think it's the actually thickness of the top that's more the issue which is why it took so much more vibration to get it to open up.  Aesthetically, though, I do hate that it will never relic on its own though (unlike discussions on another thread) I'm not going to do anything to fake that look.

I was referring to the standard Epis. I hear a lot of good things about the IBG line, they have great reviews.

I have a IBG 59 Les Paul. I'm pretty impressed with it.

I have to weigh in. Seems to me there is a lot of misinformation going around about Chinese Epiphones. These blanket statements about how Indonesian made are somehow superior to Chinese made ones are hogwash.  People have these ill conceived ideas based on politics and emotions, forgetting that a good guitar is a good guitar regardless of where its made. So let's remember Frank Zappa's comment to "Shutup 'N play yer guitar"!

On 5/13/2024 at 5:07 PM, DanvillRob said:

I bought my son an Epiphone Dove and my (then) Daughter-In-Law a Epiphone Hummingbird..... good thing they were cheap.....he never learned to play, and she ran off with the gardener

But I don't think they sounded bad!

Very nice sounding guitars (the player isn't bad either!). Was not expecting this, thanks for the videos.

7 hours ago, mimmo said:

Very nice sounding guitars (the player isn't bad either!). Was not expecting this, thanks for the videos.

Thanks.....I'd like to get my hands back on my son's Epi Dove..... put on new strings and see how she sounds now.... I gave him that guitar 15 years ago, got him a hard shell case, so it ought to be nearly pristine.

12 hours ago, Kevan said:

I have to weigh in. Seems to me there is a lot of misinformation going around about Chinese Epiphones. These blanket statements about how Indonesian made are somehow superior to Chinese made ones are hogwash.  People have these ill conceived ideas based on politics and emotions, forgetting that a good guitar is a good guitar regardless of where it’s made. So let's remember Frank Zappa's comment to "Shutup 'N play yer guitar"!

What about Shut Up N’ Play Yer Guirar Some More or The Return Of The Son Of Shut Up N’ Play Yer Guitar.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Kevan said:

I have to weigh in. Seems to me there is a lot of misinformation going around about Chinese Epiphones. These blanket statements about how Indonesian made are somehow superior to Chinese made ones are hogwash.  People have these ill conceived ideas based on politics and emotions, forgetting that a good guitar is a good guitar regardless of where its made. So let's remember Frank Zappa's comment to "Shutup 'N play yer guitar"!

I can’t say all MIC, Korean or Indonesian Guitars are good or bad.. I’ve had & have some really good MIC Epi’s..

I’ve had or have a few Indonesian Guitars.. In my experience most of them were poorly built Guitars..

In my experience the China built were consistently well built Guitars.. I’ve had & have Korean built Guitars & all of them have been well built excellent Guitars.. I have Japan Terada built Guitars which are the best built Guitars on the Planet.

The problem I have with most low & mid priced Asian Guitars are the Pickups, Electronics, Switches & Jacks.. I’ve upgraded one which was a gift from my kids & turned into a great Guitar.. But, it wasn’t cheap.. It would be hard for me to justify the cost of buying & upgrading as opposed to buying a good pre-owned USA, Terada or Korean Guitar.

Some of the MIC Inspired By Epi’s were built with USA Gibson P90’s, Switchcraft Jack & Switch & better quality Electronics.. They are excellent.. I can’t say they’re better than my USA built Guitars but very close..