Gibson Brands Forums

why do epiphones sound so bad?

i was at guitar center the other day and there were some epiphone acoustics that were unlocked. i picked up a few different ones, their version of the hummingbird, their version of a j45, and their version of the sj-200. on all three, they sounded suuuuuuper plastic. almost like they weren't real guitars. like they were toys at the flea market. I was especially surprised at the SJ200. it sounded not any different than the other guitars, which are noticably smaller.  the volume was very low on all three and very plastic sounding. is the best way i can describe it. 

I realize that epiphones arent built to the same degree as gibsons, but i figure that theyre still made out of wood... or are they? are they not wood?

Edited by gibsonchiq

Good question.. While they’re all made of Wood there are lots of things that go in to making a Guitar..

While a tree might be a hundred years old or more after the wood is cut some manufacturers allow the wood to age. Or they use different techniques to artificially age the wood to improve tone. 

The quality of the Wood & other Materials used.. Like Hide Glue or Super glue. What kind of inner structure.. What kind of Bracing inside? What kind of Tuners, Nut, Saddle, Bridge, Pins, Strings etc. What kind of Electronics? 

How well was it Set up?

I believe there are still a couple USA Epiphone Acoustics available that are high quality Guitars…

Edited by Larsongs

There is a cult who loves Epi’s. 

Remember before G bought them they were an American company. So if you got an old one it might  be a killer guitar.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 2

I find that any acoustic at any GC is prone to sound dull,lifeless. GC acoustics do not get their strings changed.They do not have knowledgeable people there. I played a few epiphones at sweetwater,and there was a world of difference between there and GC.I needed a good 12 string guitar  for outside, for gigs and traveling. Didnt want a piece of crap. And didnt want to risk my guilds F 412  jf65-12 or D4-12. So i settled on an epiphone. An inspired by gibson hummingbird 12 string. One of the nicest sounding easy playing 12 strings ive played in 40 years.My point is not all epiphone guitars are inferior guitars

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I got an Inspired by Gibson Hummingbird about 6 months ago.  Had always wanted a bird but couldn't justify the money for a Gibson (as I already have two and bills a plenty), and had read pretty good reviews of those made in Indonesia (this is key, as they've now moved production to China and I've read that they're not remotely the same quality of guitar).  I've been meaning to give a fuller review, but here's the short version.

Really didn't think it sounded good at first, but figured I'd use it to play out so it was going to be a pickup through an amp, so it's fine for that.  Still, though, it just sounded kind of lifeless.  Also, really, REALLY heavy--I think they're way overbuilt to make sure they survive the long trip.  So I decided to try the old speaker experiment.  I've got a really good quality radio that weighs about 4 pounds and I set it right on the bridge and played a rock station at a lower level.  Have done this twice for almost a week at a pop, and what an amazing difference.  I'm not sure if it's the thicker top (and it is considerably thicker) or the heavier braces, or the poly finish, or whatever, but it took a bit to open up, but once it did I'm absolutely amazed at the difference.  Does it sounds like a Gibson bird?  No.  Is it an amazing sounding guitar that has the sonic feel of a Gibson bird?  It really is, and I'm simply amazed.  I had to tinker with the nut and the bridge and adjust the action, etc., but it's now my second favorite guitar (J-45 is still #1 and the American Eagle LG-2 is now #3).

Short version, if you can find an Indonesian made IBG and give it some time and sonic pressure (I've never used a tone right or whatever they are) I really think that these are some amazing guitars.  Gibsons?  No.  Great guitars after being broken.

Not sound related, but I got the aged natural finsih and it's gorgeous. 🙂 

18 hours ago, gibsonchiq said:

i was at guitar center the other day and there were some epiphone acoustics that were unlocked. i picked up a few different ones, their version of the hummingbird, their version of a j45, and their version of the sj-200. on all three, they sounded suuuuuuper plastic. almost like they weren't real guitars. like they were toys at the flea market. I was especially surprised at the SJ200. it sounded not any different than the other guitars, which are noticably smaller.  the volume was very low on all three and very plastic sounding. is the best way i can describe it. 

I realize that epiphones arent built to the same degree as gibsons, but i figure that theyre still made out of wood... or are they? are they not wood?

If you got a hold of the low end ones like 499 bucks and under, they don't sound worth a ......t. The only ones that sound decent are the inspired by gibsons after you get them properly set up, especially the epiphone hummingbird. Too  there's a few made in Bozeman that are with the upper Gibsons that sound good.

Edited by the other side

2 hours ago, egoidealmusic said:

I got an Inspired by Gibson Hummingbird about 6 months ago.  Had always wanted a bird but couldn't justify the money for a Gibson (as I already have two and bills a plenty), and had read pretty good reviews of those made in Indonesia (this is key, as they've now moved production to China and I've read that they're not remotely the same quality of guitar).  I've been meaning to give a fuller review, but here's the short version.

Really didn't think it sounded good at first, but figured I'd use it to play out so it was going to be a pickup through an amp, so it's fine for that.  Still, though, it just sounded kind of lifeless.  Also, really, REALLY heavy--I think they're way overbuilt to make sure they survive the long trip.  So I decided to try the old speaker experiment.  I've got a really good quality radio that weighs about 4 pounds and I set it right on the bridge and played a rock station at a lower level.  Have done this twice for almost a week at a pop, and what an amazing difference.  I'm not sure if it's the thicker top (and it is considerably thicker) or the heavier braces, or the poly finish, or whatever, but it took a bit to open up, but once it did I'm absolutely amazed at the difference.  Does it sounds like a Gibson bird?  No.  Is it an amazing sounding guitar that has the sonic feel of a Gibson bird?  It really is, and I'm simply amazed.  I had to tinker with the nut and the bridge and adjust the action, etc., but it's now my second favorite guitar (J-45 is still #1 and the American Eagle LG-2 is now #3).

Short version, if you can find an Indonesian made IBG and give it some time and sonic pressure (I've never used a tone right or whatever they are) I really think that these are some amazing guitars.  Gibsons?  No.  Great guitars after being broken.

Not sound related, but I got the aged natural finsih and it's gorgeous. 🙂 

I've got an Indonesion Epiphone Hummingbird and after truss rod adjustment etc.... it sounds ridiculously close to my Gibson Bird. I think it's well beyond the 849 bucks. There's a couple threads in the Epibird Acoustic section that has a couple guys have a j200 IBG and I belive the J45 IBG. I haven't heard much on the ones made in china, as they are staring or have moved production of the 6 string IBG to china. But I haven't heard any complaints about the ones madein china either.

• Like 1

All Epiphones don't sound bad. That's a ridiculous blank statement like why do Chevys suck.

My daughter has a J200EC (it's Indonesian) that is a fantastic guitar for the money. I spent an hour with it last week. I'd gig that guitar in a New York Minute.

It's never going to sound like one of my Gibsons, but for about $500 (10/12 years ago) you can't beat it. It's totally gigable, stays in tune, is loud, large and in charge.

It's those Mexican Martins that suck.......

default_eusa_whistle.gif

• Upvote 1

When it comes to guitars, I cannot think of them in terms of "good" and "bad" but just different.  So, it comes down to those I really like and those I like not as much.    Think of it in terms of a J45 built from 1955 to 1960 and the current crop of 50s Original J45s.  Neither is what I would even think of calling a slacker but each has their own balance and as such their own voice.  

Me being me, I was a fan of NYC-built Epi flattops.  Overbuilt as it got but to my ear, they had an early-Guild vibe about them. And to this day I will take a NYC-made Epi archtop over a Gibson.  The low point for Epiphones though was in the 1970s into the 1980s when Gibson simply licensed out the name.  More often as not what you got were bottom of the food chain Arias.  In the end though, Gibson started doing right by the brand.

Edited by zombywoof

2 hours ago, Murph said:

default_eusa_whistle.gif

Mexican is what you go out to diner for, but I will never have a Martin from there. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

Every time I hear "It's a great Guitar & sounds great for the money" I automatically doubt that it's a great Guitar.. I've played a lot of Epiphone Acoustics & have to say I haven't been overly thrilled with very many.. Maybe they need new Strings, better Set ups etc. but when I go to buy a Guitar I expect it to sound & play good now... Regardless of Price.. 

I have not tried one but would love to try some Korean Epi Acoustics.. Korea is building some very nice Guitars...  

I've got that exact same epi AJ28, philfish.  One of many solid top/laminate sides and backs I have.  I'd always dreamed of a Gibson but didn't have the dollars back in the day.  Once I started making a little bit of money I started collecting assorted epis that were "special" (off center seam, not the best wood grain) and came to have quite a collection from the land of broken toys.  My first epi was a pr-750 12-string.  I remember it needed a set up bad and I took it to a shop and after getting it ready the shop offered me three times what I paid because of the amazing tone.  If I had the money I'd consider a Bozeman made Epi (love the Frontier) instead of another Gibson just out of a strange memory of playing many of those guitars at many a gig back in the day.  I realize the Frontier is basically a Dove (square sholder, longer scale) but still...

14 hours ago, Murph said:

All Epiphones don't sound bad. That's a ridiculous blank statement like why do Chevys suck.

My daughter has a J200EC (it's Indonesian) that is a fantastic guitar for the money. I spent an hour with it last week. I'd gig that guitar in a New York Minute.

It's never going to sound like one of my Gibsons, but for about $500 (10/12 years ago) you can't beat it. It's totally gigable, stays in tune, is loud, large and in charge.

default_eusa_whistle.gif

I played some of those cheap martins also, they were also pretty bad

I have difficulty with the overbroad assumption behind the question, “Why do Epiphones sound so bad?” Some do, some don’t. I know players who think that about Gibsons. Taylors. Even Martins. I had an Epiphone “IB’64” Texan that sounded pretty darn good. Didn’t sound like a vintage Texan, but I liked it. I accepted it for what it was.

I’ve got a Farida OT-22, which is more or less copied from an LG-2. It sounds good, is well built, stays in tune and I’ve no reservation gigging with it. But does it sound like a vintage LG-2? No. Close, but for the $423 I paid for it, it is very nice.

Some people have spent most of their playing lives playing the guitar equivalent of fast food. If you took them to a restaurant with Michelin stars, the subtleties and nuances of the tastes would be lost on them. That’s not a knock on them. I spent years playing budget guitars that, looking back, weren’t that good.

What I tire of is people thinking their budget guitar sounds as good as — or even better — a pricier guitar. I’m a member of the Takamine and Sigma owner groups on Facebook (owned one of each decades ago) and I swear, at least three times a week, some Sigma owner posts photos of his guitar and says, “I’ve played D-28s and D-45s, and my Sigma sounds better.” No, it doesn’t. It may sound good. But sound better than a D-45? No way. And it’s not going to sound better than a D-28, either. If you have indeed played D-45s and D-28s that don’t sound as good as your Sigma, then you either played a rare bad one or you have no idea how a great guitar is supposed to sound.

That said, I wouldn’t mind one of those Sigma 12-fret dreads….

Edited by dhanners623
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The higher end Epiphones sound pretty good, and the Gibson-made ones are stellar, second to none. As beginner guitars most Epiphone do a really nice job for the money. Of course you'll buy the real thing eventually.

Edited by Leonard McCoy